Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

T-Mobile upgrade going to kill my data

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHeadFL
In the OP he says its a 2013 A6 Prestige, and the next post he says he is in Central Illinois, which I guess is not super specific, but it isn't that big of an area.
There is no central IL. All a myth. Anything south of 80 is Southern IL. This is an IL joke by the way.

I honestly thought the questions were pointed to me on the car and location. I was going to say, I thought the signature was pretty clear.

As an update, I did not get a letter yet for my A6. I also have not called my dealer yet, but plan to shortly. I will let all know what they tell me as they are usually pretty up on current things.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys, I really love the attention to the details including location, location, location. Yes, I did say central Illinois and probably should have stated that earlier but I would like to point out one thing. These cars make it super easy to go from place to place. If T-Mobile and Audi are doing this region by region then what about the poor guy that is traveling from their home area that works to an "upgraded" area.

Thinking this might need to be coordinated a little better. At a minimum, the dealers should be made aware of what is going on so they can respond accordingly.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I'd bet that availability of the module would have something to do with it. Typically there's a delay due to parts production on things like this. If supply is limited, Audi will focus on the affected regions first.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Now the plot thickens. I got a letter from Audi today telling me the same thing and I need to go to my dealer to get the part swapped out. That and the fact I have to have an active subscription to receive it. Kinda sad that the dealer still is unaware of anything like this.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got some info from my dealer that, personally, I feel is up to par with things. So this does not affect every car with Audi Connect. Only certain cars with certain style modules. So maybe not all of us are affected. I was wrong originally, the car in my letter is my A6. To date, I don't have a letter for the Q5. If I don't have it now, I was told chances are good it will not need an update.

The update is a new module that will continue with T-mo. I have not called the customer service number, but my dealer thinks it is a simple swap of the ESN of the module. They have only done one swap as of Friday. I could be number two for the dealer. I go in tomorrow.

That is all I know for now. Not all of us are affected though. It is not so much a regional thing, it is a hardware issue from what I was told.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, my A6 is affected and after talking to the AoA rep found out my dealer isn't certified to do the upgrade. Was told I can make an appointment at closest Audi dealer that can perform the upgrade. The not so good news is the dealer I need to go to is 3 hours away. What the heck, I am going to have to take a day off from work or loose my 3G.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by NVThs1
Got some info from my dealer that, personally, I feel is up to par with things. So this does not affect every car with Audi Connect. Only certain cars with certain style modules. So maybe not all of us are affected. I was wrong originally, the car in my letter is my A6. To date, I don't have a letter for the Q5. If I don't have it now, I was told chances are good it will not need an update.

The update is a new module that will continue with T-mo. I have not called the customer service number, but my dealer thinks it is a simple swap of the ESN of the module. They have only done one swap as of Friday. I could be number two for the dealer. I go in tomorrow.

That is all I know for now. Not all of us are affected though. It is not so much a regional thing, it is a hardware issue from what I was told.
Yeah, '14s and newer already have an updated cellular modem. They support the faster HSPA/HSPA+ networks and also the AT&T frequencies. The modem in the '13s only supports the slower UMTS T-Mobile network and only 2G on AT&T and apparently not the new frequencies that T-Mobile is moving their network to.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about 2012 A6s?
Old 06-01-2015, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

As noted in this thread, I'd be willing to bet it will ultimately affect most if not all MY2012-2013 with Audi Connect. All 2014+ models probably already have the updated hardware as previously mentioned. Also, it seems from what I read it is regional as I believe I've only seen those from Illinois so far (if you received the letter from a different region, let us know). I suspect T-Mobile is rolling out the changes region by region and letters will be sent accordingly at some future date.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by jr'sAudiA6
What about 2012 A6s?
Same as the '13s as far as I know.

Quick Reply: T-Mobile upgrade going to kill my data