Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

HVAC: Right centre side vent blowing warm

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 07:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HVAC: Right centre side vent blowing warm

I have noticed recently that on my 2 zone aircon (so manual adjustment of temperature between the two sides) the right centre vent blows warm/very warm air, while all other 3 vents are nice and cold.

It will start off blowing cold but during the journey it is as if a sensor gets out of sync, and it will start blowing warm air. If the temperature is decreased it will blow cold air (as if responding to the adjustment) and then return to warm air again.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

Where are the temperature sensors, apart from the one in the centre next to the windscreen?
Old 05-12-2016, 09:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have similar problem with heating, first I lost all heating at front. After replacing heating magnetic valve only left and centre left vents have heating, 2 on the right never regained proper heating.

Dealer couldn't find any particular fault and only suggested replacing heater core radiator.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I had this kind of issue with my 2013 A6. I have not yet had AC on much with my new 2016 A6, but maybe that will have it as well as I get into real summer here in the northeast.

When I took the 2013’s issue up with the dealer they explained that Audi’s change the mix of outside ambient and chilled air for each side rather noticeably so one can be blasting cold air while the other is sending out warmish air. They also said that while some cars are programmed just to stop sending chilled air to the colder side to equalize the temperature, Audi’s are set up to immediately send warm air if one side gets too cold.

They pointed out as well that there many variables which might cause the HVAC system to send different temperature air to one side vs. the other. Things like whether there is a passenger in the right seat (body heat), hot sun beating down on the driver’s side while the right side is in the shade, etc. Some of this we might not notice as we drive, but the sensors are constantly sensing and adjusting.

The dealer admitted that other brands keep a pre-set temperature more unobtrusively, but the down side of that is that it takes longer to achieve a balance. With our Audi’s the car attempts to achieve this equalization instantly. Very Teutonic I say lol
Old 05-12-2016, 11:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I had this kind of issue with my 2013 A6. I have not yet had AC on much with my new 2016 A6, but maybe that will have it as well as I get into real summer here in the northeast.

When I took the 2013’s issue up with the dealer they explained that Audi’s change the mix of outside ambient and chilled air for each side rather noticeably so one can be blasting cold air while the other is sending out warmish air. They also said that while some cars are programmed just to stop sending chilled air to the colder side to equalize the temperature, Audi’s are set up to immediately send warm air if one side gets too cold.

They pointed out as well that there many variables which might cause the HVAC system to send different temperature air to one side vs. the other. Things like whether there is a passenger in the right seat (body heat), hot sun beating down on the driver’s side while the right side is in the shade, etc. Some of this we might not notice as we drive, but the sensors are constantly sensing and adjusting.

The dealer admitted that other brands keep a pre-set temperature more unobtrusively, but the down side of that is that it takes longer to achieve a balance. With our Audi’s the car attempts to achieve this equalization instantly. Very Teutonic I say lol
But isn't there only 1 ambient temperature sensor at climate control panel?
Old 05-12-2016, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NEBOJSANIKOLIC
But isn't there only 1 ambient temperature sensor at climate control panel?
I really do not know where the sensor(s) is or of there is more than 1. I was simply relaying what the dealer told me. I must say that once I just ignored the fact that one of the outlets was warmish and just let myself decide how comfortable I felt the issue went away, unless I aimed the right side vents at me as the driver.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Passenger side blowing warm air but other vents blow cold

So I did some research by Google and it seemed the consensus was the AC Pressure Switch. I am taking it into the shop Friday for Oil Chg so I will have them do diagnostic then. Any help would be appreciated if anyone has had the same problem and had it rectified?
Thanks
Old 06-22-2016, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2013 A6 Premium Plus.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, Audi had my car for a day and surprise surprise did not find anything wrong. Ran a diagnostic and no errors stored. I wonder if the pressure sensor is a DIY replacement?
Old 06-22-2016, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thinking back on the issues with my 2013 A6 two things stand out. First, the heat load from the driver (me) seemed to keep the vents on the driver’s side blowing cold air a lot, while the absence of human head load on the passenger’s side (90+% of the time for me) may have required the system to heat that side up to equalize the interior temperature. Similarly, a lot of the time I was driving I noticed that the sun seemed to be hitting the car from the left (why I am not sure), further adding to the need for the driver side vents to be sending out cold air.
So far I haven’t had the issue with my new 2016 A6, but then again it has not been very warm so far this year in New York State.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Audi climate control systems might not be very good but they sure are expensive. Typical over engineered German complexity, they would do better to design one system that works well instead of two crap systems that don't work as well as the competitions.

Quick Reply: HVAC: Right centre side vent blowing warm