Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

stress tested the adaptive cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hhhoffme
Interesting! I had a surprise.

My car went to repairs... pretty bad damage... some idiot dropped a bicycle on the motorway and it hit the front and sides and damaged my two 21" ABT gunmetal alloys... ANYWAYS... here comes the interesting bit.

Audi fixed it, but when I got my car back it can no longer do the "Automatic Go" when stalled behind the next car... it just sits there... no "automatic go"...

Then I pull the ACC lever to engage and nothing happen... only three dots in the display... like " ooo " . So my conclusion is that they have resetted the system because one of the radars was damaged, and somehow I no longer have automatic go enabled.

So of course I am going to call them and have it enabled again, but I just thought that many of you guys with ACC, seems to have to engage throttle to start the car again and cannot use the ACC lever at all - which makes me think that maybe a lot of you guys simple have never enabled this feature in your car?

So if anybody is in my situation maybe there is an easy workaround, or maybe its a known issue?

Let me know...
ACC is configured differently around the world and you haven't posted your location so your comments are mute without knowing which laws your car must conform to.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To follow up I my mail I have noted:
1. My car was hacked before and Audi reset everything to standard - so DB22 you are completely correct it was a locale issue
2. I reenabled ACC: Automatic Go in the VCDS and now I can also engage the car with the ACC lever (in addition to the throttle of course).
3. In the proces I Also played around with another option in the ACC changing from Dynamic to Sport ... which has significantly changed the aggressiveness of the ACC in Dynamic mode - much more responsive,
4. Defaulted VCDS with the MMI function so I can preselect standard distance and set it to 2 instead of 3.

Now what I am missing is to increase the Automatic Go period to 20/30 seconds, but I will probably find something in the VCDS.

DB22, you said in an earlier posting you had 12 seconds? or did I misunderstand? Generally it seems that there is a difference from engaging Automatic Go yourself once at full stop behind a car and when the car puts itself into ACC: Automatic Go once it pulls up behind another car. Any observations?

Finally... if there are anybody out there that has not enabled ACC: Automatic Go they are really missing out on the full autopiloted drive imo.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The ACC settings in the MMI adjust the rate of speed at which the car will adjust to distance changes of the followed car based on your distance setting on the ACC stalk. In other words for example, the "Comfort" setting will cause the car to react more slowly to maintain the preset distance.
I've notices the same things the OP has posted. It is hard to notice any change when changing ACC to Comfort, dynamic etc..

It feels like the car reacts just a little too slowly to whats happening in front, and ends up having to brake hard (not really hard, but still, harder than what would be considered normal braking) when cars in front stop normally like at a light. It is having to make up for it not reacting enough earlier.

So what your saying is if I set it to Dynamic it should react faster, and thus not have to brake as hard eventually. Mine does it enough where I've often wondered if maybe the dealer needs to recalibrate the ACC, it just seems off. But maybe its me.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

My observations are the ACC MMI settings appear to affect the speed at which the ACC reacts to the varying distances of a followed vehicle (based on the ACC stalk setting) and not much, if anything, to the braking when that vehicle comes to a stop. This may have something to do with the Presense Plus Braking Guard being a related but separate system from ACC.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My suggestion would be to go to the ACC section of the VCDS, and change the bit to Sport instead of Dynamic. I can post the specifics when I attach the VCDS again. To me at least it made a difference once I had changed it.
And by the way the distance setting (1-4) is also changed when you swich between the modes. You can check it by following a car in Dynamic and then change the ADS to Economic, and suddenly you will see that you are in the 'red' field and the car will pull back.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hhhoffme

DB22, you said in an earlier posting you had 12 seconds? or did I misunderstand? Generally it seems that there is a difference from engaging Automatic Go yourself once at full stop behind a car and when the car puts itself into ACC: Automatic Go once it pulls up behind another car. Any observations?

Finally... if there are anybody out there that has not enabled ACC: Automatic Go they are really missing out on the full autopiloted drive imo.
If the ACC stops behind a car then it will disable after about 2 or 3 seconds. Then I re-enable it, with the stalk, and it will stay enabled for about 12 seconds. If that then times out then I have to pull the stalk again.