Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Replacing Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires on NEW A6?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thehaviet
wow....that's a great price....you use that for your winter tires?
Yes...was looking for the criteria I noted above and when I saw these for that price, it was an easy choice. Might swap the wheels someday (all the same size), given how much better they look than the originals!
Old 05-01-2016, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

I should add that in my experience as a Product Planner at a domestic car company, I had to sign off on wheel/tire choices for my programs. I came to learn of the meaninglessness of retail pricing in judging wheel quality. While there are some differences from gravity cast up to forged which justify some price differences, brand name value and "what the market will bear" drives much of this. I have no concern buying a lower priced wheel from a quality supplier whose business model is based on aftermarket sales from excess capacity of OE suppliers, for example. They may be producing the same process wheel for BMW, Audi, MB, selling at $400-500 per wheel while also making wheels for aftermarket that sell for $100-200.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

your car does not have TPMS in the wheels! it is calculated via ABS! only the R8 and RS7 use valve stem sensors! I just changed out my wheels with 16 S6 wheels and had zero issues !
Old 05-01-2016, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am just running stock rim and tires right now so I am not sure what their sizes are.

If I go with bigger rims and tires, does that require modification to my car?

If you stay within a reasonable size and offset on the wheel and reasonable tire size you won't need any modifications on your car. Most here will run a 255 or 265 tire on a rim between 8.5-9.5 inches with an offset between 35-45. When you start moving outside those parameters, such as to a 275 or 285 tire, or to a 10-10.5 inch rim, or an offset much below 30, you really need to know what you're doing. Guys like Sean at TAG Motorsports (no affiliation) can give you some really good advice and guidance on wheel/tire choice, reach out to them.

As I mentioned, I'm running a Vossen CV5 20X9 ET33 with a 265 Conti 5P. For me it was a great choice as I prefer a 5-spoke wheel (easy to clean!), a fit flush to the fender, and a wider tire. Lots of choices!
Old 05-01-2016, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CHIO
your car does not have TPMS in the wheels! it is calculated via ABS! only the R8 and RS7 use valve stem sensors! I just changed out my wheels with 16 S6 wheels and had zero issues !
My gosh, you are right. My apologies. I had blended thoughts of my Bimmer with TPMS with my wife's Audi! Sorry! But, all other wheel/tire info still applies!
Old 05-01-2016, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Correct!
Old 05-01-2016, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4.2 Dreamer
If you stay within a reasonable size and offset on the wheel and reasonable tire size you won't need any modifications on your car. Most here will run a 255 or 265 tire on a rim between 8.5-9.5 inches with an offset between 35-45. When you start moving outside those parameters, such as to a 275 or 285 tire, or to a 10-10.5 inch rim, or an offset much below 30, you really need to know what you're doing. Guys like Sean at TAG Motorsports (no affiliation) can give you some really good advice and guidance on wheel/tire choice, reach out to them.

As I mentioned, I'm running a Vossen CV5 20X9 ET33 with a 265 Conti 5P. For me it was a great choice as I prefer a 5-spoke wheel (easy to clean!), a fit flush to the fender, and a wider tire. Lots of choices!

To clarify, my feedback above would be for a summer tire setup or a UHPAS setup. The advice on a winter setup I'll leave to others who run that.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

I went back and reviewed my Tire Rack order and realize that as one builds the package, they wouldn't even offer the TPMS option as their programming "knows" it is not applicable, so the OP can feel comfortable that this would not be a worry at ordering time.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for clarifying on the TPMS guys. much appreciated.

4.2 dreamer, you wheels look amazing. not sure the 20" wheels are a safe bet, considering we live/drive in the northeast and there are potholes all over the place.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

thanks for clarifying on the TPMS guys. much appreciated.

4.2 dreamer, you wheels look amazing. not sure the 20" wheels are a safe bet, considering we live/drive in the northeast and there are potholes all over the place.
Thanks, but those aren't the Vossens in my sig. These are the Vossens (apologies if you're seeing it upside down...(I can't figure out how to post it on my iPad without it flipping upside down dammit!)

Yes, road conditions are definitely a factor in choosing wheel size...running 20's where you are may not be a great idea.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Replacing Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires on NEW A6?