Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Power Trunk Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
When you come up, I'll help you build a custom harness. I have the diagrams. We will get it dialed in. :-)
Thank you. But I doubt there will be enough time to get into the motorized trunk-close harness when I come up. Unless the Top View retrofit goes smoother than expected. But priorities.. Top view gets precedence.

If we both end up having a little extra time to figure out wire connections for trunk mod then yeah..that's be kewl and I'd definitely appreciate the help. I really just need to know how to route the wires.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by schalliol
Looks like about $760 in parts. Genuine Audi Parts has all of them (just the A version of the controller) except for the Button (which appears elsewhere for $43). Does it have to be wired just in the back or is there wiring up front? Hmm…
I can't figure out how you came up with such a low price. Please post your sources so these can be verified.....
Since parts sourcing was not provided at that low cost... I had no choice to search for own sources and my cost was more expensive.

I have finally acquired all parts needed for this project. After exhaustive searching and even a few chance-available Ebay parts... the cheapest cost for all parts has come to a grand total of $955.85 (Parts ONLY).

I have annoyed dealers... pestered 2016 A6 owners, and bothered many forum members for information to attempt this retrofit. Many thanks to everyone who helped and contributed. I will recognize them on final post after project is complete regardless of project being success or failure.

So stay tuned. Almost there.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

IknowHuhA6, have you tried talking to an Audi auto repair shop? If an A6 got rear ended then they would trash the trunk lid and everything inside it and charge it back to the insurance company. They also have resources for parts from places other than Audi so they may be able to help. I realize that most repair shops haven't fixed too many '16's that have been rear ended yet but they may have the info for routing and parts.
Maybe someone on the forum knows an Audi body shop that would be willing to help?
Old 01-28-2016, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DB22
IknowHuhA6, have you tried talking to an Audi auto repair shop? If an A6 got rear ended then they would trash the trunk lid and everything inside it and charge it back to the insurance company. They also have resources for parts from places other than Audi so they may be able to help. I realize that most repair shops haven't fixed too many '16's that have been rear ended yet but they may have the info for routing and parts.
Maybe someone on the forum knows an Audi body shop that would be willing to help?
That's a great lead... Thank you. I already have all the components. So if I'm successful in the retrofit.. others should have an idea of where to source the parts at good price.

I cannot confirm the less expensive parts price by others. I can only confirm the cost that I've incurred. So it seems the final cost for this retrofit will vary based on what others are able to find. My search for parts on the Dealer Direct website Audi genuine parts catalog online came to 1066.00 total.

If there is another site someone please post.

I rehiterate... if i'm successfull... I'll post my sources. No point in listing where I bought parts if this retrofit fails. Time will tell.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by schalliol
European C7s have had power trunks since the beginning, and now that US 16s do, does anyone have an idea of how difficult or expensive such an install might be?
Well... thanks the the OP inquiry... and thanks to luck-of-the-draw, I came across hard to find parts at used pricing... and was able to buy these parts sooner than expected and begin this mod sooner. I was not about to buy new parts at dealer pricing so the used parts dropped my cost from around $1,300 to around $900-ish.

For what it's worth... I probably would NOT have started researching this sooner had it not been for OP's post that started me on a path of no return.

Just received trunk-close motor today, the last piece needed to start installing this mod.

So I hope you're all happy
I'm going to be having Top-Ramen lunches for a week or two while you all reap the benefits of new found knowledge at my expense. Ha ha... Good move. LMAO.
I like In & Out gift cards (hint hint LOL).

Honestly... this mod was on my radar long before OP's thread...so I hope all goes well and good luck to anybody wanting to follow mod... because it is not inexpensive.

Should have installed and will report on success or failure in early March.
Stay tuned......
Old 02-10-2016, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My apologies for setting you on the path of no return. I still might do it. I know Audi parts are expensive, but I clearly underestimated how much it might take to put this in. I blew some good cash on the Xpel and Opt at other posters' prodding, so that's tamped down my enthusiasm.

I might be willing to send you a gift card, but if I did, it would be for Five Guys and not In-N-Out…
Old 02-10-2016, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No worries... I'm sure others are starting to realize ...
"My name is IknowHuh.. and I'm a mod Junkie."
LOL. All good
Old 02-12-2016, 12:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well mine is in and coded up and all working nicely...being an Avant its much more involved than the saloon as we have twin motors and the electric luggage load cover retraction.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by morski
Well mine is in and coded up and all working nicely...being an Avant its much more involved than the saloon as we have twin motors and the electric luggage load cover retraction.
Nice!! But I'm still a newbie to Audi so sorry it's taking me a bit longer. Plus I overloaded msyelf with too many projects at once. My bad.

Still trying to understand where all the wires go.

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 03-20-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Looks like I need a little help.

Reminder, I'm horrible at wiring and don't understgand the Audi wiring diagram so I could use a little help from any wiring pros.

Wires from Controller
Steady Plus has got to be power source and I need to insert that in open spot in fuse panel at passenger side trunk, under trunk cigarette lighter location.
Pin 19 & 20 are bare wire, so I assume I'll have to add connector but I have no clue where these go.

Wires from Trunk latch motor
Wires that come from controller mounted to sidewall also.
Pin 2 markings were kind of blurry so it looks like is says 2. And there is one that is unmarked.
Need to try and figure out where these go as well.

Wires from Button
The "Light on" wire that i assume just goes spliced into trunk light.
The rest of the wires are routed and connected to connector installed into controller so no guesswork there.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 03-20-2016 at 07:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Power Trunk Mod?