Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Unusual Braking on hard deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Unusual Braking on hard deceleration

HELP!! Need some advice and opinions.

Was using adaptive cruise control (ACC) other day and I'm used to the system being pretty quirky where sometimes it just brakes too late and quite hard. Other times it's fine.

So a week ago I had an instance where the ACC didn't brake soon enough, I thought I was going to hit car in front of me on highway so I intervened and stepped on brake myself. Suddenly the brake pedal went from seemingly obvious stop position and gave away even farther down in quick disengaging type action causing car to come to screeching halt. Very weird. It was as if the brake system has a reserve extra brake pedal range where it suddenly allows further range of travel in emergency.

Today it did it again while not in ACC mode. In an effort to make a light before it turned red, I gunned the gas but hit the brake when I realized I wasn't going to make it. So hit the brake for a fast deceleration but nothing that would cause a skidding stop. Suddenly when close to the stop light the brake pedal dropped further down from what felt as maximum stop position for slowing car, and once again the brake pedal let go closer to floorboard and car screeched to stop.

What gives? Feature I'm not aware of?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images  

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 06-30-2015 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Attached my picasso
Old 06-30-2015, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not 100% sure but sounds like you experienced the anti lock brake and traction systems of the car engage to make sure your brakes wouldn't lock up during hard braking?
Old 06-30-2015, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinbad
Not 100% sure but sounds like you experienced the anti lock brake and traction systems of the car engage to make sure your brakes wouldn't lock up during hard braking?
I considered this, but if this indeed is what happened, I'm not used to ABS reacting so violently. this is very dangerous as it removes the smooth gradual stop and introduces a sudden action. It's like hitting the brakes while riding a bicycle and you're stopping fine, then suddenly a pipe is thrown into the wheel as you give it a little extra pressure to make sure you make the stop.

Just want to identify if this is normal or something needs adjustment.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car exhibits none of this behavior (yet). Please ship your car to me and I'll do the same. I would be happy to go through and confirm for years that yours is working properly.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

This doesn't sound like normal behavior. From what you describe, it almost seems like the Presense Plus Front automatic braking is kicking in at incorrect times. I would get it checked out - see if a fault code was generated. Ask if a tech can do a ride along with you and reproduce the issue.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm thinking some form of Pre-sense is active during ACC as my brake pedal is extremely sensitive when i touch it to slow down or disengage ACC. Whatever it is, it's definitely a more responsive braking than under normal cruising.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 2008A6
I'm thinking some form of Pre-sense is active during ACC as my brake pedal is extremely sensitive when i touch it to slow down or disengage ACC. Whatever it is, it's definitely a more responsive braking than under normal cruising.
Presense Plus is a component of ACC. That's what causes the brakes to engage when in ACC. I notice no more sensitivity when using the brakes when ACC is activated. Of course, when you hit the brake pedal, you disengage ACC until you pull the ACC stalk again.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

What you felt was the emergency brake assist. If you quickly change from accelerating to braking, the car interprets that as an emergency and goes into full emergency braking. This feature is there because most people don't stomp on the brake pedal hard enough in an emergency situation, so the braking system assists to ensure full braking. When ACC is on, the brakes are primed and a similar thing happens if you step on the brakes to assist with the car stopping.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
What you felt was the emergency brake assist. If you quickly change from accelerating to braking, the car interprets that as an emergency and goes into full emergency braking. This feature is there because most people don't stomp on the brake pedal hard enough in an emergency situation, so the braking system assists to ensure full braking. When ACC is on, the brakes are primed and a similar thing happens if you step on the brakes to assist with the car stopping.
Thanks..that explains why they are so sensitive due to being primed while ACC is on. They grab very quickly as soon as you start depressing the brake, then go back to normal after that first press.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 2008A6
Thanks..that explains why they are so sensitive due to being primed while ACC is on. They grab very quickly as soon as you start depressing the brake, then go back to normal after that first press.
So, if that were the case, then how does that explain your second incidence when the ACC was not activated?

Quick Reply: Unusual Braking on hard deceleration