Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

My First Mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I would keep the 4 inch double wall tips. They look good and are exactly the same size that AWE uses on their cat back systems.

Name:  AWE%20A7%20exhaust%2013_zpsb5yecupg.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  205.5 KB
Old 07-03-2015, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I would keep the 4 inch double wall tips. They look good and are exactly the same size that AWE uses on their cat back systems.
Thank you TenSpeed. I owe you the biggest grattitude as it's because of your reply in previous post that I realized I could open up the stock muffler. Were it not for that realization I would have settled with split dual tips and not benefited from the much nicer exhaust sound I now enjoy. Thank you Thank you.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by IknowHuhA6
Thank you TenSpeed. I owe you the biggest grattitude as it's because of your reply in previous post that I realized I could open up the stock muffler. Were it not for that realization I would have settled with split dual tips and not benefited from the much nicer exhaust sound I now enjoy. Thank you Thank you.
You're very welcome. I was going to modify the stock muffler but I came across a smokin' deal on a used AWE touring exhaust that I couldn't pass up.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You're very welcome. I was going to modify the stock muffler but I came across a smokin' deal on a used AWE touring exhaust that I couldn't pass up.
I was almost convinced on the AWE exhaust and almost hit the "BUY" button many many times. It's a very nice sound and I was almost sold on it after listening to a myriad of youtube audi exhaust clips, but found the Borla Cat back system and I liked that cat back the best for my preference.

At present time, given my custom CAI with removed supercharger noise insulation pieces and this muffler mod; The car sounds perfectly balanced with a great blower whine and great exhaust sound with neither overtaking the other. I'm super happy about that!
If I change the tips it will be because I'm curious how the rolled edge tips will look, and I can still do the 4" rolled edge tips.
At $200 installed it's a no brainer for me.

But when I get to doing my GIAC tune, my exhaust preference may change. Time will tell.
Attached Images  

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 07-03-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow looks awesome Steve - I think I may go that same route. So did you pick up the tips and the catback at your local shop and they installed, all for $200? I'll have to do some looking on the google machine to find a good place in Seattle. Or better yet...

Any AWers from the Seattle area have a muffler shop that they'd recommend?
Old 07-04-2015, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Seattlite_A6C7
wow looks awesome Steve - I think I may go that same route. So did you pick up the tips and the catback at your local shop and they installed, all for $200? I'll have to do some looking on the google machine to find a good place in Seattle. Or better yet...

Any AWers from the Seattle area have a muffler shop that they'd recommend?
Happy 4th of July to all.
It wasn't a cat back system although they have done great job on cat backs for me in the past. They simply cut off my single existing tip from stock muffler, cut open the muffler for second opening and added the two new exhaust tips at each muffler. They are literally a mom & pop (family business) shop so that's highly likely why I got the great pricing.

I'm pretty sure they gave me a discount on installation since I've taken all my various cars there for past 20 years, but I didn't question for specifics on that great price, just accepted it with a BIG smile.

These were weld-on tips which I prefer and not the clip on or screw in type which i don't like very much. All my cars are built for performance, and any aesthetic mods need to "cut the mustard" as well. = )
The price was for the tips and also installation. So sounds like your best bet is to find a local muffler shop that doesn't price gouge.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it looks amazing and love it.

When you say they cut open the muffler, you had a stub that they were able to open up correct? I'm sad as I don't have said stub.

BTW full inbox sir.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BillBoost37
I think it looks amazing and love it.

When you say they cut open the muffler, you had a stub that they were able to open up correct? I'm sad as I don't have said stub.

BTW full inbox sir.
Yeah sorry, been getting few questions about my mods lately. Inbox cleared. Yeah see Tenspeed's post where he gave me the secret to beautiful exhaust sound. Other photo below shows cut out.

There is a thread about cutting out the stock muffler and adding tips. It started an a hidden outlet pointing down then converted to a quad setup with a valance like yours. IIRC it was "jerrys4" or something like that. I'll go look.

Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2015, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you tell us a bit more about the new exhaust sound you're experiencing with the cutout?
You used the word drone in your first post...is it a deeper tone or is there an annoying drone? Thanks
Old 07-06-2015, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2008A6
Can you tell us a bit more about the new exhaust sound you're experiencing with the cutout?
You used the word drone in your first post...is it a deeper tone or is there an annoying drone? Thanks
Yeah kinda of hard to explain without being able to post video soundclip so let me try explaining this way. Google definitions state..
1. Tone: a musical or vocal sound with reference to its pitch, quality, and strength..
2. Drone: a low continuous humming sound.

So based on that.. exhaust has low drone that is slightly audible at low speed but gets drowned out by air from open windows at steady speed on highway. Stepping on gas you can definitely hear a deeper tone to the exhaust. So when you fluctuate gas pedal you will hear deeper tone and slight drone at certain low speeds in quiet neighborhoods.
Best part is I can always weld-up the newly opened hole and go back to single exhaust if I wanted. But no chance. Loving the sound and the look.
Hope that helps paint better sound picture.

After searching many many youtube clips on various exhaust systems for Audi, this mod is nowhere as loud as the aftermarket systems so it's an affordable mild upgrade in my opinion.

Quick Reply: My First Mod