Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Warped brake rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Dealer has replaced both front and rear rotors. Still have a slight vibration and pulsation so they are also going to replace the pads. They didn't have them in stock so I have to make another appointment. This will be 3 trips to the dealer for this issue and my dealer is 80 miles away.
Before you drive 80 miles you really should try to "bed your brakes". I had this vibration issue on my last car, a BMW, and changed the rotors and pads because it was a used car and I figured it needed new brakes. All was well for about 10,000 miles then the symptoms came back. Bedding requires multiple heavy braking applications from 50 or 60 mph to 10 mph or so, but not a complete stop. Then when the brakes are very hot, you drive for several miles as they cool off. This procedure works. Anyone experiencing similar symptoms should give this a try. Below is an excerpt on the theory.

The all-important transfer layer
As stated above, the objective of the bed-in process is to deposit an even layer of brake pad material, or transfer layer, on the rubbing surface of the rotor disc. Note the emphasis on the word even, as uneven pad deposits on the rotor face are the number one, and almost exclusive cause of brake judder or vibration.
Let's say that again, just so there is no misunderstanding. Uneven pad deposits on the rotor face are the number one, and almost exclusive cause of brake judder or vibration.
It only takes a small amount of thickness variation, or TV, in the transfer layer (we're only talking a few ten thousandths of an inch here) to initiate brake vibration. While the impact of an uneven transfer layer is almost imperceptible at first, as the pad starts riding the high and low spots, more and more TV will be naturally generated until the vibration is much more evident. With prolonged exposure, the high spots can become hot spots and can actually change the metallurgy of the rotor in those areas, creating “hard” spots in the rotor face that are virtually impossible to remove.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Off to the dealer again today. Audi of America is now involved. Why don't the dealers "bed" in the brakes if this is that important? I'll bet most drivers do not know about this.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey Guys, I've been following this post and wanted to report a similar experience. I have a 2014 RS5 with 14K non-track and non-abuse miles on it. I had my car in for dealer service and now I have noticeable breaking vibration, really bad above 50 MPH. The dealer said I need new rotors and I have to get both to the tune of $3000 with pads. Really?

Mike
Old 12-02-2014, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikeantonucci
Hey Guys, I've been following this post and wanted to report a similar experience. I have a 2014 RS5 with 14K non-track and non-abuse miles on it. I had my car in for dealer service and now I have noticeable breaking vibration, really bad above 50 MPH. The dealer said I need new rotors and I have to get both to the tune of $3000 with pads. Really?

Mike
I know brakes are usually considered a wear item. However at 14,000 miles there is no way (except abuse) rotors should be worn or warped. I'd certainly argue for warrantee coverage on both Pads and Rotors. If you drive it as you say, pads should show it by only being worn slightly from New-Spec. Based on those measurements the dealer can see how easy you are on your brakes and support your case with Audi. If your pads are nearly worn out at 14,000 miles--well that tells a different story.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Looks like my brake saga may be resolved. Took my A6 back to the dealer for the 3rd time. They had replaced the front rotors on the first trip and the rear rotors on the 2nd trip. On the 3rd trip the replaced the front and rear pads and now all is well. All vibration and pulsation is gone. The dealer said my pads were barely worn but replacing only the rotors did not completely cure the problem. My dealer and Audi of America stepped up and I am a happy camper. This is the only problem I have experienced with my car in 20 months of ownership and 19K miles.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NightCrawler
That's poor service. Didn't they notice what they did didn't work? Why didn't they keep the car, order the pads, and take care of it in one visit?
I asked about this and their answer was that no loaner car was available and we are 80 miles from the dealer. When I get my follow up survey I include this in my comments.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I believe like any part, there is a chance of a manufacturing defect. In this case it was probably the pads since replacing the rotors didn't solve the problem. It could have been a bad batch from a supplier and was unlikely a global defect in design or we would be reading super long threads of owners complaining.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just picked up my car today from it's 15,000 mile service. They informed me that my brake rotors were 50% worn and needed to be replaced for $900. I have the same feeling that a car with only 15,000 miles should not have rotor issues.

Since reading your post I am going back to the dealer to have another conversation.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

called Audi America today, they are going to talk with the dealer and get back to me within 2 business days. Curious to see if they will do anything.....
Old 12-10-2014, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Took my A6 for 15,000 mile service and was experiencing the same issue with vibration. Dealer told me rotor was warped. Said warranty is 1 yr/12,000 mile and so I was 2 days out of 1 year. He asked me to pay for pads and they will take care of the rest. Maybe I should call Audi of America too ?
Even more appaling is that my inspection failed since he said my tires are worn out. After just 15,000 miles ??? These were the tires the new car came with. Have never had tires fail me in just 15,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Warped brake rotors