Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Need Brake pad advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have a DIY for replacing the front brakes + Rotors on a Q5 or alike? I'm at 48k and it's time to replace them. Suggestions or thoughts on where to buy/what to buy being OEM or aftermarket that don't give any problems?

My main reason for this question is the sensor. I've changed brakes on GM cars before but never an Audi. If there's a link to a DIY please post. I've search with little luck on this.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Senadye0
Anyone have a DIY for replacing the front brakes + Rotors on a Q5 or alike? I'm at 48k and it's time to replace them. Suggestions or thoughts on where to buy/what to buy being OEM or aftermarket that don't give any problems?

My main reason for this question is the sensor. I've changed brakes on GM cars before but never an Audi. If there's a link to a DIY please post. I've search with little luck on this.
I found this video on YouTube. It covers the 2012 Q5 and he says that many more Audi brakes are similar. He has a neat tool to push the puck back into the caliper. I was going to say that I would have pushed the puck back with the old pads but Audi is different from the GM's. The pads have to be seated both on the puck and on the outer pad. At least there no guide pin in a tube to lube like GM has.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you!! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Lastly, Parts.. recommendations ?
Old 02-24-2015, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Senadye0
Thank you!! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Lastly, Parts.. recommendations ?
You're welcome.

I usually get my brake parts from RockAuto.com. They carry most brands and have a large selection from economy to performance. With all the threads about brake squeal and excessive dust, I would look at the ceramic pads.

As long as you have everything apart, think about spraying a coat of paint on the calipers and rotor hat. I have been using regular Krylon black gloss for years and freshen them up in the spring when the winter wheels come off.

RockAuto 5% discount code -> 2900674126668835

Expires April 26, 2015
Old 03-18-2015, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Ever use the slotted and drilled Rotors from RockAuto? That's what I went with but I've been getting mention of warping issues.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I love these brake threads!
Everybody hates brake dust, but do you hate it enough to accept lower brake performance?
If you get less dust due to the ceramic pads, there is a countervailing reason.
I clean my wheels, on 3 cars, once a week. Yes it's a pain, but I like consistent brake performance.
Now insofar as after market rotors are concerned, generally I have used OEM, but have tried Zimmermann rotors and have been impressed. Many of the brands I see mentioned online are made in China, so if you feel ok with that go right ahead, I wouldn't use any China made brake equipment ever!
A place I use and have been very impressed with their fast delivery and great selection is
BMW Parts, Mercedes, Porsche, Saab, VW, Volvo, Audi and Mini Parts
Old 03-19-2015, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Diogenes
Here's another vote for Akebono Euro Ceramics. Put them on my A4. Perform well, not dust.
+1 and they seem to last quite a bit longer. I replaced front and rear at 17k. Rears usually go faster than the front as they're not nearly as thick as the fronts.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

brake diy is a piece of cake and same as c6 (plenty of write ups) except you need a 9mm "long" hex bit for the fronts.

Last edited by r1racer; 03-19-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DB22
If it's brand new then you have a warranty and a dealer. Tell them to give you a call when it's fixed. I have 20k miles and have never heard the brakes make any noise.
Agree totally. My 14 Prestige with 14K has never had any brake noise despite temps in single digits. My previous S4 however got noisy however at low temps. Took to dealer they replaced the pads and rotors at no charge! No more noise!
Old 04-06-2015, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My A6 now has 21K miles on it.

I was at the dealer to buy a fuel filter and had them look at the brakes which are now making noise, hot or cold, light pressure low speed. They said that my rotors were glazed and would fix that for free this time -- a $195 value evidently to them, a warranty/customer satisfaction issue to me.

I'll be getting it back later today. I'm no race car driver and normally a set of brakes last me 80K+ with rotors always warping about 50-60K into their service life, showing up during fast stops during freeway driving. I didn't even think modern rotors/pads could overheat in anything resembling normal driving patterns.

So how they overheated creating said glazed condition is beyond me. If they have problems again, I'll just replace the pads and rotors. Its fair to say I'll not be replacing with OEM equipment...

Heads up for any other A6 "racecar" owners like myself!

Quick Reply: Need Brake pad advice