Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

had an A6 TDI loaner today

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by perlfather
Hmmm. A surprise. The acceleration to 60mph has been measured repeatedly by US car magazines and AUDI to be 0.1sec slower for the TDI vs. the TFSI. The German car magazine reviews often indicate a faster mid-range acceleration due to the higher torque at lower RPM as well so .... a bit surprised.
Well the German magazines are likely measuring time for the German version of the TDI - which is different from the US version (I believe in Germany it is a dual turbo)

And you can't rely on car magazines IMO because they sometimes use aggressive launch control techniques to measure times. I prefer real world driving experiences and I guess what some like to call - the seat of your pants test.

I just know how it felt to me - and the difference in acceleration between the TDI and the 3.0T was extremely noticeable

But everyone has their own likes and dislikes
Old 07-17-2014, 02:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

I agree that the TDI runs out of power at the top of the band. However, it does hold its own at the bottom of the band. Take a look at this article. http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...el-test-review
Old 07-17-2014, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick61
Well the German magazines are likely measuring time for the German version of the TDI - which is different from the US version (I believe in Germany it is a dual turbo)
Actually in Germany you can purchase the A6 TDI with 5 different diesel engines with one of them being more powerful (313PS) than the US mode, one exactly the same and 3 with lower power (136, 190 and 204 PS).

The Car and Driver article just referenced on TDI: " .... Its smooth, immediate torque delivery and the eight-speed automatic’s snappy shifts make the diesel an easy way to slither through traffic.
.... Its lag-free power delivery nicely complements the A6’s imperturbable feel and sense of unmatched solidity....

I think that has been most people's experience. Not sure where you found the lag in acceleration.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Actually in Germany you can purchase the A6 TDI with 5 different diesel engines with one of them being more powerful (313PS) than the US mode, one exactly the same and 3 with lower power (136, 190 and 204 PS).

The Car and Driver article just referenced on TDI: " .... Its smooth, immediate torque delivery and the eight-speed automatic’s snappy shifts make the diesel an easy way to slither through traffic.
.... Its lag-free power delivery nicely complements the A6’s imperturbable feel and sense of unmatched solidity....

I think that has been most people's experience. Not sure where you found the lag in acceleration.
This online magazine felt the same way as Maverick61 towards A6 TDI, so it is not just him. Previously another member posted European 10 best engine award which includes 3.0T engine as well as BMW TDI engine, but Audi TDI was left out.

http://www.autoguide.com/car-compari...535d-3756.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward%27s_10_Best_Engines

Last edited by iBetterDoNow; 07-17-2014 at 05:57 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I can say that once you learn the shifts and powerband of the TDI, it's so much fun to drive.

Someone mentioned traffic and getting in and out. I found the TDI in sport mode to be faster, more responsive, and agile when needing to get up and around other cars. Just seemed to have more pep in sport mode than my 3.0T car in sport mode.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The 3.0T and 3.0TDI are apples and oranges

I've probably put 10k miles or more on A6 models with the 3.0T in the past 2.5 years, and have 21k miles on my 2014 3.0TDI. Performance characteristics are completely different, and the TDI does require a learning curve for most who are used to normally aspirated or supercharged gasoline engines.

The 3.0T has very good power throughout the RPM range, and the TDI has very good low end and midrange power, but runs out of breath as you get close to its redline. That being said, however, in its torque peak, the TDI becomes a very interesting car. As an example, at this years Quattro de Mayo, at varying times on different drives I was running with a TTS, a TTRS, an S7, and a new Corvette and all were being driven "enthusiastically" on great curvy roads and up and down hills. My TDI had absolutely no difficulty staying with any of them. Sport mode kept the engine in its power band and, while most drivers had to refuel after each drive to have enough fuel for the next drive, I was able to fill up every other day. While I realize that most of the aforementioned cars will walk away from the TDI in a race from 0 to top speed, as the TDI is not as fast over 100mph, there are many "normal" use situations where the TDI will walk most of the others.

Whenever one of my cars has gone in the shop, I've normally been given a 3.0T A6, and thoroughly enjoyed driving it. I love almost everything about the car and powerplant. What I'm not particularly fond of is refueling the 3.0T every 4 days when I'm able to refuel the TDI every 7 days with the identical driving style and use. Regardless of which engine you choose, Audi has given us an amazing car with great driveability.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ummm, no if you look on this other threads there were many others who had the same experience I had

I know what I felt and experienced. The TDI was sluggish. Glad you like it and enjoy it but please do not try to dismiss my observations by insinuating because what one magazine wrote, I must be wrong. The difference is really noticeable IMO driving the TDI and 3.0T back to back
Old 07-17-2014, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

please do not try to dismiss my observations by insinuating because what one magazine wrote, I must be wrong. The difference is really noticeable IMO driving the TDI and 3.0T back to back
Absolutely no insinuating that you are wrong. Simply surprised and thinking that perhaps there was something wrong. I have also driven each type back to back to back. Obviously they are great cars and some (like you) are lucky to have them in the best possible color combination!
Old 07-17-2014, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had the same experiences as Maverick (see my separate thread) with my 2014 TDI loaner.
Start from a stop with half throttle, and the car moves leisurely for a second or two and then surges forward.
Make a tight turn, step on it, and not much happens for 2-3 seconds, and then the power kicks in. This is both in D and S mode, both in Comfort or Dynamic setting. There is no / very little lag when manually shifting down into 1st gear (so I guess it's not a turbo lag / spool issue, but a transmission issue).

I don't know how up to date my loaner was with software updates (2014 with 38xx miles on it).
Old 07-17-2014, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ummm, no if you look on this other threads there were many others who had the same experience I had

I know what I felt and experienced. The TDI was sluggish. Glad you like it and enjoy it but please do not try to dismiss my observations by insinuating because what one magazine wrote, I must be wrong. The difference is really noticeable IMO driving the TDI and 3.0T back to back
I have no doubt that what you experienced happened to you and has happened to other posters here. But it also has not happened to many of us. Especially those of us who own TDIs and don't find them sluggish. That's a lot more valid than a test drive. I drove them both back to back before I went with the TDI. The 2014 TDI I drove did not lag even 0.2 sec let alone 2 or 3 seconds. In fact, as others have noted, when in motion in traffic I think the TDI is flat out quicker than the 3.0T.

I recently went on a long trip with several friends and the lead car was an Audi 3.0T. He could not shake me no matter what he did (at legal or near legal speeds). His comment at the end of the first day "you were like a bug splattered on my rear window." He couldn't believe he couldn't gain space on the TDI but he couldn't. I have no doubt that at higher speeds the 3.0T wins since it has more horsepower.

Which raises the question just what is wrong the the TDIs that several posters have driven that were slugs? There has to be some explanation. I believe others have experienced this but I know it's not normal. Can anyone explain the phenomenon? I can't.

Quick Reply: had an A6 TDI loaner today