Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Instrument cluster lens swirls

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Good point, so far they have only deformed and weakened my styro-foam cups, not punctured them. I got a metal "runner's" water bottle for Christmas that reverses things a bit and threatens to do violence to the grippers when I jam it in the right side holder. The sound makes me fear each time I use it that the grippers will break, but so far they have held up. I bought a perfect sized plastic coffee mug at Starbucks (my favorite coffee) and use this even for stuff I brew at home; the fit is just so perfect.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Instrument cluster lens updated thread

For a more intelligent explanation of the issue than I have been able to provide, check out the A7 board thread named “A7 scratched instrument cluster.”

Thoroughly read post #1 by steelblue7 and look at his attached photo. Note that the photo is of his new cluster (that the dealer (or Audi) spent $10K on) the day it was installed.

steelblue7 said: “The new cluster was installed, even had the plastic adhesive still on it. Took that off, drove off happy. That was 10 am, so the sun wasn't in full fledge at that time. I went to an appointment, got out a couple hours later, get in my car, and the sun is shining on my new cluster which is scratched as much as the old one!”

Then read post #11 by fkaufman detailing how he thinks it is the very nature of the material Audi uses and these are not scratches.

If it is unavoidable to have what look like the swirls in the material uses, then IMO Audi should extend the binnacle more to provide a sun shade so we do not see the “spaghetti noodles” fkaufman mentions.

I am pretty sure many of the folks responding to my posts on this subject assume they do not have the problem because they never have seen what I am talking about. When they clean the lens it looks great in 90% of lighting conditions. I saw nothing this past winter from October 2014 until this past week. Over the winter when I looked at the cluster lens (sometimes with a flashlight looking for the scratches) and in the relative darkness of my garage it looked as smooth as glass, clear and almost beautiful. Then, as if flipping on a switch, when bright sun hits it at just the right angle – zillions of scratches and swirls appear – so frustrating to explain and show to the skeptical.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see the swirl marks. The sun has to be shining from the top to see those swirls which is on the bottom part of the instrument cluster. I tried polishing it with Menzerna 4500 but no go. I'll still see them when sunlight hits the sweet spot.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Perhaps the Germans/Northern Europeans rarely see these micro scratches/swirls and complain due living so far north where the sun rarely sines to begin with...? Though due to the lower sun angle much of the year winter especially from the higher latitude that should make them glaringly more noticable one would thing on those few sun days during the cold months they do enjoy?

I know in sunny Arizona on our A4s you can see them only along the bottom fringe section of the plastic lens. I always figured Ibmust of done that with a bit overzealous microfiber cloth work, but from this thread now see it's an endemic issue.

It's such a rare moment where it's even noticeable in our A4s I've never given it a second thought, now of course I'll be scanning my '16 A6 soon after delivery next month for the little gremlins (thanks a lot IreneBob!! ... just kidding :-).

Regarding Pringles cap plastic clarity and toughness, it's likely much too flexible to work and may not pass some melt point issue or toxic smoke safety deal to pass muster for use in a car?

Who knows , but while it's all very far from a deal breaker for me .. not even close ... I do get your point that a different material could likely be found that works better in this regard and it could be worth a letter campaign to the home office to get their attention to this minor, but very addressable esthetic matter.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Swirlgate. And while we're at it, "Cupholdergate".
Old 05-04-2015, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

ok.. I have just ordered a 3" buffing polishing pads... I'm going to give it one more shot using my drill + Menzerna 4500 instead elbow grease. Will report back with results.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Don't drill into your hand like I did a few weeks ago. I was drilling a simple hole in a piece of shiny plastic and the drill danced all over the slippery surface, then right into the hand. Got a tetanus shot - that was a good outcome. As I hadn’t had on in over 30 yrs. In the process was introduced to Advanced Healing band aids – great little way to seal off the wound and let it heal.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Swirlgate. And while we're at it, "Cupholdergate".
LOL, good one! Maybe we can add "Brakedustgate" to the list.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Sure, why not. And how about "Electricsteeringgate" and "Seatgate"?
Old 05-05-2015, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dseag2
God yes. I've stopped cleaning my wheels because they're completely coated after 2 days of light driving.

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster lens swirls