Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Winter Tire package

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 02:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Would those be hub centric rings?
I believe so. They appear to be aluminum hub centric rings. Unfortunately, the ASA documentation and help is sparse, so there is still some concern. I can say that the tires originally had plastic hub rings, and I wondered if they were supposed to be used or not.

I'll be putting the winter setup back on within the next month (once the temps get down consistently), so we'll know for sure pretty soon!
Old 10-20-2012, 02:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks for the vote of confidence noservice! I've got my fingers crossed.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SSA6
Did anyone yet purchase the Audi recommended winter wheel and tire package from their dealer?
Not all dealers have the same package. My local dealer was offering snow tires at a sale price in the spring so I called the parts dept for more info. They told me the specs and said that they got their wheels and tires from Tirerack. I checked Tirerack and could buy them for around $300 less than the sale price. I think that if you go through the dealer, they install them for you and store the off season tires. There's a value to that service if you need it. They also will sell you new tires when you wear out the old tires. The danger is that they might lose or damage your off season wheels.

Price seems a bit high compared to packages on Tire rack or other sites - although there you don't get the Audi wheel. I'm not sure about the 225/50 R18 99H Pirelli Winter SOTTOZERO™ SERIE II tires. Seem just OK depending on what site survey you read.
The new Audi OEM wheels will cost more than new aftermarket wheels. As you found out, the dealer didn't buy the top of the line tires to go with them.

1. Any experiences with that tire versus others?
There's many places to check snow tire performance. Sites like car magazines or Consumers Report probably are less biased since they are not in the business of selling tires.

2. Why the change in tire size versus the stock 24/45/18 Continentals.
Typically, snow tires are narrower to cut through deep snow. If you drive in mostly urban areas, you could go with the stock size. Snow tires will give you the best traction in snow but they also will take longer to stop in the dry and wear out sooner because there is less rubber on the road surface.

You may be able to use all season tires if your area is subject to light snow that is plowed.

3. Any thoughts / guidance?
I live in a rural area of western New York. We get an average of ten feet of snow yearly. If I didn't have snow tires, I couldn't get out of my driveway. I try to find a empty parking lot during the first snow and get used to the reduced traction. Do a few hard stops and tight turns. Stay away from light poles and curbs. Get used to recovering from a skid. Let it be a learning experience.

If you need to slow down for a curve, do it while going straight. If they lock up, you will be going straight anyways and it costs less to have road under your wheels.

Which ever wheels and tires you choose, slow down if it's snowing. Speed is not your friend if there is no traction.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sorry for bumping this old thread. But a question for those of you who purchased a set of 4-225/50R-18 Michelin X-Ice Xi3 XL tires and 4-18x8 moda MD11 BDC rims from Tire Rack

Can you tell me how you liked both the tires and the wheels? How did they perform for you this winter

While my A6 is not even here yet (another 2 weeks ) Tirerack has some winter tires on closeout and I was thinking about buying them now rather than waiting til next winter

Looking at Pilot Alpin PA4, X-Ice Xi3 and Blizzak LM60

Thanks
Old 05-02-2013, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the blizzaks on my a4 and live in co with a fair amount of snow. They have been awesome and I plan on doing the same on my a6. Fwiw.
Derek
Old 08-24-2015, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am about to take delivery of a S4 with summer tires. Will the OEM winter wheel and tire set synch with the cars tire pressure monitor? Also, is there a feature in the wheel that sends RPM data to the sport differential? In other words, do I need to buy the winter wheel and tire set from Audi to take full advantage of the car's capability?
Old 08-24-2015, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by lje
Has anyone purchased the Dunlap SP Winter Sport 3D. I have a 2013 Premium Plus and need a set of winter tires/wheels I have a quote from my dealer for factory wheels, the same 10 spoke OEM wheels that came with the car, but as you can imagine they are fairly expensive. I also have a quote for the Dunlaps from Tire Rack Does Tire Rack offer a 18" wheel that would look good.
These are really good snow tires. I've run them a lot in the snow and they perform very very well. If I still lived in the snow belt, these are what I would get.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmmdtm
I have the blizzaks on my a4 and live in co with a fair amount of snow. They have been awesome and I plan on doing the same on my a6. Fwiw.
Derek
Originally Posted by Maui19
These [Dunlop Winter Sport] are really good snow tires. I've run them a lot in the snow and they perform very very well. If I still lived in the snow belt, these are what I would get.
Glad the Dunlops worked out for you, but there are far more capable winter tires. Those Dunlops are only performance winter tires which are highly compromised on snow/ice to favor dry, albeit cold, roads. The Blizzak WS80 (not the LM series) or Michelin XIce xi3 (not the Alpin) are far more capable, as "studless winter" tires on snow/ice, although with some less dry road performance capability. These are trade-offs which should be considered depending on what winter conditions you encounter.

BTW, not sure about winter tire advice from a guy named, "Maui"!!
Old 08-24-2015, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by pjsingh
I am about to take delivery of a S4 with summer tires. Will the OEM winter wheel and tire set synch with the cars tire pressure monitor? Also, is there a feature in the wheel that sends RPM data to the sport differential? In other words, do I need to buy the winter wheel and tire set from Audi to take full advantage of the car's capability?
There are no tire pressure sensors in the wheels which means any properly sized wheel/tire combination will work. You just have to ensure that the tire pressure in each tire is correct and there is a screen in the MMI to accept the tire pressures. The wheel speed sensors for the ABS can determine if the rotational speed of any tire has changed, which would indicate an under inflated tire. Works well and easily facilitates the changing of wheels between winter and summer. There is nothing special about Audi wheels that would force you to buy from the dealer.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportstick
Glad the Dunlops worked out for you, but there are far more capable winter tires. Those Dunlops are only performance winter tires which are highly compromised on snow/ice to favor dry, albeit cold, roads. The Blizzak WS80 (not the LM series) or Michelin XIce xi3 (not the Alpin) are far more capable, as "studless winter" tires on snow/ice, although with some less dry road performance capability. These are trade-offs which should be considered depending on what winter conditions you encounter.

BTW, not sure about winter tire advice from a guy named, "Maui"!!
Fair enough, but in my experience (27 years of driving in Northern New England on many different kinds of snow tires), the Dunlops were the best snow tires I've run. IMO it is a big mistake to discount dry weather performance, since so much of one's winter driving is on cold, snowless roads. The Dunlops excel in both snow and dry conditions.

Quick Reply: Winter Tire package