Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Park Assist

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 09:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mickelin
And yet, Audi sales are at all time high! They must be doing something right...
Yet even at an all time high, its still a fraction of what BMW and Benz sell.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mike_L
My question is, why can Audi not find it in the budget to include these things, but BMW and Mercedes can? Seems like either they're paying too much for materials and parts, they want a bigger profit than they should be getting, or they're paying their corporate people too much.

In this day and age, theres absolutely no reason to skimp on features. You can get most of the stuff available on high end models on the cheapest economy cars. Like LED headlights. Audi has the nerve to charge extra for it, when Toyota includes them on the Corolla. Self parking can be found on the Fusion. These are cars that cost a fraction of the A6, but manage to include the features Audi charges extra for, or doesn't offer at all. Something is very wrong at VW.
And you pay more for a BMW or Mercedes as well. Perhaps Audi has determined their niche in the marketplace, as well as what most of their customers want - and target that audience (and their sales volume increases have shown they are succesfull).

Shoot - look st this list:

So, for the NA region, no adjustable suspension, no headlight washers, no self-parking, no GPS linked headlight control, etc., etc.

Adjustable suspension - had one on my last vehicle - pretty useless. I put it on the setting I liked and it never changed in 8 years

Headlight washers - utterly useless. Had them on my old vehicle, did not improve visability

Self-parking - ummm if you can't park yourself quit driving

GPS linked headlight control - never had this so can't really comment but don't see what advantage it would provide

All in all, IMO these items are a bunch of useless crap that simply overinflate the cost of a vehicle
Old 05-21-2014, 10:30 AM
Banned

Your last vehicles adjustable suspension and headlight washers must have really sucked then. Properly calibrated and setup, both are extremely useful features.

Don't even start on price. The A6 3.0T is right there with the 535Xi and E350 4Matic. You aren't saving money buying the Audi unless you're buying stripped.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I notice they don't even offer the self park feature on the "flagship" A8. Seems strange to me!
Old 05-22-2014, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mike_L
Your last vehicles adjustable suspension and headlight washers must have really sucked then. Properly calibrated and setup, both are extremely useful features.

Don't even start on price. The A6 3.0T is right there with the 535Xi and E350 4Matic. You aren't saving money buying the Audi unless you're buying stripped.
Nope, the adjustable suspension and headlight washers worked fine and were of good quality on my previous vehicle - it is just that they were IMO useless options.

On the suspension - I found no need to change it. I used the setting I liked and it stayed there.

And as I said, the headlight washers did not improve visibility. If you spend the time to take care of your car, you don't need these at all. With the xpel ultimate topped with hydrophobic cquartz on my front end, including the lights, they never get very dirty
Old 05-22-2014, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick61
On the suspension - I found no need to change it. I used the setting I liked and it stayed there.
I suppose it's occurred to you that you found the setting you liked because there were several settings to choose from? Even Goldilocks didn't like the first bowl of porridge she tried.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
I suppose it's occurred to you that you found the setting you liked because there were several settings to choose from? Even Goldilocks didn't like the first bowl of porridge she tried.
I kind of knew some wiseacre would say that. Three settings - Comfort, Sport, Advanced. Advanced was for taking your car on the track. So . . .

With the A6 - you get the comfort equivalent as standard equipment. You have the option of adding sport suspension as an option. Easy.

I added the sport, done, happy, and done
Old 05-22-2014, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick61
I kind of knew some wiseacre would say that. Three settings - Comfort, Sport, Advanced. Advanced was for taking your car on the track. So . . .

With the A6 - you get the comfort equivalent as standard equipment. You have the option of adding sport suspension as an option. Easy.

I added the sport, done, happy, and done
I wasn't being a wiseacre. Some people like different things, some people want options depending upon whether they're driving alone or with passengers, some people just want options depending upon their mood. Here's one: You might travel (or move) to a part of the country that has different roads than where you originally purchased the car. 'Sport', for instance, might be more appropriate in California or Florida than in the bomb-cratered jurisdiction where I live. However, I would be a little put out to have to settle for the home-appropriate cushy suspension tuning when I travel to areas with roads that actually twist.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
I wasn't being a wiseacre. Some people like different things, some people want options depending upon whether they're driving alone or with passengers, some people just want options depending upon their mood. Here's one: You might travel (or move) to a part of the country that has different roads than where you originally purchased the car. 'Sport', for instance, might be more appropriate in California or Florida than in the bomb-cratered jurisdiction where I live. However, I would be a little put out to have to settle for the home-appropriate cushy suspension tuning when I travel to areas with roads that actually twist.
yea, some people may like playing with the different settings but I would bet 90% of the people are like me. You are used to the way the suspension reacts and never change it.

Should everyone be burdened with the cost of adding this if only a few may use it? That is what a few folks were suggesting.

And speaking of costs, one has to hope nothing goes wrong with their adjustable suspension. On my last vehicle, $2,700 to fix it when it wears out. For me, I made it to 127K miles when the suspension needed replaced. Wasn't worth it so I sold the car (had kept it as a beater even after I had the A6)

Providing it as an option is one thing, questioning "why can Audi not find it in the budget to include these things" is a completely different story.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wasn't this thread about whether or not the A6 has automatic park assist?

What happened?

Quick Reply: Park Assist