Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Trunk self opening?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Trunk self opening?

I have convenience keyless entry. When I turn the ignition off, exit the car, touch the outside door lock button to lock the car, if I then walk by the rear fender, the trunk lid opens by itself.
It seems that there is some kind of sensor under these conditions causing this?
I have the MMI locking options set to "ALL" so all doors unlock when I touch the door handle.
Any one else have this "feature" and if so, how to set the MMI to defeat it? It's annoying since when parked, I usually pass by the trunk on the way out after locking the car and it pops open unnecessarily. Strange.
This is reproducible every time (I'm not touching trunk open button on key)

Last edited by snagitseven; 07-26-2012 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I have convenience keyless entry. When I turn the ignition off, exit the car, touch the outside door lock button to lock the car, if I then walk by the rear fender, the trunk lid opens by itself.
It seems that there is some kind of sensor under these conditions causing this?
I have the MMI locking options set to "ALL" so all doors unlock when I touch the door handle.
Any one else have this "feature" and if so, how to set the MMI to defeat it? It's annoying since when parked, I usually pass by the trunk on the way out after locking the car and it pops open unnecessarily. Strange.
This is repeatable (not touching trunk open button on key)
there is a sensor in late 2012 and 2013 but it's optional in my country and I don't think that US have it judging by how the options you have are limited anyway it isn't supposed to act this way you have to kick the air under the bumper twice for it to open so you should take it to the dealer and I hope it happens there
Old 07-26-2012, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by shaikhasm
there is a sensor in late 2012 and 2013 but it's optional in my country and I don't think that US have it judging by how the options you have are limited anyway it isn't supposed to act this way you have to kick the air under the bumper twice for it to open so you should take it to the dealer and I hope it happens there
It's clearly not a foot under the bumper thing as that's not what I'm doing and as you say, it's not available as a U.S. option.
Can't find anything in the manual about this.
I did do the Vag-Com windows/sunroof opening from the keyfob but can't imagine this would have anything to do with self opening trunk.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never seen this happened on my A6. Although I wouldn't mind having your issue every now and then when my hands are full. Also vag com the convenience windows/sunroof with keyfob feature.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dht34
Never seen this happened on my A6. Although I wouldn't mind having your issue every now and then when my hands are full. Also vag com the convenience windows/sunroof with keyfob feature.
As I said, this only happens when turning off, exiting the car, locking the doors and walking past the rear fender. Your hands prob wouldn't be full if you are just exiting the driver's seat so I can't believe this is much of a convenience - quite the opposite - touching the trunk latch when you need to open the trunk isn't all that difficult and would prefer it did not open on it's own.
I've already done the windows/sunroof key Vag-Com.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Update: I went into the Car>Car Systems>Central Locking and changed the "Lock exterior trunk handle" to "on". This seems to have alleviated the issue to the ghost in the trunk opening the lid. This is prob the better setting anyway as it will then open only if, with the keyfob on your person, you hit the trunk release in the car or on the trunk itself. Safer.

I still can't figure out why just walking past the rear fender would cause the trunk lid to open on its own under any circumstances. Makes no sense.

Has anyone else experienced this with the MMI trunk setting to "on"? Maybe it's a 2013 model thing only,
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2012, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update: I went into the Car>Car Systems>Central Locking and changed the "Lock exterior trunk handle" to "on". This seems to have alleviated the issue to the ghost in the trunk opening the lid. This is prob the better setting anyway as it will then open only if, with the keyfob on your person, you hit the trunk release in the car or on the trunk itself. Safer.

I still can't figure out why just walking past the rear fender would cause the trunk lid to open on its own under any circumstances. Makes no sense.

Has anyone else experienced this with the MMI trunk setting to "on"? Maybe it's a 2013 model thing only,
Yeah I was having this happen to on my 13. If you lock the doors with either the remote or the handle, and look at the remote the LED will flash more, indicating the car lets the remote know its locked, and the remote then I believe sends a short range "advanced key" release trunk command as it wont open unless I am close to the trunk (ie, walking by it after locking.)

Furthermore, if you push the trunk button on the remote (NOT hold down) when you are close to it, it will open. You only need to hold it down if you are out of the "advanced key" range. I believe this short range command also is sent if you unlock with the remote and approach the trunk but not sure.

Yeah I can see it being annoying but also a nice feature. Sorta like they didn't want to give you the cool foot sweep option but also didn't want to leave you out in the cold without cool trunk open features. Now that I you let us know how to disable it I will do so as well as it was annoying most of the time.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by directorguy7
Yeah I was having this happen to on my 13. If you lock the doors with either the remote or the handle, and look at the remote the LED will flash more, indicating the car lets the remote know its locked, and the remote then I believe sends a short range "advanced key" release trunk command as it wont open unless I am close to the trunk (ie, walking by it after locking.)

Furthermore, if you push the trunk button on the remote (NOT hold down) when you are close to it, it will open. You only need to hold it down if you are out of the "advanced key" range. I believe this short range command also is sent if you unlock with the remote and approach the trunk but not sure.

Yeah I can see it being annoying but also a nice feature. Sorta like they didn't want to give you the cool foot sweep option but also didn't want to leave you out in the cold without cool trunk open features. Now that I you let us know how to disable it I will do so as well as it was annoying most of the time.
I think I understand what you're saying but I still don't get how it's something you would want to have happen all the time, which was what was occurring in my case every time I walked by the trunk after locking the car.
What if it was raining or you had something in the trunk you wouldn't want someone to see? (gold bricks, dead body, 100 lbs of illegal drugs, wife, etc.)

I would say that I want to open my trunk after I get out of the car about 1 in 30 times. Certainly not every time. Hopefully, the change I made in the MMI will permanently defeat this "feature".
Old 07-26-2012, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Def happened to me, my key was practically touching the car from the left side of the trunk. I closed it 3 times and it opened again. There are leaks to the outside from the wireless sensors... Just back up a little...
Old 07-26-2012, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I understand what you're saying but I still don't get how it's something you would want to have happen all the time, which was what was occurring in my case every time I walked by the trunk after locking the car.
What if it was raining or you had something in the trunk you wouldn't want someone to see? (gold bricks, dead body, 100 lbs of illegal drugs, wife, etc.)

I would say that I want to open my trunk after I get out of the car about 1 in 30 times. Certainly not every time. Hopefully, the change I made in the MMI will permanently defeat this "feature".
I agree. Police almost saw a few dead bodies. I believe anytime the car is locked via user input and you go by the trunk it should open.

I first encountered this when I got out and locked the car via the back door handle. Thought it was cool as I thought the car was thinking I was heading for the trunk and since I locked with the rear door handle instead of the front handle like normal it was trying to be helpful. Unfortunately it does not matter how you lock the car, if it goes from unlocked to lock via user input, it will send trunk open command if you are in short range of trunk.

Quick Reply: Trunk self opening?