Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Grinding sound when accelerating from stop...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grinding sound when accelerating from stop...

As the thread suggests when I accelerate slowly from a complete stop I hear a crunching [like crunching a plastic water bottle] or grinding from the front undercarriage. Only happens from a stop. If I slow down and accelerate it doesn't happen. It doesn't happen if I'm turning left or right from a stop but just straight line acceleration from stop. Anyone experience this or know what maybe causing this? Thanks!
Old 01-05-2016, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never heard of that, but I would go straight to the dealer. Hopefully they can replicate the issue
Old 01-05-2016, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NVThs1
Never heard of that, but I would go straight to the dealer. Hopefully they can replicate the issue
Yes will take it to the dealer. I can replicate it every time so that wouldn't be a problem me thinks.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dshahs420
Yes will take it to the dealer. I can replicate it every time so that wouldn't be a problem me thinks.
Good luck & please let us know what you find out!
Old 01-05-2016, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
Good luck & please let us know what you find out!
Will do.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Not saying you do not have a mechanical problem but I had same thing in first or second week of ownership. It sounded like the internals of the rear axle had given up the ghost. Totally freaked me out so I called AAA and car went on a flatbed to dealer. Upon removing car from flatbed at dealer I happened to be 10 feet away and looked at car as it was coming down -- saw something hanging down a couple of inches in center of undercarriage. Told flatbed driver and we both crawled under car and removed a 4 foot long thin tree branch that I must have picked up driving through the heavily vegetated older residential area where the noise became apparent. I did look under car when I first heard the noise but did not see anything out of the ordinary. The branch was lodged in one of those aerodynamic undercarriage panels we have on our A6s. Kind of embarrassing but was glad not an issue with the car. I hope your issue and fix is as simple.

Best,
Jeff
Old 01-05-2016, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Acuransx
Not saying you do not have a mechanical problem but I had same thing in first or second week of ownership. It sounded like the internals of the rear axle had given up the ghost. Totally freaked me out so I called AAA and car went on a flatbed to dealer. Upon removing car from flatbed at dealer I happened to be 10 feet away and looked at car as it was coming down -- saw something hanging down a couple of inches in center of undercarriage. Told flatbed driver and we both crawled under car and removed a 4 foot long thin tree branch that I must have picked up driving through the heavily vegetated older residential area where the noise became apparent. I did look under car when I first heard the noise but did not see anything out of the ordinary. The branch was lodged in one of those aerodynamic undercarriage panels we have on our A6s. Kind of embarrassing but was glad not an issue with the car. I hope your issue and fix is as simple.

Best,
Jeff
Thanks Jeff. Hope it's something as silly as yours. I just did get an oil change. I'll look under the car just in case somethings there.