Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Recently Purchased A6 - Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recently Purchased A6 - Wind Noise

I bought a beautiful Dakota Gray Prestige A6 on Saturday.

I have noticed a faint air whistle, on the drivers side. It is high pitched, and definitely sounds like air turbulence.

I can only here when radio is low or off, but definitely audible, especially between 75-80mph. Sounds like my wife's SUV when we have the ski rack on it.

Going to call the dealer tomorrow, but am eager to hear thoughts/considerations on what this could be.

I also sat on passenger side while wife drove and there was noise on that side.

Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
Paul 'Peanut' Wright (08-10-2019)
Old 11-21-2011, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hmmmm, I have not heard that noise but I do drive around with the stereo blasting my favorite Sirus preset. I did notice the sun roof make a lot of turbulence noise even when it's just in tilt. I'll check the side noise tonight and get back at you!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Were your seats fans on?
Old 11-22-2011, 12:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uncbutler
I bought a beautiful Dakota Gray Prestige A6 on Saturday.

I have noticed a faint air whistle, on the drivers side. It is high pitched, and definitely sounds like air turbulence.

I can only here when radio is low or off, but definitely audible, especially between 75-80mph. Sounds like my wife's SUV when we have the ski rack on it.

Going to call the dealer tomorrow, but am eager to hear thoughts/considerations on what this could be.

I also sat on passenger side while wife drove and there was noise on that side.

Thanks.
I get the same - sounds like turbulence around the wing mirrors. Not particularly impressed - I kept checking that all the windows where up!
Old 11-22-2011, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

No AC fan (air or seat) running at time. Most definitely coming from outside the vehicle. It is at the dealership now being investigated. Not too happy that a 60k+ car has this very audible shortcoming....
Old 11-22-2011, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Air noise has been fixed. Apparently this problem has happened before with other 2012 a6 cars, and is on a technician forum that all audi service departments have access to. Door panal was removed and a seal was made around the outdoor mirror area (internally, within the door panel). No visible changes from my end but no audible whistling noise, now.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds like a easy fix. Some air bleeding in from the mirror.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Air noise has been fixed. Apparently this problem has happened before with other 2012 a6 cars, and is on a technician forum that all audi service departments have access to. Door panal was removed and a seal was made around the outdoor mirror area (internally, within the door panel). No visible changes from my end but no audible whistling noise, now.
Good that you got that fixed so easily and can now get on with enjoying your new car. My A6 hasn't been made yet. Is it safe to assume that the fix will be applied in the factory to cars that haven't been made yet?
Old 12-21-2011, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm experiencing wind noise too, but it's more toward where my head/ear is and not near the mirror.

I brought my car in for check up and now the noise is WORST. The technicians said they don't hear anything when they test drove with me.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by o'BlueTouring
I'm experiencing wind noise too, but it's more toward where my head/ear is and not near the mirror.

I brought my car in for check up and now the noise is WORST. The technicians said they don't hear anything when they test drove with me.
The technicians will be remiss to take the car up to speed with you in the car. Give them the keys and tell them to test it out for you. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, you can always find a safe place, get up to speed where the sound is clearly audible and record it with your phone. E-mail the shop the sound and point out where it came from.

These issues must not be a design issue, rather, a manufacturing issue. My car is whisper-quiet at all speeds. The only wind noise issue was when my wife woke up and said, "what's that rushing sound?" and I told her that we were going 130mph.

Quick Reply: Recently Purchased A6 - Wind Noise