Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

How to install S-Line steering wheel emblem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to install S-Line steering wheel emblem?

Just ordered via ebay an S-Line emblem for the bottom portion of my 3-spoke steering wheel? Has anyone installed this; if so, does it involve dismantling the steering wheel, or does it just clip on? Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281622308918?item=281622308918&viewitem=&vxp=mtr
Old 04-01-2015, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I imagine it will come with double sided tape, so it will be a peel and stick. I chose to go with the below instead of the full S-Line tag.
Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2015, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would like to know how to remove it as well. But my feeling is, it is more than double sided tape but clips.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

You are correct, I was thinking you purchased just the silver badge. After looking at it again, it would appear that the S-Line badge fits in a recess in the wheel. That would be like the old badges for the S4/S6 sport steering wheels for the C4 model cars. In that case, there was a recess in the wheel and the badge was just a press fit, just sort of snapped in. Hopefully this will come with the complete surround, and it would seem to have to be a snap fit or a press fit, since I don't see any way to disassemble the wheel spoke to get to a fastener inside the spoke. Sorry I can't give you specific help.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok.. I took my trim off after sending the message . It is indeed clips. You will have to remove the airbag, then pry the trim out carefully by hands (no screwdrivers) then you'll be able to remove the badge after you got the trim out from the steering wheel.

See photos

Old 04-01-2015, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yikes! Seems it's a bit involved. Kinda nervous about messing with the airbag. Does anyone have step-by-step instructions on how to do this? Also, is the emblem attached to the center plastic ring around the airbag? In looking at my current set-up, the lower, emblem-part seems to be attached. I was told that this in an OEM part, so not sure what to expect. Emblem is shipping from Germany. Any additional advice appreciated. Thanks all!
Old 04-01-2015, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by goethe6889
Yikes! Seems it's a bit involved. Kinda nervous about messing with the airbag. Does anyone have step-by-step instructions on how to do this? Also, is the emblem attached to the center plastic ring around the airbag? In looking at my current set-up, the lower, emblem-part seems to be attached. I was told that this in an OEM part, so not sure what to expect. Emblem is shipping from Germany. Any additional advice appreciated. Thanks all!
Removing the airbag is not as difficult as it sounds. But caution is needed to prevent the airbag from blowing accidentally. All you need is a short flathead screwdriver, a mirror and 10 mins. The topic is being covered here in this forum and you can do a search.

Based on what I see, i would not recommend prying the badge out without removing the trim. The badge is clipped on to the trim pretty sturdy. You may damage the trim's holding mechanism and/or the badge if you try to pry it out.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I liked this idea until I saw that the airbag needs to be messed with.
I ain't going there.
If there is one thing I learned over the years it is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
Old 04-02-2015, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Taking another closer look at the clips, there are actually 4 clips holding the badge. Top 2 and bottom 2, the middle 2 are for the S-line little badge. The 4 clips that are holding the badge is not as sturdy as the middle 2. As you can see from the photo, they actually have tapes on them that makes it easier to be removed. You may try to pry it out carefully from the top, which would be easier in my opinion but dont quote me on it if you break it
Old 04-02-2015, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

actually, my concern is that i might have ordered the wrong emblem in that, it seems that the current lower part (which i'd like to replace with the S-line emblem) is part of the overall plastic piece that sits around and below the airbag...sigh! will wait for the part to come in and see...

Quick Reply: How to install S-Line steering wheel emblem?