Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Rats--Dead in the Road

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 03:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rats--Dead in the Road

My wife really loves her 2013 a6 (2.0T premium plus) and it has been a great vehicle for her. Last week it just shut down while she was driving it. After dark. In the rain. On a 2-lane bridge. Luckily a fire truck was not far behind her and 4 great firemen pushed her car off the bridge. We had it towed to the dealership and they have had it for two weeks now. They first thought it was a faulty fuel pump, but now say it will need a new engine. 18,000 miles. I'm pretty darned unhappy with Audi right now...
Old 12-04-2014, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wow. Dangerous. Sorry that happened.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you haven't already, call Audi of America. Also, document everything.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Usually the rats stop chewing when you start the engine so I'm surprised that your wife made it all the way to the bridge. I know 2 people who had rats chew through a harness, one in the driveway and one in the garage and the car wouldn't even start.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
Usually the rats stop chewing when you start the engine so I'm surprised that your wife made it all the way to the bridge. I know 2 people who had rats chew through a harness, one in the driveway and one in the garage and the car wouldn't even start.
I don't think the OPs use of the word "rats" in his post title was referring to those rascally little rodents but an expression of "darn", "son of a gun", "bummer" or "golly gee". Or perhaps something more effusive.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

On the bright-side, if it's warranty covered, you get a brand new engine!
Old 12-08-2014, 05:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I don't think the OPs use of the word "rats" in his post title was referring to those rascally little rodents but an expression of "darn", "son of a gun", "bummer" or "golly gee". Or perhaps something more effusive.
Right. As a pastor I'm not supposed to say anything stronger ;-)

-the OP
Old 12-09-2014, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
That's what I thought too but I rarely choose the obvious
Old 12-09-2014, 03:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Reverendbiker
My wife really loves her 2013 a6 (2.0T premium plus) and it has been a great vehicle for her. Last week it just shut down while she was driving it. After dark. In the rain. On a 2-lane bridge. Luckily a fire truck was not far behind her and 4 great firemen pushed her car off the bridge. We had it towed to the dealership and they have had it for two weeks now. They first thought it was a faulty fuel pump, but now say it will need a new engine. 18,000 miles. I'm pretty darned unhappy with Audi right now...
Follow-up to my original post:
After a frustrating 18 days of dealing with the "service" department, I finally picked up the A6--complete with new engine. Hit the highway for the 20-mile drive home. Suddenly, buzzers sound and lights flash and I get a warning message that the engine is at least 1 quart low--but it's okay to keep driving. I'm nearly home so I drive to the safety of my own garage.
I checked the oil (with a dipstick I had to purchase because it came without one) and find that it's 1-1/2 quarts low. Of course when I left the dealership I was proudly presented with a lengthy checklist of items the tech had verified--including a check in the "oil level checked" box.
Good grief.
All of the events relayed to Audi USA.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverendbiker
I checked the oil (with a dipstick I had to purchase because it came without one) and find that it's 1-1/2 quarts low. Of course when I left the dealership I was proudly presented with a lengthy checklist of items the tech had verified--including a check in the "oil level checked" box.
I suppose it's possible that the thermostat for the oil cooler opened during your drive (which may be longer than the test drive done by the technician). Your missing oil may not actually be missing - just distributed differently. If the oil level changes again, then I would be worried.

Quick Reply: Rats--Dead in the Road