Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

How to adjust LED Headlight brightness

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How to adjust LED Headlight brightness

Maybe i am confused between led DLR brightness and Led Headlight brightness.

I wanted to adjust my led headlights brighter
i used 09 central elect
security access 16 and entered 20113
adaptiation 10 went to channel 3 and it would only allow me to adjust turnsignal functions coming home functions and a few others i didnt see anything where i could adjust led brightness.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Do you have to have the headlamps on while you are doing this?
Old 01-30-2012, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dougpaper

i used 09 central elect
adaptiation 10 went to channel 3 and it would only allow me to adjust turnsignal functions coming home functions and a few others i didnt see anything where i could adjust led brightness.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Do you have to have the headlamps on while you are doing this?
you can adjust the brightness of

1) Daytime running lights or DRL when its set as a park light or when the headlights are on

Now, the turn signal dimming is an option in European countries where the led Daytime running lights will dim when the turn signal is activated, example would be the 2012 A7. In the US spec cars,the daytime running light completely goes out when the turn signal is activated.

That turn signal dimming also sets the LED DRL to a certain brightness when the park lights or head lights are turned on. In Channel 3 there will be a number, that is the percentage of brightness for the LED DRL when the park light or headlights are on it might be 8 or 9%, it could be higher, change the number and make it higher, then hit test, turn on your headlights and see if you like it, you can make the number as high as 100, which pretty much just sets the DRL LED lights to full brightness when the headlights are on, its a trial and error, just set it to whatever setting you like, some people 35%, because anything higher is kinda of overpowering.

Also you dont want to set it too high because i have notice that the if the DRL are too bright at night, it will overpower the turn signal lights and you can barely see them, i have done extensive testing on this, its seems that 35% is the perfect blend when you have the Full LED headlight option without overpowering the LED turn Signals.

Again, do this mod at your own risk - But if the LEDs are too bright, when you use the turn signal you might hardly be able to see them.

you cannot adjust the brightness of the Actual LED Headlights only the Daytime Running Light DRL that dim when you turn on the headlights or the park lights

Correction I don't think anyone knows how to do that at this time and i don't think that the actual LED Headlight can get any brighter, they are probably running at 100% brightness, but i couldn't be sure.

**** i wish i could make the Front LED Indicators brighter
Old 01-30-2012, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dougpaper

i used 09 central elect

On the order sheet for my A6 it said "LED Headlights w/o Range Control".

When I asked my salesperson about this, he said that was a feature on the A8.

So it may not be possible...
Old 01-30-2012, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by manishaudi
On the order sheet for my A6 it said "LED Headlights w/o Range Control".

When I asked my salesperson about this, he said that was a feature on the A8.

So it may not be possible...
If i am not mistaken, the LED headlights do have dynamic Range control, which keeps the headlights level based on car loads as not to dazzle or blind oncoming traffic.

But they don't have Adaptive range control/(for now i will call it) Adaptive range control plus -

Adaptive range control is the left to movement of the Headlights to follow steering input - the adaptive plus as i call it - is a satellite linked system which adjusts the headlight range in terms of how far it reaches based on vehicle speed and dynamic range control and high beam assistance as well as switching the auto leveling of headlights from left hand drive to right hand drive based on what part or region of the world that you are located in.

This Adaptive plus system isn't available in the US.

We only get the standard dynamic range Control for all LED Headlight cars in the US where - meaning the only up and down - the auto level to not dazzle and blind oncoming traffic.

US spec Audi's with Xenon however get the adaptive range which lets the headlights follow steering input. Example A6, A7, A8, Q7, and i believe the R8, not sure about the Q5 or any other models.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks for the help very knowledgeable board.