Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Winter Set

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Set

I'm looking to invest in a Winter set of tires for my A6. I want to put them on Audi rims. I'm not seeing many A6 rims to buy but can I make use of some A4 rims? Presently I have 18" rims and thinking of getting 17" rims for the winter set. Any advice?
Old 09-29-2015, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tire rack has a good deal on A6 17"wheel/winter tires with their rims. About 1,000. I had good results on a similar package on my A4. May buy winter set for the A6 even though I have all seasons. A4 had summer rubber so winter tires were essential. Doubt the A4 wheels will work.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice. Will Tire Rack store the set of wheels/tires you aren't using at the moment?
Old 09-29-2015, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by schalliol
Nice. Will Tire Rack store the set of wheels/tires you aren't using at the moment?
You need to check with one of the local approved installers in your area. Mine provides that service, so we just drive in for a "NASCAR" pit stop twice a year. Works very well!
Old 09-29-2015, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ha, nice! I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting a set of winter tires and wheels for the S6 vs. going all season. Do you need to get a separate set of TPMS sensors, if you do this? If so, what does that run? Thanks!
Old 09-29-2015, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ha, nice! I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting a set of winter tires and wheels for the S6 vs. going all season. Do you need to get a separate set of TPMS sensors, if you do this? If so, what does that run? Thanks!
No TPMS needed for the A6; check S6, likely the same. So-called "All Season" is a non-starter for any winter beyond a light accumulation, even per the tire manufacturers' web sites. The difference in traction from the different rubber compounds at freezing temperatures is dramatic from "all season" (really, three season) to dedicated winter tires such as Michelin XIce xi3 or Blizzak WS80, and that is what makes the difference between making a stop or turn....or the consequences of not. Any all wheel drive system just helps you get going, it's the tires which provide all of the traction.

We just took delivery of some new 225/50-18 Blizzak WS80 mounted on new wheels on sale at tirerack.com to be prepped for the A6's first winter. TireRack delivered them to our local approved installer directly, and they are sitting and waiting for us once the white crap starts falling.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You of course are right. Here in central Indiana, some winters we get quite a bit of snow, but in others we get very little. Hence the debate. :/
Old 09-29-2015, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

You of course are right. Here in central Indiana, some winters we get quite a bit of snow, but in others we get very little. Hence the debate. :/
Have fire insurance at home? Ever have a house burn down yet?
Old 09-29-2015, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Barrels41
Tire rack has a good deal on A6 17"wheel/winter tires with their rims. About 1,000. I had good results on a similar package on my A4. May buy winter set for the A6 even though I have all seasons. A4 had summer rubber so winter tires were essential. Doubt the A4 wheels will work.
I saw that Tirerack deal but not liking their rims. They come at a cheap price- too cheap. What's the old saying- you get what you paid for.
Am I wrong with this opinion on rims?
Old 09-29-2015, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ha. Yeah, I get it. Almost no one has winter tires in central Indiana, and do very well with them. I would of course prefer to have good winter tires, but I'm weighing the $1,600-$2,000 for winter tires and wheels that would be a good fit for the S6. I suppose I can look at the tires like the tires are a wash since they prolong the life of all season. If for safety primarily, I should prioritize doing that on the van.

Quick Reply: Winter Set