Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Transmission "issue" - brand new 2016 A6 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I don't believe Bob mentioned his cruise control was activated during his observations, just that it didn't seem to downshift while maintaining the same gas pedal pressure going up a hill. Also, as another poster mentioned, there dozens of software algorithm maps that come into play depending on various driver input factors, pedal pressure and speed to name just two, and adaptation is a valid process. I'm not saying he doesn't have an issue that shouldn't be checked out (it should) but what he was told by his service guy is not necessarily incorrect.
Actually I was in cruise. See the third line of my original post.
I always use cruise on the highway and as I said this is the first car I have driven (any brand, even rentals) that would not downshift to keep the set speed. Also, when (in cruise) the engine started lugging at 58 mph I selected S and nothing happened, it stayed in 8th gear until I used the paddles to downshift.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Resetting the transmission adaptation may help. At least it helps a little in my scenario.

Let me know if you need vagcom. I'm located in mid jersey.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Actually I was in cruise. See the third line of my original post.
I always use cruise on the highway and as I said this is the first car I have driven (any brand, even rentals) that would not downshift to keep the set speed. Also, when (in cruise) the engine started lugging at 58 mph I selected S and nothing happened, it stayed in 8th gear until I used the paddles to downshift.
Missed it. Sorry. As I said in my first post, if no change in a few miles, have a service tech take a test drive with you.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You may also need to give the engine time to break in and loosen up a bit so that it makes the power that both you and the transmission are expecting, across the whole rpm range.

I drove my 2.0T with 37k mi around today paying close attention to the engine rpm, and it spent quite a lot of time down at 1,000-1,200 rpm, but with no lugging or vibration. In fact, when I first got the car I was surprised at the low rpm as well, which felt like it caused a lot of turbo lag and a loud boomy sound when you get on the throttle. Those went away as the engine broke in.

Also it's possible that Audi may have tuned the transmission maps to keep a lower rpm to squeeze out better fuel economy on 2016 models.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by newmoon
You may also need to give the engine time to break in and loosen up a bit so that it makes the power that both you and the transmission are expecting, across the whole rpm range.

I drove my 2.0T with 37k mi around today paying close attention to the engine rpm, and it spent quite a lot of time down at 1,000-1,200 rpm, but with no lugging or vibration. In fact, when I first got the car I was surprised at the low rpm as well, which felt like it caused a lot of turbo lag and a loud boomy sound when you get on the throttle. Those went away as the engine broke in.

Also it's possible that Audi may have tuned the transmission maps to keep a lower rpm to squeeze out better fuel economy on 2016 models.
I think you may be correct. I drove it today and it seems to be downshifting a bit more and at 30 -40 mph when I switch to S the rpm needle does jump, meaning it is downshifting. I was also thinking maybe the lugging is because the transmission thinks it is in the right gear for the expected/programmed parameter of power output, but at this point the engine is not really broken in. I will wait a few hundred miles more (in normal flat road driving it is very drivable) and see if things get better. Yeah, I was wondering about the quest for mpg's and what that leads manufacturers to do. The auto start/stop on this car is very obvious when it kicks in and out - kind of destroys any sense of luxury IMO.
One question: With cruise engaged and assuming the road and speed conditions are appropriate, should the transmission downshift when the selector is moved from D to S? I seem to be noticing a willingness to downshift when going from D to S when cruise is off, less so when it is on. I don’t remember that from my previous Audi’s.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

You can change the shift and throttle behavior in the car menu. There are different modes available.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
One question: With cruise engaged and assuming the road and speed conditions are appropriate, should the transmission downshift when the selector is moved from D to S? I seem to be noticing a willingness to downshift when going from D to S when cruise is off, less so when it is on. I don’t remember that from my previous Audi’s.
I checked with cruise on and it didn't downshift when going from D to S. Probably because there is no driver input on the gas pedal, and no acceleration. The transmission is probably monitoring these two factors and more to determine the need to downshift.

With cruise off, going from D to S did produce an immediate downshift as you would expect.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

thanks
Old 11-12-2015, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I think it's all in the quest for higher fuel economy. I notice this issue to some degree in my '11 A4, it's more noticeable in my wife's '15 Q5 and it was hugely noticeable in a '15 A4 loaner car I had last week. The newer the car, the more obvious this lugging is accompanied by hanging onto a gear far too long. The cars don't downshift until you get deep into the pedal.

(I think our Q5 is in 7th at 30 mph. It's just absurd. Flicking the gear shift to Sport yields a more normal behavior on all these cars.)
Old 11-12-2015, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That may be the case with my car, so the paddle shifters may prove useful after all. They are much easier than pushing the Tiptronic shifter to the right, then forward/backward.

Quick Reply: Transmission "issue" - brand new 2016 A6 2.0