Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Slight shimmy-like sound from dash/engine bay at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight shimmy-like sound from dash/engine bay at highway speeds

Hi all,

Have a '14 TDI Prestige package with about 25k miles on the clock. I've noticed that, when the radio is muted and HVAC fans are off, I can hear a slight shimmy/buzzing like sound coming somewhere from the front of the car at highway speeds. The pitch appears to increase with pitch and the sound appears only at speeds over 45-50 MPH.

Anyone else experienced something like this? It's very light - I can barely hear it with my head turned and ears pointing towards the dash... but it's there.

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2015, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have your motor mounts checked. Do you see any oil on the ground where you park?
Old 08-08-2015, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

No oil leaks; mounts seem to be OK. I've also discovered, completely by accident, that when I adjust the steering wheel using the joystick, the sound goes away! Perhaps PS related... anyway, gonna head to the dealership on Friday and have them check it out.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Update:

Took the car in last Thursday and got me a Q7 TDI as a loaner (what a comfortable yet outdated boat!). Today I got the call - appears the noise is originating from the PS rack-n-pinion and resonating up the steering column which explains why the sound stops when I adjust the position of the steering wheel.

In any event - ordered a new rack-n-pinion system and hopefully will get my baby back on Thursday!
Old 08-27-2015, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

So - $3,500 and a new steering rack later (all done under wty of course) - the sound is still there.

Can someone with another '14 TDI try and test it out for me? The conditions are as following:

* Speed over 55 MPH
* No HVAC or Radio (it makes it easier to hear)
* Turn your head towards the dash of the car and check if you can hear a buzzing/shimmying sound.
* If you do hear the sound - use the steering wheel joystick control to adjust the position of the steering wheel; the sound should go away as you move the wheel and return the moment you stop.

My dealership will do the same.

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2015, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Would love to help, but, I'm a poor premium plus owner without the steering wheel adjustment. I'm not sure what a "shimmy" noise is. I do hear a "gear" type noise that does change based on speed notable at freeway speeds, but, it's always been like that -- assumed it was the quattro.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2014a6tdi
Would love to help, but, I'm a poor premium plus owner without the steering wheel adjustment. I'm not sure what a "shimmy" noise is. I do hear a "gear" type noise that does change based on speed notable at freeway speeds, but, it's always been like that -- assumed it was the quattro.
Even a lowly Premium Plus can help

Another way to describe the noise would be like background buzzing noise you'd hear while listening to AM/FM radio or talking on a walkie-talkie. It changes in pitch... it almost sounds like a flying insect or something along those lines.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

No noise on my 2015 TDI prestige.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

My issue is more of a "rubbing" that I hear and feel sometimes through the steering wheel. It's very slight and not always there (more so with summer temps) and it frankly hasn't bothered me much. I'll probably get around to have them checking it out and see what they say. I read where others having the same issue had the steering rack replaced but it came back.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by McFuzz
Even a lowly Premium Plus can help

Another way to describe the noise would be like background buzzing noise you'd hear while listening to AM/FM radio or talking on a walkie-talkie. It changes in pitch... it almost sounds like a flying insect or something along those lines.
Lowly Premium Plus reporting: I turned off HVAC and radio, and while driving the 101 this morning was accel/decel and messing with the steering wheel adjustment and didn't really hear anything other than that slight gearing noise that I spoke about before and nothing really changed with moving the steering wheel around. Dunno what to tell you.

Quick Reply: Slight shimmy-like sound from dash/engine bay at highway speeds