Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Homelink

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 01:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I have to press and hold my Homelink button(s) to get it to respond. It takes about a full two seconds before it sends the signal. I was thinking this was normal, but I find it annoying and am going to reprogram to see if that improves the situation.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Maui19
I have to press and hold my Homelink button(s) to get it to respond. It takes about a full two seconds before it sends the signal. I was thinking this was normal, but I find it annoying and am going to reprogram to see if that improves the situation.
I think that the rolling code takes longer to respond, both my Audi and Acura exhibit a similar delay.
Anybody have other car makes experience?
Old 08-16-2015, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Mine works he same way - press for 2 seconds to open; only 1 second to close for some reason.
Figure 1 extra sec x 365 days = 365 sec / 60 = 6.1 extra minutes per year waiting for the garage door to open while listening to my music. Outrageous!
Old 08-16-2015, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Mine works he same way - press for 2 seconds to open; only 1 second to close for some reason.
Figure 1 extra sec x 365 days = 365 sec / 60 = 6.1 extra minutes per year waiting for the garage door to open while listening to my music. Outrageous!
You don't have to stop in front of the garage and then press the button. You can press it up the road so that it is open by the time you enter, after all, it is called a "rolling code"😄
Old 08-16-2015, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
I think that the rolling code takes longer to respond, both my Audi and Acura exhibit a similar delay.
Anybody have other car makes experience?
My Q7 was almost instantaneous. You would press the button, and it would send a signal. I will get used to this eventually. And Snagit, it is not a huge hardship, but I end up pressing the button and not getting the door to move. And then again, and sometimes then again. It would be nice if it worked as well in my A7 as it did in my Q7.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ahhh good to know it is working how it is supposed to. Not a biggies holding the button down for a few seconds.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

As the OP I opined regarding the positive attributes of the Audi system but I now have an issue: not that it is Audi's fault but while I was programming my car it seems that I was in range of another system. While I was in the garage the door opened on its own on more than one occasion. I ran outside to see another person arriving at my townhome complex and asked him to close his door. Sure enough, my door closed too!
Life is hard.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

As the OP I opined regarding the positive attributes of the Audi system but I now have an issue: not that it is Audi's fault but while I was programming my car it seems that I was in range of another system. While I was in the garage the door opened on its own on more than one occasion. I ran outside to see another person arriving at my townhome complex and asked him to close his door. Sure enough, my door closed too!
Life is hard.
Wouldn't a garage door opener with rolling codes prevent this from happening? The point of rolling codes is that there are so many different possibilities that are constantly changing that the chance of another opener having the same code at the same time is almost impossible.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In case it helps someone else, here are the Homelink setup instructions that helped me get over the hump. I have a 12-year-old Genie garage opener, and the default instructions didn't work for me, but these worked like a charm:

For first time programming, press and hold the two outer buttons on the Homelink panel, located on the roof of your Audi (buttons I and III), for 20 seconds until the LED indicator flashes slowly.

Press the homelink button you wish to program (I, II, or III) and hold it until the LED starts flashing slowly again.

Stand in front of the vehicle with your garage door remote and aim it at the driver's side front bumper, approximately 3"-18" away. The exact location of the homelink transmitter varies per vehicle, so it may take more than one try.

Watch the hazard lights of your car while you press and hold the garage door opener remote. If the signal is accepted by the vehicle, the hazards will blink three times. If you wait to long, the hazards will blink once (and you will have to start over). If they don't blink at all, try adjusting your distance (and check your remote batteries).

After the triple-blink, get back in your vehicle and hold the button that you are currently programming. One of two things will happen:

If the LED indicator is solid (continuous)
This means the program has been accepted and your vehicle should be ready to use.

If the LED indicator flashes rapidly for two seconds and then is solid
This means you have a rolling code opener and your Audi is waiting for additional input. Take the additional steps below:

Additional Programming Steps for Rolling Code Openers
If your LED indicator flashes rapidly for two seconds before going solid again, ascend a ladder under your garage door opener motor and press the "learn" (sometimes called "smart") button on the back of the unit. Color and location of this button will vary by manufacturer. After pressing this button on the motor, get back in your Audi and within 30 seconds press the button you are currently programming (I, II, or III) - hold it for two seconds and release. Repeat this two-second hold and release two more times - your Audi and garage door opener will synchronize the code and you should be good to go.
or additional help (or to program things other than a garage door) call or send us an email using the form below, or visit Homelink's website.

Source: Audi Mission Viejo | New Audi dealership in Mission Viejo, CA 92692
Old 09-01-2015, 11:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have programmed my 3 buttons on the Homelink interface and I wanted to point out that the programming sequence is the best, slickest system that I have ever used. My other cars have needed help or even a phone call to get programmed but the A6 is very well designed and interfaced via the MMI.
I do not like the ugly remotes hanging on the visor and I like the clean implementation of the feature. Does everyone use it and have you ever seen a better interface than the MMI for Homelink?
It only took seconds to program , just held the remote up to the home link , maybe it's because our opener is about 30 yrs old . Love the convenience !

Quick Reply: Homelink