Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

T-Mobile upgrade going to kill my data

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Unless you live in IL or IN, your dealer will have no idea what you are talking about. Aapparently those are the only areas affected by the T-Mobile 3G frequency change (at this point).
I live in IL, St. Louis area but the car is serviced in MO. Hopefully they are aware of this.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A6Boom
I live in IL, St. Louis area but the car is serviced in MO. Hopefully they are aware of this.
Did you receive a letter from T Mobile and AoA? That might be a key as to whether or not the dealership is aware of the change and would have the replacement module.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Got our letters for our A8 and S6. Both cars were signed up for the $450 pre-paid T-Mobile plan.

Letter says the network change will take place in the Charleston, SC area on July 27.

There is no information about any plans to change out hardware in the cars.

I will contact the local dealer here on Monday about doing the A8 upgrade first.
I don't trust the local dealer with my S6, due to my stereo upgrades. I'll have to go back to Orlando for the S6 service visit because they know my car so well.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Got our letters for our A8 and S6. Both cars were signed up for the $450 pre-paid T-Mobile plan.

Letter says the network change will take place in the Charleston, SC area on July 27.

There is no information about any plans to change out hardware in the cars.

I will contact the local dealer here on Monday about doing the A8 upgrade first.
I don't trust the local dealer with my S6, due to my stereo upgrades. I'll have to go back to Orlando for the S6 service visit because they know my car so well.
We got the letter from T Moble first, and the letter from AOA several days later.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Looks like the T-Mobile 3G frequency change area is expanding.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zeab
Well, it wasn't easy but I am officially on AT&T and a happy camper. I tried to follow the rules but talk about a bunch of people that just don't know or they are in cahoots with T-Mobile and refuse to help. AT&T will tell you they can't and only the dealer can do it. The dealer told me my car is T-Mobile capable only and can't do it without a bunch or reprograming and couldn't take responsibility for the liability. Called Audi Connect support and they also told me switching to AT&T was not possible and I had to keep T-Mobile. Finally went back to AT&T and got my "tablet" a SIM on my data plan. Just be sure to use your IMSI and NOT your IMEI number. AT&T will not know what to do with the car IMEI for some reason.
Received an update letter from Audi today and after upgrading the part they (Audi) have confirmed we can use ATT. Just call 877-505-2834 Option #1. They'll send you an ATT SIM card free of charge. TMobile billing is the same but here is ATT billing:

1GB Month - $20
PrePay 6 Months - $99
Prepay 30 Months - $499 (+ 6 Months additional free)

Or use any $10 family share plan.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Sickler
Received an update letter from Audi today and after upgrading the part they (Audi) have confirmed we can use ATT. Just call 877-505-2834 Option #1. They'll send you an ATT SIM card free of charge. TMobile billing is the same but here is ATT billing:

1GB Month - $20
PrePay 6 Months - $99

Where are you located?
Old 07-07-2015, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Sickler

1GB Month - $20
PrePay 6 Months - $99

All '16s whether LTE or still 3G will get service through AT&T, no more T-Mobile. Sounds like Audi is opening up this option to '13s w/ updated modem, '14s and '15s as well w/o having to jump through hoops or taking matters in our own hands. I did my first road trip to the California Central Coast over the long weekend since I switched to AT&T. I had full 3G service the entire way, whereas with T-Mobile once outside major areas I only got 2G if I had a connection at all. It was great to take full advantage of Audi Connect w/o delays due to a slow connection, especially pulling up the planned destinations I had sent to the car ahead of time. This was also the first time I really noticed how much faster the system starts up and the various services are ready compared to the 0715-2 firmware. Makes a big difference when you start the car and are ready to go somewhere, but have to wait until you can access the Online Destinations or issue a voice command.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Parsing your first sentence, and just to clarify, MY2014/2015 C7s already have the updated modem and can use AT&T 3G now. MY2012/2013 only will be affected by the modem update as T-Mobile expands to the new frequency region by region. Once the update is performed, MY2012/2013 can switch to AT&T same as MY2014/2015 are able to do now. (The letter states you must have a active service with T-Mobile to qualify for the modem update).
Old 07-07-2015, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

While correct, that's not what I was referring to in my first sentence. Audi's partnership with T-Mobile is officially ending with 2015 models. Starting with 2016 models across the range from the A3 to the R8 will come with an AT&T SIM and service from AT&T. The newer MMIs with LTE have already been through AT&T, but starting with 2016, the current gen 4,5, Q5 and all other models that still have the MMI 3G+ for 2016 will also officially get service through AT&T and no longer T-Mobile. Up until now, we had to jump through hoops with AT&T or activate a spare tablet and stick the SIM into the car in order to get AT&T to provide service for the MMI.

Here's the press release that refers to all 2016 models, including the carry-over models that still have the 3G+ system.

Audi and AT&T to wirelessly connect 2016 model year vehicles | Audi USA

Quick Reply: T-Mobile upgrade going to kill my data