Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Improvements needed in A6

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Improvements needed in A6

The following list contains items that I feel Audi failed with:

1 Sport suspension is not sophisticated in its approach to handling. It is just harder and lower, the ride is therefore uncomfortable. The US needs the optional adjustable suspension from the EU versions.
2 20 inch tires create and uncomfortable ride. I am assuming that PZeros contribute to this but I haven't tried anything else. It doesn't appear that many people like PZeros so why does Audi give you tires that nobody wants?
3 The heated and ventilated seats are uncomfortable because the seat bottom is too narrow and the thigh bolsters are too hard. Audi would do better to design the best seat they can and then implement it. I believe that the seats in the S6/7 are far superior but they sell the A6 as a luxury car that does not come with commensurate seats.
4 The 4 way HVAC system needs to have independent or selectable automatic modes. If I am not in "Auto" then why would the fan speed change when I adjust the temperature? If I wanted the fan speed to change then I would have selected "Fan" and then adjusted it.
5 You should never design a car without a separate display for the entertainment system. Just because I am using the map it doesn't mean that I do not want to see the entertainment menus and data.
6 The DIS displays should ALL be available, having to select lots of options on the DIS is way too much button pushing. E.G. I want to see the cars approach with ACC and the lane recognition with the Lap Counter and the Trip Computer. Cycling though these options is not what should be necessary to check information or systems besides the real estate is there if they reduce the MPH and RPM dials to a reasonable size. If I am in ACC for the next 54 miles then the speedometer is fairly useless, firstly there are other speed indicators available and secondly, my speed may never change.
Hopefully the new GUI is designed by a driver and not a software geek so that all or any information may be displayed.

There are other little things that could be improved too but Audi does so many things right, it is a shame to spoil it with a few basic failures in design, concept and implementation.
I think that I could call my car great instead of good if the above items were addressed.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

My thoughts:

1. I have no problem with the sport suspension. I fully expected the sport package to be a firmer ride but its not overly harsh. Then again, I did get rid of the PZeros for Bridgestone RE700. (I agree Audi should pass on the Pirellis).
2.Agreed - that's why I chose the 19".
3. I actually find the Prestige seats pretty comfortable. No aches or pains even on long trips. Could be a bit cushier (and supportive if possible to do both) but otherwise they are fine. I suspect this is a very individual thing based on body size and type.
4. The point of the Auto setting is to be automatic. If you increase the temo in Auto, the fans will speed up to reach the desired temp as quickly as possible. You can always defeat Auyo and set temp and fan speeds manually as desired.
5. Most every car these days are designing integrated entertainment displays. I would imagine it would take a third display to do what you want. (Two is enough for me).
6. To have all that info on one screen would be nice but I can't imagine all that data would fit on one DIS at the same time. It would be nice if you could configure which info to display. I never use the ACC display option as it's repeated when engaged on other displays I use more often.

Most of these are relatively minor and compared to the 35+ other cars I've owned in my lifetime (including three other Audis), the A6 C7 is head and shoulders above them all in almost every single way. Are there some things they could have done better? No doubt, but overall it's still a heckuva great car so I can overlook its shortcomings.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with #5. BMW does this amazingly on their system. You get the nav map plus entertainment details on one screen.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

What does the new generation TT/TTS/TTRS platform offer in terms of #5. This would likely give a good idea where Audi is headed, the OP's views not withstanding.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
My thoughts:

1. I have no problem with the sport suspension. I fully expected the sport package to be a firmer ride but its not overly harsh. Then again, I did get rid of the PZeros for Bridgestone RE700. (I agree Audi should pass on the Pirellis).
2.Agreed - that's why I chose the 19".
3. I actually find the Prestige seats pretty comfortable. No aches or pains even on long trips. Could be a bit cushier (and supportive if possible to do both) but otherwise they are fine. I suspect this is a very individual thing based on body size and type.
4. The point of the Auto setting is to be automatic. If you increase the temo in Auto, the fans will speed up to reach the desired temp as quickly as possible. You can always defeat Auyo and set temp and fan speeds manually as desired.
5. Most every car these days are designing integrated entertainment displays. I would imagine it would take a third display to do what you want. (Two is enough for me).
6. To have all that info on one screen would be nice but I can't imagine all that data would fit on one DIS at the same time. It would be nice if you could configure which info to display. I never use the ACC display option as it's repeated when engaged on other displays I use more often.

Most of these are relatively minor and compared to the 35+ other cars I've owned in my lifetime (including three other Audis), the A6 C7 is head and shoulders above them all in almost every single way. Are there some things they could have done better? No doubt, but overall it's still a heckuva great car so I can overlook its shortcomings.
1 Did you Buy the Bridgestone RE790 because of the softer ride?
2 I didn't get the choice when I bought mine without ordering it and I never thought that the Sport/20/PZero would be as bad. (my mistake during the test drives)
3 I weigh 165 pounds and the seat is the most uncomfortable that I have owned.
4 The fan speed changes even when I'm NOT in auto, that's the part that I don't want.
5 My last Acura had 3 displays and I could choose if I wanted to display Station, Genre or Artist. On the Audi you have to switch away from what you want to go to Radio and then wait for it to download the song name and artist. Another display allows for a quick glance at the info without pressing buttons and waiting for the download. The only way to get artist on XM is using the MMI, it is not available on the DIS.
6 The ACC display shows how close I am getting to the car before it slows down behind it and if it sees both lanes. The alternate idiot lights are not a substitute for the ACC display.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Ryballz
I agree with #5. BMW does this amazingly on their system. You get the nav map plus entertainment details on one screen.
So does Cadillac and their system (CUE) gets slayed in the press.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by irenesbob
What does the new generation TT/TTS/TTRS platform offer in terms of #5. This would likely give a good idea where Audi is headed, the OP's views not withstanding.
I haven't seen the new systems but sizing, positioning, coloring etc is not rocket science. If it's not 100% flexible then they failed at emulating what others have done for years.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
I haven't seen the new systems but sizing, positioning, coloring etc is not rocket science. If it's not 100% flexible then they failed at emulating what others have done for years.
As long as they have a "default" setup I don’t have to fuss with they should be able to offer something you folks who have definitive ideas of how displays should be can customize to get what works for them. I find no issue whatsoever with the displays in my 2013 A6 except for the crappy material in the main instrument cluster lens that looks scratched when sunlight hits it at certain angles and at certain intensities. Other than that, the actual information presented by default is fine to me. I only change the little screen to the left if I accidentally hit a button or turning **** on the steering wheel. I cannot give Audi a pass on the instrument cluster lens looking scratched - to me that is the big issue they flunked on.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
1 Did you Buy the Bridgestone RE790 because of the softer ride?
No, I dumped the Pirellis a week after delivery based on my previous (unhappy) experience with several of their models. The RE970s were the highest rated Ultra High Performance A/S at the time (I live in the Northeast and am done with winter/summer swapping). Sold the PZeros for $650 to a guy with a Corvette.

Handling performance of the RE970 were at least as good as the summer PZeros and much quieter with a smoother ride. Currently 32K miles on the Bridgestones and about 10K to go before they will need replacement (almost double the reported mileage of the PZeros). No regrets whatsoever.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

1&2 is probably attributed to the 20" tires. I have the sport suspension with 19" tires and the ride is not harsh, even with the Eurocode sway bars and links.

3 try and retract the lumbar support all the way back, it made my ventilated seats much more comfortable.

Quick Reply: Improvements needed in A6