Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

My Audi Real issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 12:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys. I have been asked to put my location in, sorry about that. I assumed most people would know where London is.

I am in the united kingdom.

Its encouraging to see that perhaps its justme with this slow slow system. Its hard to not be a bit pissed. This option was 1800 quid, specifically bought because of how important sat nav is to me.

The fact a 90quid tomtom has more features, and a three year old bema was quicker to use, i do feel quite sore about the whole experience.

I will give it back to the dealer for a look at. I know how this ends though, the software is not great, they will scratch their heads and factory restore the software. I will look forward to it becoming crap again in short order. MMI is just not very good. I think its a real shame there are no formal communication channels with audi, i suspect they couldnt give a toss, i got sucked into the marketing, they made a sale. End.

Out of interest on the myaudi website is an option to download podcasts it will download for me in the night. Like most of the system the method to get this going seems impenetrable, but seems to suggest i can hook the car up to my home wifi, i have looked through every menu and find no method for doing that. I can create a wireless network within the car, but cannot find a methodology for connecting to a network. I went through the wizard and created a file to put on a memory card, but when i tried to update the system from it, it had a think then said an error occured.

Sigh.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,067 Likes on 741 Posts

Generally when somebody says London they mean London in the UK, but there is also a London in Ontario, Canada, another one in Ohio, USA and another one in Kentucky, USA. That's the ones I know of at least :-).

Don't know what to tell you about your MMI vows. Personally, I find it very good for a factory car system and it works extremely well for me. No slow downs over time. I got a firmware update at around 5000 miles and T-Mobile improved their network and also Audi upgraded their myAudi infrastructure and since then, the speed for me has actually improved compared to day 1.

I don't use many of the music features as I mostly listen to Radio, but I take full advantage of the Nav, Audi Connect and Bluetooth integration. For example I send nav destinations to my car all the time from Google Maps and pull it up in the car. Works pretty much flawless and none of the slowness you are reporting. Is it perfect? No, but what system is?

Don't know about the Podcast thing. That's a European thing. The myAudi website here in the US only allows us to send nav destinations to the car unless you have a 2015 A3, where you can do a lot more through myAudi.

The MMI has a few Bluetooth bugs that were recently found by Audi, but not fixed yet. For example if you have special characters in your contacts the MMI craps out big time. Also syncing too many contacts slows down the system dramatically. My service advisor wasn't able to tell me how many are too many, though. There is also a bug where the Nav stops tracking any satellites. Audi is aware of the issue, but there is no fix yet.

As with any software, there are bugs, but they will eventually get fixed. In your case, I think there's something else going on. You may even have faulty hardware.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-15-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read here the unlocking the doors fires up the system in the background, unfortuntely not for me.

Thats a shame.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by garethsnaim
I read here the unlocking the doors fires up the system in the background, unfortuntely not for me.

Thats a shame.
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure my MMI goes from deep sleep mode to stand by mode when the doors are unlocked. It won't turn on though

Do a test, leave the car locked for about 30 minutes, then unlock the doors, get in and turn on ignition (or the MMI itself) and wait until Navigation is ready (or phone or whatever you prefer), note how long that took.

Now lock the car and wait again 30 minutes. After unlocking the car, wait 10-15 seconds, then open the door and get in, check your phone for emails or missed calls (or anything you like do to for another 10-15 seconds) and then turn on ignition (or the MMI) and wait until there MMI ready.

The time between opening the door and the MMI being ready should be less than in the first test.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi guys. I have been asked to put my location in, sorry about that. I assumed most people would know where London is.

A quick glance at the left of a post shows location of numerous users on this forum and with an international membership it becomes very relevant to the answers that may be provided as options and features are not common to all countries.
It should not be necessary to post your location in the text if your location shows under your avatar/login name.

Another useful item is putting the year and model that you own in your signature.

As for the speed of the system, I think that is safe to say the you are experiencing issues that most users cannot duplicate so I think that you should take your car to the dealer and compare it to others. That way, there will be numerous common denominators to allow for you to determine if it is the cars hardware/software that is causing your slowness or something that is peculiar to your location, provider, phone, software etc..

Last edited by DB22; 10-16-2014 at 03:44 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure my MMI goes from deep sleep mode to stand by mode when the doors are unlocked. It won't turn on though

Do a test, leave the car locked for about 30 minutes, then unlock the doors, get in and turn on ignition (or the MMI itself) and wait until Navigation is ready (or phone or whatever you prefer), note how long that took.

Now lock the car and wait again 30 minutes. After unlocking the car, wait 10-15 seconds, then open the door and get in, check your phone for emails or missed calls (or anything you like do to for another 10-15 seconds) and then turn on ignition (or the MMI) and wait until there MMI ready.

The time between opening the door and the MMI being ready should be less than in the first test.
On my UK car (and I do not have the advanced key, it seems almost random whether the MMI screen starts with the MMI Splash screen and takes longer to start up or it starts with the default screen for the function last displayed when the car was switched off, in which case it takes less time to initiate. Of all the functions it is the navigation system that seems to take the longest to start up, presumably whilst it re-establishes its connections with the available satellites

Remember the MMI software for the US is different to the software for Europe, so it may behave differently
Old 10-16-2014, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thats a shame.
If you unlock the doors do you hear anything? I can hear some noise like an HDD firing up.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

Gareth

have you tried entering the destination in without using Audi Connect? I only have the basic RMC system and as a general rule (95%+ of the time) it is spot on with the postcode. Also once I had activated the option to give a choice of routes it became more usable as i was able to get it to ignore the daft routes that were being proposed as the quickest (might be quicker in theory but double the miles!)

The issue with Google overlay is probably down to the poor quality of the UK's 3G network, signal strength and connection speed are not linked, and also some have commented that the 3G modem Audi uses is not that fast (perhaps trying to favour quality over speed?) Not much help to you now but on the recently announced facelift the A6 is moving to an LTE/4G connection
Old 10-16-2014, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by John Simcox
On my UK car (and I do not have the advanced key, it seems almost random whether the MMI screen starts with the MMI Splash screen and takes longer to start up or it starts with the default screen for the function last displayed when the car was switched off, in which case it takes less time to initiate. Of all the functions it is the navigation system that seems to take the longest to start up, presumably whilst it re-establishes its connections with the available satellites

Remember the MMI software for the US is different to the software for Europe, so it may behave differently
In mine it depends on how long it's been between startups and if the car goes into a level of sleep (I believe there are several stages). Not sure of the time interval but if I return after turning off the car within an hour or so, it powers right up w/no startup screen. Overnight it always goes tnrough a complete boot up.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
In mine it depends on how long it's been between startups and if the car goes into a level of sleep (I believe there are several stages). Not sure of the time interval but if I return after turning off the car within an hour or so, it powers right up w/no startup screen. Overnight it always goes tnrough a complete boot up.
If you look at the "Short Term" computer it will reset every trip even if you turn the car off for a short period. I do not know what this period is but I didn't think that it was as long as an hour. This unknown period maybe the same duration as the MMI reboot period?
I have noticed this sleep mode pertaining to numerous aspects but I have no evidence to substantiate that there are more than 3 modes for all of these features.
The equivalents are:
Off
Sleep
On.

Also, does it make a difference if you lock the car or leave it unlocked for the duration of this sleep mode?

Quick Reply: My Audi Real issues