Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Supercharger Oil Top-Off

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Supercharger Oil Top-Off

Post caused too much confusion. Sorry for inconvenience

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 06-01-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Great write up and good to know!
Old 05-30-2015, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bartenderfloyd
Great write up and good to know!
Thanks. Appreciate the positive feedback. I hope everyone remembers to check with professionals before attempting any of the many great techniques posted by all the contributing members on forum( including me!).
My experience is with other supercharged engines and just learning this one. Hoping to continue learning from others as well.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help me out here: why would the supercharger require its own oil, and not feed off the engine? I'm used to turbochargers (Chrysler, Saab, Audi) all were fed off the engine. So why would a supercharger (that was designed to be integral to the engine) not have a similar setup?

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2015, 06:53 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Grapeking
Help me out here: why would the supercharger require its own oil, and not feed off the engine? I'm used to turbochargers (Chrysler, Saab, Audi) all were fed off the engine. So why would a supercharger (that was designed to be integral to the engine) not have a similar setup?

Thanks!
The supercharger is a sealed system that uses its own special oil.
My question would be, if it's not leaking why would it need to be topped off?
I would think if none was siphoned out and it is not leaking that now it is grossly overfilled which could end up being its own problem.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gk1
The supercharger is a sealed system that uses its own special oil.
My question would be, if it's not leaking why would it need to be topped off?
I would think if none was siphoned out and it is not leaking that now it is grossly overfilled which could end up being its own problem.
Yes! that is the question I assumed would eventually be asked. Which is why I said check with professionals. Do your own research, and maintain your vehicle how you see fit. I never stated anywhere that anybody should follow my lead on this. Just sharing info to build a collective of knowledge.

If you think it's grossly overfilled, I welcome you to post the specs on how much fluid is required. I'd be glad to know as well. Otherwise it's just opinions we're all sharing I think. Our cars should not me maintained on opinions, so when the facts are available, at least we've helped each other figure out the procedure.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:53 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by IknowHuhA6
Yes! that is the question I assumed would eventually be asked. Which is why I said check with professionals. Do your own research, and maintain your vehicle how you see fit. I never stated anywhere that anybody should follow my lead on this. Just sharing info to build a collective of knowledge.

If you think it's grossly overfilled, I welcome you to post the specs on how much fluid is required. I'd be glad to know as well. Otherwise it's just opinions we're all sharing I think. Our cars should not me maintained on opinions, so when the facts are available, at least we've helped each other figure out the procedure.
No worries man. It wasn't meant to be a personal attack on your information or your how to for removing the plug and filling. Just mentioning it is like not having leaking motor oil, then not draining any and putting in a few more quarts. If it works for you...great...and I saw you had your nice disclaimer there just knowing some readers take things as gospel and don't know the pitfalls.
The fluid fill spec is 5.2 oz. implying yours was nearly bone dry after how many miles? Also since this has, as you pointed out, an odd location for a fill hole, it may be that it is used for factory fill only, and not meant to be used for a refill. You are right though I'm not 100% certain and any fill plug on a component like this always begs the question why is it there if it not really meant to be used?They could certainly fill it prior to final assembly of the case.
Anyway it is a fine write-up for doing a fill. It would be interesting to see the Audi documentation for supercharger oil fill, but I bet they just replace the whole unit complete with oil.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I did find this Self Study Program which has a section about the Roots blower. No much mention about oil except for a sentence on page 20.

http://www.s4-mtm.com/images/925803_3.0V6TFSIengine.pdf
Old 06-01-2015, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Here's a thought. I don't believe there is any mention of checking or topping off the supercharger oil level in any of the scheduled maintenance intervals. One would think Audi would have included this at some point in the items lists if it was a required user or dealer service item (assuming no visible leaks, etc.).
Old 06-01-2015, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also familiar with the older style Eaton roots blowers on GM's. In that case GM suggests checking the level every 3 years and filling to the bottom of the plug hole. As well there was a porus plug on the end of the pulley shaft. This could potentially in a pressure situation allow some fluid to slowly come out.

In the case of this charger, I am unsure if the spec of 5.2oz will bring it to the bottom of the threads or partially fill the area (Steve, I'm thinking of how ZZP only ever shipped 6oz while Intense always stated it took 8oz).

Last night while perusing ElsaWin in order to learn how to get room to replace the SC idler pulley, I came across supercharger instructions for taking the nose off etc. I will revisit to see about level vs bolt hole etc. If anyone has a charger off, I'd be very interested in some further info as to how much it may take.

I feel like i need to become best buddies with the folks at the dealership service area.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Oil Top-Off