Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

What's wrong with Audi not supporting Asian characters on MMI?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What's wrong with Audi not supporting Asian characters on MMI?

It is silly to see that Asian character song names are showing perfectly on dash display, but they are jumbled mass on MMI display.
Engineers not talking each others in Audi?
Old 07-18-2016, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably worth writing AoA. I know the Asian market Audi's display the characters properly on MMI's, though those are probably not programmed to handle multiple different Asian char sets, either, is my guess
Old 07-20-2016, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i read on audi korea forums that they have a way to update the mmi to display korean correctly and actually fixed all the mmi's that was shipped without the fix before 2014 and started to include it in 2014. however i was unable to contact any dealers or rather no dealers are responding to me when i inquire about the update to see if they can just send me the fix to apply myself.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

My guess is that it has something to do with our MMI's English-language settings. It's my understanding that all the new touch control systems were specifically developed due to the proliferation of sales into the far east, specifically China.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jlim0930
i read on audi korea forums that they have a way to update the mmi to display korean correctly and actually fixed all the mmi's that was shipped without the fix before 2014 and started to include it in 2014. however i was unable to contact any dealers or rather no dealers are responding to me when i inquire about the update to see if they can just send me the fix to apply myself.
I had a 2012 A6 in Korea for 3.5 years. It supported Korean Characters. But they used a third party software that integrated into the MMI.

I am in the US now with the 2016 and the MMI screen does not support the Korean characters. I also have asked in emails to my old dealer, but no response. Seems they don't care unless you are their direct customer.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Inyoury
I had a 2012 A6 in Korea for 3.5 years. It supported Korean Characters. But they used a third party software that integrated into the MMI.

I am in the US now with the 2016 and the MMI screen does not support the Korean characters. I also have asked in emails to my old dealer, but no response. Seems they don't care unless you are their direct customer.
its so sad that even cheapos from ford and kia supports multiple languages all the way up to mb and bmw but audi and porsche(our other car) does not support unicode or asian languages at all.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks all for chiming in.
What's irking more than anything is that dash display shows fine, but MMI can not.
I have been googling but no luck yet finding a solution.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audi bug
Thanks all for chiming in.
What's irking more than anything is that dash display shows fine, but MMI can not.
I have been googling but no luck yet finding a solution.
this is what i found
????? | A4 / A5 / A6 / A8 ?? MMI ??? ?? - Daum ??

i dont have korean id so i cant create a login to post on the cafe to get help....
Old 07-22-2016, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jlim0930
this is what i found
????? | A4 / A5 / A6 / A8 ?? MMI ??? ?? - Daum ??

i dont have korean id so i cant create a login to post on the cafe to get help....
한국분이시네요, 반갑습니다!

Yeah, I read that too.
It said that 3rd generation MMI supports multi languages and Korean language can be selected in the MMI settings menu.
Obviously Audi has different MMI for different regions. It has 10 regional versions per MMI wiki.
In my MMI, I think there are three language selections: English, French, and Spanish.

I suppose you can order a CD for different region and update it, but I don't want change the base language of MMI. All I want is support for display characters.
Audi is not thinking forward. World is getting smaller, and United States has about 10% foreign born population.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audi bug
한국분이시네요, 반갑습니다!

Yeah, I read that too.
It said that 3rd generation MMI supports multi languages and Korean language can be selected in the MMI settings menu.
Obviously Audi has different MMI for different regions. It has 10 regional versions per MMI wiki.
In my MMI, I think there are three language selections: English, French, and Spanish.

I suppose you can order a CD for different region and update it, but I don't want change the base language of MMI. All I want is support for display characters.
Audi is not thinking forward. World is getting smaller, and United States has about 10% foreign born population.
방갑습니다!

yeah same for me i just want it to be able to display korean but menus in english so that my songs and contacts show up correctly.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with Audi not supporting Asian characters on MMI?