Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

How to Appreciate Your A6

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 11:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to Appreciate Your A6

I have my A6 3.0 at the dealer having its windshield replaced due to some unpleasant freeway debris and I was given an A3 as a loaner. Being 6' 3" my first thought was I wouldn't fit in it but anyway that wasn't an issue.

As it turns out I quite like the A3, I haven't driven a car that size for a while and in my subjective opinion it's a lot of fun. It might be a 1.8T but I found the performance to be pretty impressive, and driving back from the dealer I was surprised how high my speed was creeping without me realizing it, pretty effortless in fact. It's probably quieter than my A6. I suppose I was surprised by the capability of the smaller engine (even though it's a smaller car).

However this A3 is pretty much plain vanilla in terms of trim, I realized I am slightly lost without a backup camera and parking sensors to back into my garage, I miss Quattro because the A3 struggles under power with FWD, I miss Navigation, you get the idea. Also despite the capabilities of the 1.8T, I don't half miss having the 3.0 and knowing that effortless power is there if you need it.

I read the forum quite frequently and there is a lot of talk about gas v diesel and there is a thread about A6 improvements (most of the points I agree with actually), but I guess my point is you really miss your A6 when you don't have it. I had forgotten just how good it was until I drove something else.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrewcg
....I guess my point is you really miss your A6 when you don't have it. I had forgotten just how good it was until I drove something else.
I must say I am sort of the opposite. When I drive a lesser car, like when I had a Chevy Sonic for 3 ½ weeks last summer while my A6 was being repaired from a deer hit, that car seemed fine to me. I really enjoyed the Sonic and barely gave my A6 a thought. It was only when I had the A6 back that I could sense it was a much better car than the Sonic. Different personalities I guess. I tend to live with whatever “it is” in terms of what is presented on my plate, so long as it is basically palatable. When it is perfect medium rare prime rib I do appreciate it, but when it is a nice Nathan's hot dog I seldom wish it were more. Kind of easy to please, I guess.
What I cannot accept is when a feature (or whatever) is not working up to promise or correctly. As an example, If the car has no built-in NAV, that’s fine; but if it has built-in NAV it had better work right and be right up there with the best on the market.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think too you appreciate your car for what it is but I do enjoy driving smaller lighter cars. They are fun in a different more driver focused way.

I find myself pricing out golfs and for 22k with a manual almost am tempted to have one as a toy.

But I cannot drive around in a golf. My clients and friends will think I have no money. I am expected to excude a certain professional standing but my little secret is I'd be very happy with a golf and a manual. Not even a loaded one. Just a mid level and the tsi engine.

But no, I can't and I do love the a6.

Originally Posted by Andrewcg
I have my A6 3.0 at the dealer having its windshield replaced due to some unpleasant freeway debris and I was given an A3 as a loaner. Being 6' 3" my first thought was I wouldn't fit in it but anyway that wasn't an issue.

As it turns out I quite like the A3, I haven't driven a car that size for a while and in my subjective opinion it's a lot of fun. It might be a 1.8T but I found the performance to be pretty impressive, and driving back from the dealer I was surprised how high my speed was creeping without me realizing it, pretty effortless in fact. It's probably quieter than my A6. I suppose I was surprised by the capability of the smaller engine (even though it's a smaller car).

However this A3 is pretty much plain vanilla in terms of trim, I realized I am slightly lost without a backup camera and parking sensors to back into my garage, I miss Quattro because the A3 struggles under power with FWD, I miss Navigation, you get the idea. Also despite the capabilities of the 1.8T, I don't half miss having the 3.0 and knowing that effortless power is there if you need it.

I read the forum quite frequently and there is a lot of talk about gas v diesel and there is a thread about A6 improvements (most of the points I agree with actually), but I guess my point is you really miss your A6 when you don't have it. I had forgotten just how good it was until I drove something else.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mitch105
I think too you appreciate your car for what it is but I do enjoy driving smaller lighter cars. They are fun in a different more driver focused way. I find myself pricing out golfs and for 22k with a manual almost am tempted to have one as a toy.

But I cannot drive around in a golf. My clients and friends will think I have no money. I am expected to excude a certain professional standing but my little secret is I'd be very happy with a golf and a manual. Not even a loaded one. Just a mid level and the tsi engine.

But no, I can't and I do love the a6.
I got my 2006 Audi when I was working as a consultant in NYC in an environment where anyone making more than a secretary was “expected“ to have a decent car – I am really not sure why. It was then 3 more Audi's after that because they are great.
My current A6 lease will be up in about 8 months and I am currently looking into what I might get next. Today I went to my local Subaru dealer and checked out the Impreza Sport and Crosstrek models. They are very nice and less than half the cost of what my next A6 would/will be. I am thinking of an Impreza Sport hatch with its AWD for NYS winters and then in spring 2016 adding to the stable with a new generation Mazda Miata for summer. Together those two cars would be about the same price (or lightly less) as a 2016 A6.
When I had my deer hit last summer I finished a week-long trip to Watkins Glen for a race, then to Montreal, then back to NYC in a Hyundai Accent with no cruise and none of the goodies like Side Assist, built-in navigation, etc. I actually felt fine driving the whole way using my foot on the gas and having to look into the mirrors a lot, etc. After that trip I was able to get the rental agency to “upgrade” me to a Sonic that seemed very nice with cruise, etc.
Sometimes switching it up has its benefits – all cars these days are well designed and built compared to what I was used to growing up “back in the day.”
Old 03-30-2015, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

I quite like Subarus especially a manual equipped Legacy Outback wagon which can still be had with a manual but not the top models or big engine.

I find the new Miata awkward looking in front. Like a cartoon with lipstick like in the movie "cars". But surely the car is a value. Like I said I'd go with a golf TSi manual if I could get away with it. But I must reiterate the new A6 with the 3.0 was me coming home.

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I got my 2006 Audi when I was working as a consultant in NYC in an environment where anyone making more than a secretary was “expected“ to have a decent car – I am really not sure why. It was then 3 more Audi's after that because they are great.
My current A6 lease will be up in about 8 months and I am currently looking into what I might get next. Today I went to my local Subaru dealer and checked out the Impreza Sport and Crosstrek models. They are very nice and less than half the cost of what my next A6 would/will be. I am thinking of an Impreza Sport hatch with its AWD for NYS winters and then in spring 2016 adding to the stable with a new generation Mazda Miata for summer. Together those two cars would be about the same price (or lightly less) as a 2016 A6.
When I had my deer hit last summer I finished a week-long trip to Watkins Glen for a race, then to Montreal, then back to NYC in a Hyundai Accent with no cruise and none of the goodies like Side Assist, built-in navigation, etc. I actually felt fine driving the whole way using my foot on the gas and having to look into the mirrors a lot, etc. After that trip I was able to get the rental agency to “upgrade” me to a Sonic that seemed very nice with cruise, etc.
Sometimes switching it up has its benefits – all cars these days are well designed and built compared to what I was used to growing up “back in the day.”
Old 03-30-2015, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mitch105
I quite like Subarus especially a manual equipped Legacy Outback wagon which can still be had with a manual but not the top models or big engine.

I find the new Miata awkward looking in front. Like a cartoon with lipstick like in the movie "cars".
I would agree with MY's up to 2015, but the all-new 2016 looks much sleeker to me.