Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Heated Sideview Mirrors and AutoTilt

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Sideview Mirrors and AutoTilt

I have been trying to get this question answered and have received conflicting information. In regard to this question, the manual is unhelpful.

I am resigned to leaving my mirror switch set to Passenger Side in order to keep Auto Tilt always available. That's actually a pretty ridiculous programmatic requirement but it is what it is. But, the question. ... are my Sideview mirrors still heated even though the switch is not centered.... and centered has a mirror heat icon. In most vehicles, centered means the switch is neutral and if you bump it, you don't screw up your mirror settings. But in Audi, is there no heat unless centered?

AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oldAGE
I have been trying to get this question answered and have received conflicting information. In regard to this question, the manual is unhelpful.

I am resigned to leaving my mirror switch set to Passenger Side in order to keep Auto Tilt always available. That's actually a pretty ridiculous programmatic requirement but it is what it is. But, the question. ... are my Sideview mirrors still heated even though the switch is not centered.... and centered has a mirror heat icon. In most vehicles, centered means the switch is neutral and if you bump it, you don't screw up your mirror settings. But in Audi, is there no heat unless centered?

You push the button towards the bonnet to activate the heaters.

Then you can turn it towards the passenger mirror.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nakedhoof
You push the button towards the bonnet to activate the heaters.

Then you can turn it towards the passenger mirror.
Sorry... something is lost in translation here. So using the toggle function (or joystick function), you center the switch and you have to toggle it to the bonnet (also known as the hood for others to understand) or the little "mirror heater icon" and only then do the heaters actually activate?

So the confusion comes when the manual reads that the heaters are external temperature sensitive. Nowhere does it state that you need to center the switch and push it towards the bonnet to activate the heaters. One might assume that all you need to do is center the switch and when it's cold, they'll heat and when it's not cold, they wont.

So what you are saying is that center, push towards bonnet, then turn to passenger mirror adjustment position... and simply leave it there and the mirrors will heat and the auto tilt will tilt?

AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Indeed, I checked my owners manual, and it says nothing about pushing the button forward. The salesman told me that I needed to do that to activate the heaters.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

You don't push forward to activate the heaters. Just touching your mirrors will be make it obvious if they are on or not.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I could be wrong but doesn't hitting the rear defrost activate the mirrors as well?
Old 01-13-2017, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Cuba
I could be wrong but doesn't hitting the rear defrost activate the mirrors as well?
That's how it works on the other three autos I own. I was surprised (somewhat pleasantly) that Audi has it somewhat intelligently automatic. I hate having to possibly check every 15 min that my "rear defrost" turned off on longer drives.
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

That's correct - the mirror heaters are automatic based on outside temp. Pressing the mirror button does absolutely nothing (except ejecting the salesperson who said it would from the passenger seat when on a test drive). The passenger mirror tilt occurs when the selector is turned to the passenger side and the car is placed in reverse. That makes sense as you wouldn't always want to have the mirror til down when backing up except when parallel parking next to a curb.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Snagitseven - So what you are saying is that mirror heat is always on at and below some unknown external temperature irrespective of switch position. OK. As for tilt, I find it useful for more than parallel parking. I programmed it to also tilt away a bit which gives me a better view of my right side garage door opening, the car next to me in a lot, small animals and children...

Tomorrow I will test it using high tech tools called "hands." And an IR Thermometer.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting, never realized the mirror **** tilted forwards and backwards besides turning.

Quick Reply: Heated Sideview Mirrors and AutoTilt