Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Retrofitting facelift C7.5 Taillights/Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Retrofitting facelift C7.5 Taillights/Headlights

I was about to purchase some OEM euro taillights for the A6 because I can't stand the red LED blinker. Then I came across saw this video that shows a C7 with the C7.5 taillights installed. They look quite good honestly and I had no idea the facelift C7.5 was already out.

My plans are to retrofit the facelift taillights and headlights. I know on the B8 A4 you needed a new trunk to retrofit the B8.5 taillights but on the C7.5 it looks like nothing major changed. Seems like a direct swap.

Now does anyone know where I can source a set? My usually connection does not have any yet. I would estimate the headlights to run around 1200-1500 and taillghts 500-700 which isn't bad at all IMO. Should be plug and play since the car already has LED in the rear/back.

Would love to hear your guys thoughts or if anyone else is also interested in doing this.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

RoW got the facelift already, in the US it will be the 2016 model year. There is a discussion at Umbau von VFL-Rückleuchten auf FL-Rückleuchten : Audi A6 4G (German) about the retrofit. The animated turn signal is not legal in the US and will not work in a pre-facelift model without adding a custom module to each light (4 modules total).
Old 01-28-2015, 02:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sorry

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
RoW got the facelift already, in the US it will be the 2016 model year. There is a discussion at Umbau von VFL-Rückleuchten auf FL-Rückleuchten : Audi A6 4G (German) about the retrofit. The animated turn signal is not legal in the US and will not work in a pre-facelift model without adding a custom module to each light (4 modules total).
So what you mean is that if i got standard lights on my A6 C7 2012, I can only buy the module you linked from Amazon and it will work as the video above?
Old 01-28-2015, 02:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
What does animated mean? It makes me think of the Mustangs rear turn signals which obviously are legal.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsC6
What does animated mean? It makes me think of the Mustangs rear turn signals which obviously are legal.
It is not the animation that is illegal, it is the square cm of illumination at any one point in time. Note that the Mustang has big 3 segments. The Audi, although more noticeable, has small segments.
The people at the US regulatory agencies all get a chauffer to go anywhere so they don't have a clue about safety or driving. Besides the US has a basic philosophy of bigger is better so the fact that the US has the same color light for lights, brakes and indicators is not relevant as long as they are bigger.

Red turn signals should be illegal.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DB22
I second that.
It's sometimes very hard to distinguish between the brake and signal light at night!
Old 01-28-2015, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

[QUOTE=335i;24640511My plans are to retrofit the facelift taillights and headlights. I know on the B8 A4 you needed a new trunk to retrofit the B8.5 taillights but on the C7.5 it looks like nothing major changed. Seems like a direct swap.

Now does anyone know where I can source a set? My usually connection does not have any yet. I would estimate the headlights to run around 1200-1500 and taillghts 500-700 which isn't bad at all IMO. Should be plug and play since the car already has LED in the rear/back.

Would love to hear your guys thoughts or if anyone else is also interested in doing this. [/QUOTE]

All-LED headlights including high-beam assist. LEDs for all front lighting functions. LED technology provides lower
energy consumption and enhanced contrast with a colour similar to daylight, for increased safety and good recognition
by other road users. Includes all-weather light function to reduce the risk of the driver being dazzled when visibility is
poor (in fog, rain or snow). Includes headlight washers and high-beam assist which automatically adjusts headlights from
high-beam to dipped-beam when another vehicle is approaching or when other ambient lighting is detected (i.e. street
lights) by a camera on the interior mirror. Also includes Dynamic rear indicators which dynamically sweep from inside to
out within 0.15 seconds. This helps to clearly identify not only that the vehicle is turning but in which direction - increasing
road safety as it is easier for other road users to determine which way cars are moving in a shorter amount of time.
Not available in combination with Audi Matrix LED headlights (PXC)
n S S – £1,125.00 £1,350.00
PXC
Audi Matrix LED headlights. A direct evolution of Audi's LED headlights, Audi Matrix technology provides maximum and
precise illumination at all times without dazzling other road users. The vehicle uses information obtained from multiple
sources including the interior mirror camera and navigation system to identify the appropriate lighting required; using GPS
data, the vehicle will use high beam, but will automatically switch to dipped lighting when entering built up areas; whilst
high beam is in use, and oncoming traffic is detected, the Matrix beam dips or fully extinguishes individual lighting diodes.
Matrix beam is capable of establishing and tracking multiple road users and illuminating the appropriate corridors of lights
either side of them to maintain maximum visibility of the road and surrounding environment without causing disruption
to other drivers. Matrix beam technology includes dynamic front and rear indicators which sweep from inside to out
within 0.15 seconds. This helps to clearly identify not only that the vehicle is turning, but in which direction – increasing
road safety as it is easier for other road users to determine which way cars are moving in a shorter amount of time.

The above is from the UK site but gives you some idea about what we are missing in the US. If you want to spend money upgrading the front and rear lights then you should get the travelling rear ambers and the LED Matrix system for the fronts. It may, however, be cheaper to buy a new car.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

The rear lights (facelift) are about 900 Euros (set of 4 parts) and the "swipe" animation will not work with a pre-facelift central control module. They guys over on Motortalk.de are talking about a custom module (see https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6996558&type=1), which is not approved in any country, that would make the new or old rears "swipe". Nobody has ever tried though to see if they work with the US version of the rear lights.

Last edited by DirkM; 01-28-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is not the animation that is illegal, it is the square cm of illumination at any one point in time. Note that the Mustang has big 3 segments. The Audi, although more noticeable, has small segments.
The people at the US regulatory agencies all get a chauffer to go anywhere so they don't have a clue about safety or driving. Besides the US has a basic philosophy of bigger is better so the fact that the US has the same color light for lights, brakes and indicators is not relevant as long as they are bigger.

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

All-LED headlights including high-beam assist. LEDs for all front lighting functions. LED technology provides lower
energy consumption and enhanced contrast with a colour similar to daylight, for increased safety and good recognition
by other road users. Includes all-weather light function to reduce the risk of the driver being dazzled when visibility is
poor (in fog, rain or snow). Includes headlight washers and high-beam assist which automatically adjusts headlights from
high-beam to dipped-beam when another vehicle is approaching or when other ambient lighting is detected (i.e. street
lights) by a camera on the interior mirror. Also includes Dynamic rear indicators which dynamically sweep from inside to
out within 0.15 seconds. This helps to clearly identify not only that the vehicle is turning but in which direction - increasing
Not available in combination with Audi Matrix LED headlights (PXC)
n S S – £1,125.00 £1,350.00
PXC
Audi Matrix LED headlights. A direct evolution of Audi's LED headlights, Audi Matrix technology provides maximum and
precise illumination at all times without dazzling other road users. The vehicle uses information obtained from multiple
sources including the interior mirror camera and navigation system to identify the appropriate lighting required; using GPS
data, the vehicle will use high beam, but will automatically switch to dipped lighting when entering built up areas; whilst
high beam is in use, and oncoming traffic is detected, the Matrix beam dips or fully extinguishes individual lighting diodes.
Matrix beam is capable of establishing and tracking multiple road users and illuminating the appropriate corridors of lights
either side of them to maintain maximum visibility of the road and surrounding environment without causing disruption
to other drivers. Matrix beam technology includes dynamic front and rear indicators which sweep from inside to out
within 0.15 seconds. This helps to clearly identify not only that the vehicle is turning, but in which direction – increasing

The above is from the UK site but gives you some idea about what we are missing in the US. If you want to spend money upgrading the front and rear lights then you should get the travelling rear ambers and the LED Matrix system for the fronts. It may, however, be cheaper to buy a new car.

Hello m8,

Did you did the upgrade? I was considering doing the tail lights only which I like them over the c7 as for the front I personally like the matrix I have much more over the new ones

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Retrofitting facelift C7.5 Taillights/Headlights