Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Typical Discount on new purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 06:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Typical Discount on new purchase

My Sales guy is saying 6% is the "most" Audi allows them to discount from list price (excluding any incentives). He says MB, Lexus and BMW allow up to 12%.
At the end of the day doesn't really matter if that's true or not but did want to reach out to this group to check if 6% off list for a 2016 A6 Prestige is a "good" deal. Only extras are tax, registration and $800 destination (which he is calling his "profit").

At least till I get to the finance but I'm prepared to pay for the car outright if he starts getting creative.

If I place an order for something to be built does that help or hurt my position?
Old 05-06-2015, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzydice
My Sales guy is saying 6% is the "most" Audi allows them to discount from list price (excluding any incentives). He says MB, Lexus and BMW allow up to 12%.
At the end of the day doesn't really matter if that's true or not but did want to reach out to this group to check if 6% off list for a 2016 A6 Prestige is a "good" deal. Only extras are tax, registration and $800 destination (which he is calling his "profit").

At least till I get to the finance but I'm prepared to pay for the car outright if he starts getting creative.

If I place an order for something to be built does that help or hurt my position?
$500 over invoice is typical for Audi. Let them screw around with financing, they did the same with me and I paid the whole thing off on the first payment. The dealer doesn't care if you order something or take it off the lot. I suppose its more in their interests to get it off the lot, but, they're happy to take your money either way.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

There is no "typical" discount, only what you are able to negotiate. 6% off a new model year car is very decent so long as the dealer doesn't pad it back up with unreasonable prep charges. $800 is excessive (at least the dealer is being honest on his extra "profit" description); $200-300 is what most dealers charge.

Audi has no requirements for dealer pricing. Price fixing by a manufacturer was made unlawful decades ago. Your salesperson is either misinformed or making it up.

Dealer invoice cost is 7% below sticker retail (not including freight which is not discounted to the dealer). Rebates are fully funded back to the dealer by AOA.

Often, a dealer will be more amenable to discounting an ordered car as they have no interest charges or inventory depreciation. On the other hand, they also have to move their lot inventory. Bottom line is it depends on the dealer, time of the month or quarte, how many cars are in stock, allocations, etc.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
There is no "typical" discount, only what you are able to negotiate. 6% off a new model year car is very decent so long as the dealer doesn't pad it back up with unreasonable prep charges. $800 is excessive (at least the dealer is being honest on his extra "profit" description); $200-300 is what most dealers charge.

Audi has no requirements for dealer pricing. Price fixing by a manufacturer was made unlawful decades ago. Your salesperson is either misinformed or making it up.

Dealer invoice cost is 7% below sticker retail (not including freight which is not discounted to the dealer). Rebates are fully funded back to the dealer by AOA.

Often, a dealer will be more amenable to discounting an ordered car as they have no interest charges or inventory depreciation. On the other hand, they also have to move their lot inventory. Bottom line is it depends on the dealer, time of the month or quarte, how many cars are in stock, allocations, etc.
My final price on my 2016 A6 2.0 Premium Plus Quattro was about 10.4% off MSRP but this included a $2,000 Audi Loyalty so dealer discount was 6.9% off MSRP.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by booreux
My final price on my 2016 A6 2.0 Premium Plus Quattro was about 10.4% off MSRP but this included a $2,000 Audi Loyalty so dealer discount was 6.9% off MSRP.
What other amounts did the dealer charge, i.e. for "prep" or "handling" (not sales tax or registration). Was there a trade involved?
Old 05-06-2015, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Not an A6, but I got 10% off MSRP plus $1,000 Audi loyalty on my 3.0T Q5 last month. And this wasn't a car in their inventory - they brought in in on a flatbed from another dealer. Beat my Supplier Discount. If you are on the East Coast, PM for dealership contact if you'd like it.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by S4forDC
Not an A6, but I got 10% off MSRP plus $1,000 Audi loyalty on my 3.0T Q5 last month. And this wasn't a car in their inventory - they brought in in on a flatbed from another dealer. Beat my Supplier Discount. If you are on the East Coast, PM for dealership contact if you'd like it.
There were many promos for the 3.0T Q5 2015 last month (April). Around my area, it seemed like they were trying to get rid of a whole bunch since winter was over??? Any way, I could have gotten around 10-11% off MSRP plus $1,500 conquest promo for owning a Mercedes.
I got around 7.1% off MSRP for my 2016 A6 3.0T last week. No trade in. Which brought it below the invoice price. Plus I got the $1,500 conquest promo discount. There were no other fees involved besides the normal taxes, registeration, and fees.

Last edited by Inyoury; 05-06-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It would be helpful if those who are posting the discount they received to specify model year, month/year of purchase, if before or after any loyalty rebates, if there was a trade involved and any other charges the dealer levied in the deal other than taxes and registration. Without all this info, it doesn't provide the full picture.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Took delivery of my 2016 2.0 Premium + S-Line with all available options this past Monday - I was just under 7% off. No trade in - my lease was up and I purchased the A6. I had partner pricing through my wife's company so that discount was applied as well as the loyalty incentive.

Last edited by TTravler; 05-07-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Quick Reply: Typical Discount on new purchase