Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Potential 2012 A6 Owner - Question about overheating

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential 2012 A6 Owner - Question about overheating

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at picking up my first Audi and have my eyes on a 2012 A6 Prestige that is for sale at a local (Milwaukee, WI) dealership. The miles are a little high at 63k, but according to the Carfax it was a one-owner corporate lease car that appears to have been well maintained (VIN: WAUHGAFC0CN068163).

My biggest hesitation at this point is an item on the Carfax around 43k miles in September of 2013. It states that the A/C compressor, thermostat, and water pump were replaced, along with the 45k mile maintenance. Naturally, I called the place the car was serviced to ask a few more questions and here is the story I got:
- Car was towed in to the service center
- Customer stated that “coolant light” was on
- Technician drove the car and verified it “got hot”
- Coolant lines were warm to the touch
- Reservoir was cool to the touch
- Technician determined the coolant was low and that there was poor coolant circulation
- Water pump and t-stat replaced, coolant topped off (a/c compressor was not replaced as indicated, just removed and replaced to gain access to water pump, but it had to be listed that way for Audi's purposes)
- Technician validated the car was not overheating

There are a few "regular" service records since then. 9 months and 20k miles later the car was turned in and put up for sale.

Now, I'm new to Audi, but I'm wondering if there is any way to determine if any permanent damage was done and whether this story seems reasonable or not. I don't know if the ECU records the max coolant temp or anything that can be accessed to help determine the severity of the issue. In my mind this could have been a very minor issue if he/she pulled over immediately (I've read about the t-stat failures the 3.0 TFSI is prone to), or it could have been driven to the point of dying and caused some real issues. Any guidance/feedback is appreciated.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Since the car is over 50K miles, I assume this will not be a CPO with extended warranty and will be sold as is, correct? If so, there is always some risk. On the other hand, the car was driven for another 9 months and 20K miles without any other major repairs reported. That would indicat the repair solved the issue and nothing else happened as a result of the overheating. That said, CarFax does not capture everything. Ask to see the service records from the dealer (unless you already have). If you see there's nothing else negative reported, I wouldn't worry about the water pump/thermostat replacement - defects occur and almost always can be repaired.
Then it comes down to condition and price.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the quick response!

It is not a CPO vehicle due to the mileage. I have requested service records to match them up with Carfax, so hopefully I walk away feeling a little better about the situation. It just seems like it would be very easy to give me some of the service records if there were issues.

The price sits at ~$32k and I have yet to see the vehicle in person, as it is a 90 minute drive to the dealership. I'm told that outside of some normal wear and tear on the driver's seat it is immaculate. Based on my research this appears to be a fair price for the car assuming the water pump/thermostat issue didn't cause serious damage. As a non-Audi guy the options/packages can be overwhelming, but I believe this is loaded minus: a sport package, LED headlights, and the B&O sound system.

Thanks again for the guidance, I appreciate it.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are so many standard features on the Prestige, it's hard to tell what was added as options. Here's a discussion, so now you can research what your potential car has by looking up what is included in each option package--such as "Driver Assistance Package".

There are a number of option packages that can be added to all trims for the 2012 Audi A6. Available on all trims are the Audi Side Assist Package (which adds additional safety features) and Cold Weather Package (which features heated seats and a heated steering wheel). Premium trims can add an 18-inch Sport Package, which has a sportier suspension, bigger wheels and a race-inspired steering wheel with shift paddles. A similar 19-inch Sport Package is available for both Premium Plus trims as well as the Prestige trim. Other available packages include the Driver Assistance Package, Innovation Package and a 20-inch Sport Package (available only for the Prestige trim). Individual options available for all trims include brushed aluminum, dark brown walnut wood or fine grain ash natural brown wood inlays, black cloth headliner, metallic/pearl-effect paint and rear-passenger thorax side airbags. Full LED headlights and a Bang & Olufsen Advance Sound System, a 1,300-watt sound system with ICEpower digital amplification and 15 speakers, are available as individual options for the Prestige trim.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the reply!

This car is the Prestige trim with the cold weather and driver assistance (with side assist) packages, along with the walnut inlays. No LED headlights, no sport packages, no innovation package, and no black headliner.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sconnie17,

I am in a similar situation as you. I am looking at a 2012 A6 Prestige with 56K miles for $32,500. The car has LED headlights, night vision, etc. Only thing it does not have is the sports wheel package. Only 1 owner and has had the 45K service as well as new tires put on it. Service records look good but I am still concerned with maintanence costs in the future seeing that the car is out of warranty. Love the car but don't want to be in for a rude awakening in another 10,000 miles.

Neil
Old 11-18-2014, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by neil4
Sconnie17,

I am in a similar situation as you. I am looking at a 2012 A6 Prestige with 56K miles for $32,500. The car has LED headlights, night vision, etc. Only thing it does not have is the sports wheel package. Only 1 owner and has had the 45K service as well as new tires put on it. Service records look good but I am still concerned with maintanence costs in the future seeing that the car is out of warranty. Love the car but don't want to be in for a rude awakening in another 10,000 miles.

Neil
That sounds like a pretty solid deal Neil. Two more options than the vehicle I'm looking at and 7k fewer miles for about the same price. Assuming it isn't some obscure color combination that seems reasonable. Good luck in making your decision!
Old 11-18-2014, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sconnie,

Thanks, I have definitely been thinking long and hard about it.

Any 2012 A6 owners out there with 60K+ miles that could comment on maintenance costs of the vehicle?

Thanks,

Neil
Old 11-18-2014, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neil4
Sconnie17,

Neil
The Night Vision and LED headlights were a "Deal Maker" for me--I love them both. If service records look good, and at the price they are asking, I think you should go for it.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2012 A6 Premium Plus and just bought a 2015 A6 Prestige. Love them both! You will enjoy an Audi, I only have 23K on the 2012, my wife drives it. One thing I would consider though with those miles is the condition of the brake pads and rotors. I just checked with my local service department(Springfield, MO) on brake pads and rotor replacement costs. Full replacement, pads/rotors is $1200. Could be higher depending on your location. With that said, I would have the brakes at least inspected before buying, just so you don't get hit with the high cost of brake replacement.

Quick Reply: Potential 2012 A6 Owner - Question about overheating