Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

I Want My MMI Updated Somehow

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Want My MMI Updated Somehow

I’m going for a 25k oil change on my 2013 A6 in late July. Since it looks like MMI updates that apply to the 2013 are probably a thing of the past, I want as foolproof as possible a way to get mine updated to the latest version at this visit.

What can I ‘complain’ about or give as a deficiency that will result in an upgrade. The last time I discussed MMI updates with service, they played ignorant of what an MMI update is, said they have never done an update or gave no hint as to what prompts them. Apparently I don't speak 'Audiese' enough to get their assistance. I know it takes an hour or so but they'll have the time while doing oil, inspect, wheel rotate/balance work.

I use a flip phone with Bluetooth connect, have an iPod cabled, use unlimited Google via Audi Connect so I may be limited about what doesn’t work like it should.

Any input that be credible for service to get into the MMI update mode is appreciated.

Thanks, Jim
Old 07-01-2015, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wondering what does the update do thats so much better?
Old 07-01-2015, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Depends on what version you are currently on. The current latest firmware update you can get is HN+_US_AU3G_K0814. It was released a couple of months ago for the A6. Officially it fixes navigation inaccuracies, but unofficially it has some UI and functionality changes and also some Bluetooth fixes. Earlier updates fixed a series of bugs and slow performance. 0715-2 fixed a bunch of things like Audio problems etc. You can complain about sluggish performance for example or Bluetooth issues. I got my RS5 updated a few weeks ago.

My firmware history is 0609 -> 0715-2 (update during 5k service) -> 0733 (new MMI) -> 0814 (update). Compared to what shipped with the car, the MMI is faster, more stable and less buggy now. Because I got a completely new hardware last year, I was also able to switch to AT&T which made a huge difference in the performance of Audi Connect.

Here are some screen shots of what's new on the surface.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Tell them your wife's Windows phone is having problems staying connected via Bluetooth. Audi hasn't been able to get that right for years.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
Tell them your wife's Windows phone is having problems staying connected via Bluetooth. Audi hasn't been able to get that right for years.
And the latest update doesn't fix it 100%, although it's better than it was before. I'm still holding out hope that it'll be fixed once my phone finally gets the latest firmware update.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
And the latest update doesn't fix it 100%, although it's better than it was before.
Well of course not. The issue isn't Audi, it's Microsoft. It's the same thing web developers have been dealing with for years with Internet Explorer. MS has a way of stretching standards and making edge cases the norm. All developers can do is add hacky workarounds and cross their fingers that they don't break something else in the process.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well of course not. The issue isn't Audi, it's Microsoft. It's the same thing web developers have been dealing with for years with Internet Explorer. MS has a way of stretching standards and making edge cases the norm. All developers can do is add hacky workarounds and cross their fingers that they don't break something else in the process.
Yeah, it does appear to be a Microsoft issue. I've had this particular phone for about 3 years now. In those 3 years, I used it with my current car and my previous car. The Bluetooth connection in both cars was actually rock solid until it got upgraded to WP 8.1. The 0814 upgrade improved call build up and tear down and it is overall more stable, but it still has lost the connection twice so far. However, previously I had to restart the phone and the MMI to get the connection somewhat stable again, but now it appears I don't have to do that anymore.

Perhaps I have to reluctantly go back to an iPhone, however, Apple seems to screw up Bluetooth with every major release as well and somewhat stabilizes it with a bunch of patch releases.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks everyone, I should have indicated I have version 0609.

Looks like I'll complain about Bluetooth connectivity.

I know there's something about Nav destination problems but I haven't experienced any of consequence I can remember.

Last edited by hotlips; 07-02-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Perhaps I have to reluctantly go back to an iPhone, however, Apple seems to screw up Bluetooth with every major release as well and somewhat stabilizes it with a bunch of patch releases.
I've been using iPhones since the 3GS and haven't ever had a BT issue.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I've been using iPhones since the 3GS and haven't ever had a BT issue.
No Bluetooth phone issues either but after Apple updated to iOS7 a couple of years ago, there was a problem with Bluetooth audio not displaying song info with MMI 0566 and earlier. IIRC, when I had an update to MMI 0609, that corrected the problem.

Quick Reply: I Want My MMI Updated Somehow