Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2014, 03:09 AM   #1
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 273391

Default LED Fog light feature.

2014 A6 Prestige with full LED lighting:

I turned on the fog lights and drove on the freeway up to about 100MPH and at around 90 to 95 the fog lights turned off. After slowing to ACC set at 65 the lights stayed off. The indicator, next to the switch, indicated that the lights were turned on but they were still off so I turned the fogs off and then on again and they came on.
My second test was the same test and the lights tuned off at around 95MPH. I left them off and they automatically came on again after about 2 minutes.

The speedometer has the cruise enable speed red LED's up to 95 MPH and I thought that may be the turn off speed for the fog lights but it appears to turn the lights off just before it. I also have the speedometer speed warning feature set to 150MPH so that has no effect either.

A curious feature that a German engineer must have thought was a good idea but I am not sure that it is of any value.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:45 AM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 22753

Fog lights? The A6 doesn't have 'em. Did you mean the "Cornering lights"? (Sometimes referred to as the "All weather lights"). Unlike fogs, the cornering lights point down low and out to the sides. They're not really very useful at highway speeds, even in limited visibility.

- 2013 A6 3.0T Prestige, Quartz Gray/Black, 19" Sport, Driver Assist, LED headlights,Cold Weather and B&O;
Bridgestone RE970AS tires; XPel Ultimate full front, mirrors and rocker panels, Opti-coat Pro
- 2002 allroad 2.7t - 13y/49K mi and still like new
- 2009 A4 3.2 Prestige w/Nav (sold at 4y/48K mi)
- 2001 A6 2.7t (sold at 8y/98K mi)
snagitseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:17 AM   #3
AudiWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagitseven View Post
Fog lights? The A6 doesn't have 'em. Did you mean the "Cornering lights"? (Sometimes referred to as the "All weather lights"). Unlike fogs, the cornering lights point down low and out to the sides. They're not really very useful at highway speeds, even in limited visibility.
Yes, I'm sorry. I meant the "inclement weather illumination system"
Old 06-18-2014, 07:14 AM   #4
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 273296

Does anyone find it funny to drive >100mph in the fog.
dicktahoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:24 AM   #5
AudiWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicktahoe View Post
Does anyone find it funny to drive >100mph in the fog.
I hope that you were not assuming that it was foggy?
Old 06-18-2014, 07:42 AM   #6
AudiWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagitseven View Post
Yes, I agree the A6 does not have fog lights but no car in the USA has them. The NHTSA does not allow you to have fog lights on unless the headlamps are on and all that the headlights do is light up the fog. Real fog lights are mounted low to illuminate beneath the fog and are used without headlights so that you can see the road but not the fog.
The A6, with its cornering lights, is a gimmick of dubious use, even Ford dropped the idea after 1998 on the Crown Vic when they realized that the cornering lights idea was past its sell by date.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #7
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 250893

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB22 View Post
Yes, I agree the A6 does not have fog lights but no car in the USA has them. The NHTSA does not allow you to have fog lights on unless the headlamps are on and all that the headlights do is light up the fog. Real fog lights are mounted low to illuminate beneath the fog and are used without headlights so that you can see the road but not the fog.
The A6, with its cornering lights, is a gimmick of dubious use, even Ford dropped the idea after 1998 on the Crown Vic when they realized that the cornering lights idea was past its sell by date.
The LED has a very sharp cutoff and the beam is quite wide, drove in the fog at night before and it works great. The corning light/all weather cuts off above 40 (can't be sure) even if you code Fog light on with high beam in VCDS or fog light independent of low beam. However, I think the rear fog stays regardless of speed on once you press the button to turn it on.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:52 AM   #8
DVE
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 274548

Some comparison in small fog ...

Click the image to open in full size.
DVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:02 AM   #9
AudiWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13c7a6 View Post
The LED has a very sharp cutoff and the beam is quite wide, drove in the fog at night before and it works great. The corning light/all weather cuts off above 40 (can't be sure) even if you code Fog light on with high beam in VCDS or fog light independent of low beam. However, I think the rear fog stays regardless of speed on once you press the button to turn it on.
Does the VCDS programming of fog light independent of low beam allow the fogs to operate without the low beams?

FYI - in Europe it states that the rear fog light is to be used only in conditions of reduced visibility. People will come up behind you with their high beams on if they think that you are misusing the rear fog light.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #10
DVE
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 274548

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB22 View Post
Does the VCDS programming of fog light independent of low beam allow the fogs to operate without the low beams?
Thats not possible and makes no sense ... Picture shows lowbeam and the differences to allweatherlight

Click the image to open in full size.
DVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement