LED Fog light feature. - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion
Log In 


A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011

LED Fog light feature.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-18-2014, 03:09 AM   #1
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
DB22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 1,176
Default LED Fog light feature.

2014 A6 Prestige with full LED lighting:

I turned on the fog lights and drove on the freeway up to about 100MPH and at around 90 to 95 the fog lights turned off. After slowing to ACC set at 65 the lights stayed off. The indicator, next to the switch, indicated that the lights were turned on but they were still off so I turned the fogs off and then on again and they came on.
My second test was the same test and the lights tuned off at around 95MPH. I left them off and they automatically came on again after about 2 minutes.

The speedometer has the cruise enable speed red LED's up to 95 MPH and I thought that may be the turn off speed for the fog lights but it appears to turn the lights off just before it. I also have the speedometer speed warning feature set to 150MPH so that has no effect either.

A curious feature that a German engineer must have thought was a good idea but I am not sure that it is of any value.
__________________
2014 A6 Prestige 3.0T Chipwerke + VCDS
DB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:45 AM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
 
snagitseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SE MA
Posts: 12,290
Default

Fog lights? The A6 doesn't have 'em. Did you mean the "Cornering lights"? (Sometimes referred to as the "All weather lights"). Unlike fogs, the cornering lights point down low and out to the sides. They're not really very useful at highway speeds, even in limited visibility.
__________________

- 2013 A6 3.0T Prestige, Quartz Gray/Black, 19" Sport, Driver Assist, LED headlights,Cold Weather and B&O;
Conti DSW 06 tires; XPel Ultimate full front, A pillars,mirrors and rocker panels, wrapped edged, Opti-Coat Pro Plus
- 2002 allroad 2.7t - 14y/55K mi and still like new
- 2009 A4 3.2 Prestige w/Nav (sold at 4y/48K mi)
- 2001 A6 2.7t (sold at 8y/98K mi)
snagitseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:17 AM   #3
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
DB22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 1,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagitseven View Post
Fog lights? The A6 doesn't have 'em. Did you mean the "Cornering lights"? (Sometimes referred to as the "All weather lights"). Unlike fogs, the cornering lights point down low and out to the sides. They're not really very useful at highway speeds, even in limited visibility.
Yes, I'm sorry. I meant the "inclement weather illumination system"
__________________
2014 A6 Prestige 3.0T Chipwerke + VCDS
DB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:14 AM   #4
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 308
Default

Does anyone find it funny to drive >100mph in the fog.
dicktahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:24 AM   #5
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
DB22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 1,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicktahoe View Post
Does anyone find it funny to drive >100mph in the fog.
I hope that you were not assuming that it was foggy?
__________________
2014 A6 Prestige 3.0T Chipwerke + VCDS
DB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:42 AM   #6
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
DB22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 1,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagitseven View Post
Fog lights? The A6 doesn't have 'em. Did you mean the "Cornering lights"? (Sometimes referred to as the "All weather lights"). Unlike fogs, the cornering lights point down low and out to the sides. They're not really very useful at highway speeds, even in limited visibility.
Yes, I agree the A6 does not have fog lights but no car in the USA has them. The NHTSA does not allow you to have fog lights on unless the headlamps are on and all that the headlights do is light up the fog. Real fog lights are mounted low to illuminate beneath the fog and are used without headlights so that you can see the road but not the fog.
The A6, with its cornering lights, is a gimmick of dubious use, even Ford dropped the idea after 1998 on the Crown Vic when they realized that the cornering lights idea was past its sell by date.
__________________
2014 A6 Prestige 3.0T Chipwerke + VCDS
DB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #7
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB22 View Post
Yes, I agree the A6 does not have fog lights but no car in the USA has them. The NHTSA does not allow you to have fog lights on unless the headlamps are on and all that the headlights do is light up the fog. Real fog lights are mounted low to illuminate beneath the fog and are used without headlights so that you can see the road but not the fog.
The A6, with its cornering lights, is a gimmick of dubious use, even Ford dropped the idea after 1998 on the Crown Vic when they realized that the cornering lights idea was past its sell by date.
The LED has a very sharp cutoff and the beam is quite wide, drove in the fog at night before and it works great. The corning light/all weather cuts off above 40 (can't be sure) even if you code Fog light on with high beam in VCDS or fog light independent of low beam. However, I think the rear fog stays regardless of speed on once you press the button to turn it on.
__________________
2013 A6 3.0T Prestige, Havanna Black, Cold Weather; LED; Innovation; 20" Sport Packages, Rear Shade, Retrofit headlight washer, Stasis Rear Bar, ASA 18x8 with X-Ice Xi3 for Winter.
13c7a6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:52 AM   #8
DVE
Audiworld Junior Member
 
DVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Germany - EU
Posts: 67
Default

Some comparison in small fog ...

Click the image to open in full size.
DVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:02 AM   #9
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
DB22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 1,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13c7a6 View Post
The LED has a very sharp cutoff and the beam is quite wide, drove in the fog at night before and it works great. The corning light/all weather cuts off above 40 (can't be sure) even if you code Fog light on with high beam in VCDS or fog light independent of low beam. However, I think the rear fog stays regardless of speed on once you press the button to turn it on.
Does the VCDS programming of fog light independent of low beam allow the fogs to operate without the low beams?

FYI - in Europe it states that the rear fog light is to be used only in conditions of reduced visibility. People will come up behind you with their high beams on if they think that you are misusing the rear fog light.
__________________
2014 A6 Prestige 3.0T Chipwerke + VCDS
DB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #10
DVE
Audiworld Junior Member
 
DVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Germany - EU
Posts: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB22 View Post
Does the VCDS programming of fog light independent of low beam allow the fogs to operate without the low beams?
Thats not possible and makes no sense ... Picture shows lowbeam and the differences to allweatherlight


Click the image to open in full size.
DVE is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Audi Other FS: 2007 Audi RS4 black/black CCW ilikeit Vehicles For Sale 2 01-09-2016 09:24 AM
Audi A8 2005 Audi A8L Jan_PL_S6 Vehicles For Sale 12 11-27-2015 07:27 AM
FS: 2007 Audi RS4 black/black CCW ilikeit Pacific Northwest Discussion 1 11-20-2015 06:57 AM
2010 A6 New Owner BLACK2010A6 A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion 7 09-13-2015 09:29 AM
Audi Other 2004 S4 Avant 6MT Red/Silver 85k miles - Priced to sell! carl viking Vehicles For Sale 1 09-05-2015 05:31 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:55 PM.