Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 01:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

MMI Entertainment Options Summarized

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I realize this is an A/S/RS 6 page. If my query is misplaced, please disregard.

I read the first page and I'm very greatful that the opening post is being continually updated - excellent idea.
I am extreme noob at most of this and I'm a fairly recent new owner of a '08 A5. I think if I tried to read all 38 pages, my head would be swimming with input overload and may even confuse myself even worse.

Would it be ok to impose upon the knowledgeable people here to guide me through the steps necessary to update my MMI and to be able to have the functionality of using a thumb drive or HDD to play audio and video.
The previous owner was literally a little old lady who I suspect did absolutely nothing with regards to updating the MMI.
So before I go any further, I thought I would ask first and if given the nod, I'll present what I have and where I'm at and perhaps we can find the most prudent path or steps for me to take.
TIA
Old 09-03-2015, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jschrauwen
I read the first page and I'm very greatful that the opening post is being continually updated - excellent idea.
I am extreme noob at most of this and I'm a fairly recent new owner of a '08 A5. I think if I tried to read all 38 pages, my head would be swimming with input overload and may even confuse myself even worse.

Would it be ok to impose upon the knowledgeable people here to guide me through the steps necessary to update my MMI and to be able to have the functionality of using a thumb drive or HDD to play audio and video.
The previous owner was literally a little old lady who I suspect did absolutely nothing with regards to updating the MMI.
So before I go any further, I thought I would ask first and if given the nod, I'll present what I have and where I'm at and perhaps we can find the most prudent path or steps for me to take.
TIA
This thread is applicable to Audis with MMI 3G Nav Plus. In the case of the A5, Nav Plus did not appear until MY2013 so your car cannot take advantage of many of the features noted in this discussion except perhaps music played via AMI cable if your car is equipped with the port in the glove box. (It's doubtful video was supported in a 2008 A5). If so, you can get the USB cable noted in the first post which should then allow music files to play from an external drive. (Updating the MMI wouldn't be relevant to your question).

If you don't have an AMI port, there are a couple of aftermarket products that would allow you to play audio from a device if you have bluetooth in your car. You would be best served to post in the A5 forum where I'm sure someone has done this and can point you in the right direction.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I recently purchased the 4F0051510AL cable and am intending to use my old iPhone (iPhone 5s) as an iPod Touch for music only. One thing I've noticed over the five or so days since I first connected the cable/iPhone is that sometimes the iPhone won't connect when the car starts. I have the hit the home button on the iPhone to prompt connection to the MMI. Anyone else have this issue? Thoughts on resolution?
Old 09-29-2015, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mchltschr
I recently purchased the 4F0051510AL cable and am intending to use my old iPhone (iPhone 5s) as an iPod Touch for music only. One thing I've noticed over the five or so days since I first connected the cable/iPhone is that sometimes the iPhone won't connect when the car starts. I have the hit the home button on the iPhone to prompt connection to the MMI. Anyone else have this issue? Thoughts on resolution?
First, try doing a hard reboot of the phone while connected to the AMI with the car turned on. Next try doing an MMI reboot with the phone connected. Some have had success with wither of these.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
First, try doing a hard reboot of the phone while connected to the AMI with the car turned on. Next try doing an MMI reboot with the phone connected. Some have had success with wither of these.
Will do. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2015, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mchltschr
Will do. Thanks!
Two thoughts that might occur also:
1 - passcode lock on the 5s
2 - sometimes when you connect an iPhone to the computer for the first time, there's a prompt on the phone to "Trust" or "Don't Trust" the computer: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202778
Old 12-26-2015, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transferring mp4 from SD card to Jukebox

Hello fellow Audi enthusiasts,

I am having issues loading mp4 video files from a 64gb SD card into the jukebox.

Details:
Videos are around 3-5 mins in length so not too big
Mp4 format loaded on a 64gb SD card that is recognized in the player
2016 A6 MMI
M4v videos work

The issue I am having is when the card is inserted into the reader, all the files load up but when I select the mp4 videos, the player would skip these (grayed out) and go to the m4v files. I figured to change the extension from mp4 to m4v, no luck. I used handbrake to convert the files with 1800 bitrate and adjusted video size, no luck. I used a generic preset, no luck. I haven't used an official converter due to loss in quality playback.

What am I doing wrong? Any advise would be appreciated.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Did you make sure the resolution doesn't exceed the spec and the file type is supported in your manual?
Old 12-26-2015, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Did you make sure the resolution doesn't exceed the spec and the file type is supported in your manual?
Yes. Naturally the system says it can play mp4 but it isn't working. I have altered the video size and bitrate as mentioned above.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have no problem playing video from an SD card or my iPhone with my 2013 A6 so long as I follow my manual specs. I'm not sure about the new MMI in the MY2016. I assume when you're trying the videos the car is either stationary or you have VIM activated.
You might want to start a new thread with your question to perhaps attract more replies.

Quick Reply: MMI Entertainment Options Summarized