Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Unusual Braking on hard deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
My biggest problem is that when it stops it almost gives you a heart attack because it brakes late and when it goes it takes too long to get going and people start shooting. (the enable button is also known as "suicide on"
+1.
Yes it takes forever to get going and accelerates at 2mph per second it seems and sudden stop is nerve racking at times. Mine is set to comfort mode in the MMi and 3-positions back via the adjustment on the stalk.

I'm not a fan of how sometimes it seems to stop ok and other times it's confused and stops harder and closer to another car. Maybe I need to wash the car and clean sensors LOL.

ACC and Brake Guard are definitely two different systems intertwined but the brake assist is activating out of necessity because the ACC is stopping too late.

In my second situation however there was no cars in front of me and no ACC active, guess the car just figured "OK there's more pressure on brake at higher speed so let's engage full-on brake pressure, drop the pedal lower and halt the car to a tire screeching stop to scare the hell out of the driver!"

After reading everyone's posts, sounds like it's normal after all, and I just have to get used to this and adjust my driving.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

So if you add the ACC and the ALA (which bounces off the white lines) then Audi and its autonomous car concept is about 5% of what it should be - guaranteed death.

I know than they are "assist" but if you know where the cars are and where the lines are then another 5 lines of code could make these systems useful instead of all of us paying for Audi's R&D. They are selling us a system that is inadequate, if you bought a dishwasher and it cleaned the dishes sometimes and broke the dishes some other times would you be happy with your purchase?
Old 07-03-2015, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unusual Braking on hard deceleration

I have had a 14' S6 and 14' A8L and when I ordered my 16' S6 I didn't get the driver assist tools for these reasons specifically.

Braking, acceleration and steering should be predictable 100% of the time. Audi's system isn't. Also, if the ACC sensors stop working (snow) it defaults to nothing rather than regular cruise control. Wrong choice IMO.

Loving my S6 that's as analogue as you can buy an Audi.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

ACC, Presense Plus auto braking, side assist and lane assist are not meant to replace attention by the driver. They are aids only and should not remove the driver's responsibility for maintaining control of the vehicle at all times. I relate these newer safety features to anti lock brakes, ASR and DSR. They are there to help prevent loss of control if the driver exceeds the safe operation perameters of the car (or in the case of ACC to also provide additional convenience to standard cruise control). Like those older systems, the newer ones will improve in time as the technology advances.
In any case, any of the newer systems can also be turned off.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My take on the new 'safety features' is that they are more gadgety than they are useful. It's fun to show other people that the car steers back into its lane the first time and have them wow, but using it every day just adds an annoying jurkyness to the steering. Same for ACC, it's 'cool' but it doesn't work on the level where it's seamless and actually adds to the driving experience. No doubt, in another 5 or 10 years these systems will be much better but until then they are fairly useless IMHO. My CPO came with them and it was definitely fun to try out, but if I'd to order a brand new one today I would probably skip the DA package and save myself the $2,500 or so.

PS: I do find the top down view useful, as you can really see the lines when parking for a perfect park 100% of the time but still wouldn't be worth $2,500 for just that. And the blind spot lights in the mirrors, those have saved me a few times from getting into accidents and luckily are pretty much standard on any A6 now.