Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

So what would you do if you found a hole In a used car you just Bought?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default So what would you do if you found a hole In a used car you just Bought?

So I bought my 2013 A6 out of state last Thursday, it was marketed as clean and Autocheck showed no accidents reported, the car is beautiful and I'm very happy with my desision to get it. Today I took it to get a Maryland state inspection. It failed because the front rotors were a little cupped and there is small knick in one of the break lines, it's not deep enough to leak any fluid. Right next to the brake line kick was a half dollar size hole in the floor under the drivers seat. It looks like it's been there a while because of some rusting around the hole.
I called and emailed them pictures of what was found and I'm taking it up there tomorrow so they can access and repair. My question is how would you proceed and what would you expect if anything more than covered repairs? Im not mad or anything and the repairs is probably all I need to happen but does this affect the value of the car? What would you do? What would you think would be a realistic accommodation?

This is like 20/20. What you do?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Dskvid; 08-25-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Missing some information here. Did you buy from an Audi dealer or ??????? How many miles on the car? What kind of hole is it? Is it something were there used to be a plastic/rubber plug in it? Seems strange that there would be rust on such a new car. I just picked up a 2013 A8 and I would be extremely upset if something like this happened to me but I bought it CPO from an Audi dealer.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

I bought this for a indepentand but Long standing dealer,. The hole is from some foreign object that impacted under the car hard enough to cause a hole. The car has 42k on and came off a lease. It clean adept for this damage. I have the remainder of the manfacture through June of 17. But I don't think this would apply for this.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

A hole under the car. Does it go all the way through the floor plan to just under the carpet? For the life of me, I can't figure out how that could happen by somethong striking it in that spot.
As to the brakes, if they were worn enough to fail an inspection, they should replace the rotors and pads at no cost to you.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
A hole under the car. Does it go all the way through the floor plan to just under the carpet? For the life of me, I can't figure out how that could happen by somethong striking it in that spot.
As to the brakes, if they were worn enough to fail an inspection, they should replace the rotors and pads at no cost to you.
You see a entry and exit through the bottom cover so it must have been moving very fast. I think this happen a while ago so maybe it was a much smaller hit but rusted out. I suspect very little to no water damage because how it feels in there plus the biggest indecator is my wife, she is highly allergic to molds and feels fine in the car even on a 2 hour drive we did.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ok. it looks more like a rip than just a hole punch. The driver probably ran up over a protruding piece of rebar or something, felt it, stopped and backed off of it. Hard to tell from the photos but it seems it just ripped the fiber under carriage cover and doesn't appear to have punctured the body pan but not sure since you didn't say (dunno what that yellow thing is).
Old 08-27-2016, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

That yellow thing is the padding under the carpet from the looks of it.

That looks real weird on how it ripped thru the steel floorpan. Almost like it came thru from above. I suppose if it was a piece of re-bar it folded the metal out as it got pulled out.

You will have to seal the hole up in the floor pan or you will certainly have moisture inside the vehicle and eventually mold.

Myself, I'd be looking to return the vehicle to that dealer. No way I'd want it, but I'm kinda OCD that way, I want my vehicles perfect.

I made a dealer return a BMW that once I got it home, I had found out had been re-painted all but two body panels. When it hit the sun it was painfully evident. We fought about it and it cost me about $800 but I didn't care as there was no way I was keeping that vehicle. I learned my lesson on buying a used vehicle on a gloomy rainy day at least.

Last edited by KnappAttack; 08-27-2016 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If the floor pan pan was punctured, that must have been one gigantic hit. Makes me wonder what else was compromised. Even if the dealer is going to somehow repair it, if it's reported to Carfax there will be a hit on value later. How long has the OP had the car? If very recent, I'm surprised the dealer didn't have have the state inspection done for the OP. That and the worn brakes tells me they never had the car on the rack for an inspection. The whole thing is starting to feel fishy. I too would try and return the car. Check the MD consumer protection laws and the state where the car was bought.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I would get my money back & move on. Who knows what else is wrong. Sounds VERY shady.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hence my delima,
I bought the car in Pa but live in Maryland. I dropped the car off yesterday and they gave me a loaner. I got there late and wasn't able to talk with anyone directly about it yet, other than the phone call and emails to set up drop off.
I will call monday and see what they are going to do. They seem to be moving towards correcting the problems which would mean time in a body shop, that could be a week at least. And I agree, what does this do to its record and value, will it now be listed and having a accident? I bought the car under the listed assumption that it had a clean history.
On maybe a bright side, I have driven about 350 miles and the ride is smooth and handles the way I would think it should. I'm not sure what I would be experiencing from a car with a bent frame but doesn't seem to be the case. Everything seems tight and the interior looks and feels great. I know there is no mildew or mold currently in there, my wifes allergies would let me know, they never fail. Mechanic that found the problem thought everything was in great condition. He also mentioned that he can see how some one might have missed the hole on the cover if they weren't using a flashlight.
It's a big outfit that's been around for many years and they seem to be reacting well so far. I can't wait to talk with them and see what they say.

Last edited by Dskvid; 08-27-2016 at 04:06 PM.

Quick Reply: So what would you do if you found a hole In a used car you just Bought?