Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Stop heated seats from moving to level 2 after 10 minutes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, this appears in English on the English version of VCDS - I don't have a screen shot, but I saw it there, so you'd have no problem finding/setting it
Old 09-15-2014, 03:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Increasing this to 15 min would probably not do much harm but be carefull with running heating elements at max for prolonged periods. You may fry them or even damage the surrounding material in the worst case. In my experience these do not moderate heat and it just keeps climbing. I could be wrong though.

An other issue is the massive load on the battery during winter.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I was wondering about this as well... Thanks for the answer. Odd to think that my Golf GTI can maintain level 3 heat (and at higher temperature) longer than the A6.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Just curious - where do you folks live that you can stand level 3 for 10 minutes. I live upstate NY and if I use the heated seats at all, aI use level 1 and after starting the car and 5 minutes passing the seats are too hot for me. Likewise the heated steering wheel - I can only use it for a few minutes.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Level 3 on my car is useless, as is level 1 and 2. The dealer says is "operating within specs" but I don't believe him. We had a 2015 A4 loaner w/the same 3 settings, and I had to turn down Level 3 before it went automatically to #2

I'm taking the car to another dealer for them to look at it.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Just curious - where do you folks live that you can stand level 3 for 10 minutes. I live upstate NY and if I use the heated seats at all, aI use level 1 and after starting the car and 5 minutes passing the seats are too hot for me. Likewise the heated steering wheel - I can only use it for a few minutes.
I agree. Setting 3 burns my a$$ at the 5 minute mark and have to turn it down to level 2 and then level 1 and then off by the 15 minute mark.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Some old VW (circa 2002) had issues where the seats would catch fire if you left the heating element on maximum. Maybe that is a reason...

In my case I find the level 3 great for warming up the seat but after 10 minutes it feels too hot - but I live in Houston...
Old 12-07-2014, 04:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I do like the more vernier control of the older Audi's but I really don't have a complaint about the new system. It is too bad that we have been relegated to the same system used on virtually every other car brand. There is nothing special about this feature when shopping now. The same thing has happened with the number of seat memories, electronic intervention in the quattro system, vacuum in place of hydraulic brake boost, quattro signature rear window defroster, and many other Audi inovations which were unique to Audi. The A6 is still a wonderful overall package.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RealMcCoy
I do like the more vernier control of the older Audi's but I really don't have a complaint about the new system. It is too bad that we have been relegated to the same system used on virtually every other car brand. There is nothing special about this feature when shopping now. The same thing has happened with the number of seat memories, electronic intervention in the quattro system, vacuum in place of hydraulic brake boost, quattro signature rear window defroster, and many other Audi inovations which were unique to Audi. The A6 is still a wonderful overall package.
Geez - talk about drinking the Kool Aid! Audi had never had a patent on offering the luxury and safety features you mention nor on many others. Any rental you get on vacation will have all these things standard (except AWD) and some I have rented are better versions than what Audi offers. There are nuances and levels of fit, finish, style, performance and so forth that distinguish one product from another. This allows the market to offer so many hundreds of models and trim levels for shoppers. I like my A6 but sometimes have to admit that other people's cars are pretty nice as well, and some that cost a lot less. Brand loyalty is one thing, but making Audi the originator of anything wonderful seems a bit extreme to me.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I agree. Setting 3 burns my a$$ at the 5 minute mark and have to turn it down to level 2 and then level 1 and then off by the 15 minute mark.
Yes, it does the same for me. I'm more of the keep the AC on Auto at 65.

However, my better half - who likes to take scolding hot showers, likes the 3rd setting 95% of the time. I cannot explain it, I've learned not to question it.

All is well since she got the Golf full time now that I bought the A6 and can enjoy a hot bum at all times.

Quick Reply: Stop heated seats from moving to level 2 after 10 minutes?