Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 01:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

MMI Entertainment Options Summarized

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 07:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default playlists using SD Card

Originally Posted by vizwiz
Did some more checking on this. The default playlist export in iTunes will not work for creating localized file references. But there is a great app on the app store that does a brilliant job of exporting the playlists along with the associated songs in a variety of folder structures. Works excellent!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/play...826?mt=12&ls=1
I just purchased a pre-owned S8 which has the B&O sound system. Wanting to get the best sound quality, I reviewed this entire thread and decided to copy my iTunes music onto a 32GB SD card. I utilized the app referenced in the thread and exported my music and playlists from iTunes using a MacBook Air. The music transferred to the card with minor issues in the file structure artist/album/song. The playlists also transferred in .mp3u format which was referenced in this thread. However, when I loaded the card and accessed a playlist, nothing would play. Either I was notified that a specific song was corrupted or it just "greyed out" a song and moved to the next and so on. I then accessed the playlist .mp3u text file from the card on my computer and noticed that the playlist song locations still referenced my file structure from iTunes. I modified the song location for a few playlist entries to align with my SD card structure (I think) without luck. The same thing happened when trying to use playlists with the MMI. In the referenced app that I used, I left the default options as is, i.e., .mp3u with Latin-1 type. Can anyone advise where I am going wrong?
Old 05-01-2015, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveS8
I just purchased a pre-owned S8 which has the B&O sound system. Wanting to get the best sound quality, I reviewed this entire thread and decided to copy my iTunes music onto a 32GB SD card. I utilized the app referenced in the thread and exported my music and playlists from iTunes using a MacBook Air. The music transferred to the card with minor issues in the file structure artist/album/song. The playlists also transferred in .mp3u format which was referenced in this thread. However, when I loaded the card and accessed a playlist, nothing would play. Either I was notified that a specific song was corrupted or it just "greyed out" a song and moved to the next and so on. I then accessed the playlist .mp3u text file from the card on my computer and noticed that the playlist song locations still referenced my file structure from iTunes. I modified the song location for a few playlist entries to align with my SD card structure (I think) without luck. The same thing happened when trying to use playlists with the MMI. In the referenced app that I used, I left the default options as is, i.e., .mp3u with Latin-1 type. Can anyone advise where I am going wrong?
Which format are you music files in? MP3, AAC, Apple Lossless?
Old 05-01-2015, 08:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Combination of MP3 and AAC depending on if I copied them from CD or purchased through iTunes.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm curious about the DVD player.

Does anyone know if a CD played on the in-dash player gets converted from digital to analog and then back before the signal goes to the amplifier?

In other words, is the DVD drive a "transport" or a "player."
Old 05-02-2015, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
I'm curious about the DVD player.

Does anyone know if a CD played on the in-dash player gets converted from digital to analog and then back before the signal goes to the amplifier?

In other words, is the DVD drive a "transport" or a "player."
I would suspect it does in a C7 with either the standard or Bose audio systems. With the B&O, which employs the digital MOST signal transport, like the jukebox or an SD card, the signal remains in the digital domain until the DAC output of the amplifiers.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I would suspect it does in a C7 with either the standard or Bose audio systems. With the B&O, which employs the digital MOST signal transport, like the jukebox or an SD card, the signal remains in the digital domain until the DAC output of the amplifiers.
The Bose uses MOST, too.

I wonder how we can figure out the answer? If I had to venture an educated guess, I would say that the DVD player does convert to analog in all flavors of the stereo. But it would be nice to know for sure.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
The Bose uses MOST, too.
All the way through the entire signal path from an SD card or Jukebox? I thought the B&O head unit and amps were digital vs the Bose in analog..
Old 05-03-2015, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
All the way through the entire signal path from an SD card or Jukebox? I thought the B&O head unit and amps were digital vs the Bose in analog..
According to the erWIN Repair Manual, there are 4 audio systems available in the C7:

Basic Audio
Standard Audio
Premium Bose Audio
Premium B&O Audio

The basic audio is analog.
All others are digital.

In fact, the proper name for the "amplifier" in Audi's Repair Manual is "Digital Sound System Control Module." That name is used for Standard, Bose and B&O systems.

MOST is fiber optic, and by definition only digital.

The question I am interested in knowing is whether or not the DVD drive is a "transport" device or a "player?"

A transport is a drive without a DAC.
A player has an internal DAC.

If I had to guess, I would think the drive is a player. That is, it reads the CD and converts the CD information from digital to analog. But then the MMI will need to convert it back digital so it can transmit over MOST.

But I would really like to know for sure whether or not that is true.
I am competing in car audio competitions where the rules sometimes dictate that a CD must be used as a source. It will be good to know how a CD is actually processed.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Have a A3 2012 model, currently have the standard issue USB AMI adapter: 4f0051510q. Have iPhone 5s and no connection is shown, tried with iPod 2nd generation and still no connection. any ideas/help?
Old 06-03-2015, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by LukeGibson
Have a A3 2012 model, currently have the standard issue USB AMI adapter: 4f0051510q. Have iPhone 5s and no connection is shown, tried with iPod 2nd generation and still no connection. any ideas/help?
The "q" version AMI cable is a USB>AMI. Not sure how you could connect any Apple device using that as their players/phones use either the older 30 pin or Lightning connectors.

Quick Reply: MMI Entertainment Options Summarized