Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Xpel Ultimate

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is still worth to cover the front half. I am happy with my installer. He cut everything by hand and it was like watching an artist putting it on my car. When I was rear ended the insurance adjusted allowed the replacement of the bumper cover, rear diffuser, Xpel ultimate film replacement for bumper cover and if anything else was damaged inside of the bumper. After looking under the bumper cover, some of the sensors were damaged and needed to be replaced as well as some plastic parts. The bumper cover wasn't damaged. The Xpel took all the scratches. The other person's car front bumper was 40% off, left fender bent and sticking out as well as both headlights cracked. I was surprised that my car wasn't more damaged.

As Snag pointed out, the product and installation differs depending on the installer and region. Locally there is a guy 40 minutes away who quoted me at $6,000 for the whole. The guy who installed mine charged me much less for the whole car. That included the entire roof, the first 9 inches wrapped under the front bumper. He hand cuts and wraps all the major parts around leaving very few noticeable seams. The only part I know he didn't hand cut was the front bumper due to it being the s-line bumper and it would have taken him extra hours in just cutting. The guy's name is Albert from Block A Chip and he comes from Cleveland at least every week to Pittsburgh.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think if I do it, I'll try to get the lower few inches which can really get cut-up. Thanks for the advice, folks!
Old 11-17-2015, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm waiting for a part for my dash cam that I can download the footage to my phone. I'll post the footage on the impact from the rear on here as soon as I can.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by schalliol
Thanks for the insight. So, what do you think. 2 year old car with 20k mi, would you do a clay bar and other cleaning and then do it or save the money for retouching if needed?
Here's the thing. If you wait to save money and have, say, your hood repainted (touch ups will look like it has the measles), you'll have a nice new looking hood until the first rock puts another fat chip in the paint. I would let a pro detailer/installer do the prep - they use rotary brushes to get all the crud, minor scrathes, swirls and old wax off the paint then apply the film. This will prevent further damage from road junk. It's like should I wait on cleaning my teeth and save money for bridges and inplants later.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Makes sense. Yeah, and I mean touch ups in the professional way where they re-paint basically. Yeah, I guess get it prepped and then do it.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say yes if you're planning on keeping the car for more than a few years.

I had a master detailer work on my CPO car and prepped for the installer. I know it may not be perfect, but I know that main area of the car is protected.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Depends on your location and how much of the car you want covered. Most people do the full front as I have - full hood, fenders, bumper, mirrors and A pillars - tht's the are a most exposed to rocks and other debris. I also had the rocker panels done. In MA it cost me around $1600 three years ago including a full paint prep which is necessary. Xpel Ultimate comes with a 10 year parts and labor warranty against defects, not damage from external causes.

Note that while the self-healing film is excellent at resisting paint chips from rocks, no film is strong enough to prevent body damage from a collision. I suspect that the OP's collision was not strong enough to damage the rear bumper and the film played only a small role, perhaps in avoiding some scratches. Great stuff though and worth the premium over other films.
Thank you for chiming in! Always great to hear from someone that loves the products!

Originally Posted by schalliol
Thanks for the insight. So, what do you think. 2 year old car with 20k mi, would you do a clay bar and other cleaning and then do it or save the money for retouching if needed?
Before an installation the installer should prep the car, includes but not limited to cleaning and claying the car. If you do have chips/imperfections depending on the color and severity they could show even after touched up. Your best bet is to take it to a clear bra installer and ask him what they'd recommend.

Originally Posted by Inyoury
I think it is still worth to cover the front half. I am happy with my installer. He cut everything by hand and it was like watching an artist putting it on my car. When I was rear ended the insurance adjusted allowed the replacement of the bumper cover, rear diffuser, Xpel ultimate film replacement for bumper cover and if anything else was damaged inside of the bumper. After looking under the bumper cover, some of the sensors were damaged and needed to be replaced as well as some plastic parts. The bumper cover wasn't damaged. The Xpel took all the scratches. The other person's car front bumper was 40% off, left fender bent and sticking out as well as both headlights cracked. I was surprised that my car wasn't more damaged.

As Snag pointed out, the product and installation differs depending on the installer and region. Locally there is a guy 40 minutes away who quoted me at $6,000 for the whole. The guy who installed mine charged me much less for the whole car. That included the entire roof, the first 9 inches wrapped under the front bumper. He hand cuts and wraps all the major parts around leaving very few noticeable seams. The only part I know he didn't hand cut was the front bumper due to it being the s-line bumper and it would have taken him extra hours in just cutting. The guy's name is Albert from Block A Chip and he comes from Cleveland at least every week to Pittsburgh.
Glad to hear you're okay, and sorry to hear about the accident

...any picture's of where the film saved the bumper from severe damage? Would love to show the guys around the office...Albert from Ohio does great work.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by XPEL
Thank you for chiming in! Always great to hear from someone that loves the products!

Before an installation the installer should prep the car, includes but not limited to cleaning and claying the car. If you do have chips/imperfections depending on the color and severity they could show even after touched up. Your best bet is to take it to a clear bra installer and ask him what they'd recommend.

Glad to hear you're okay, and sorry to hear about the accident

...any picture's of where the film saved the bumper from severe damage? Would love to show the guys around the office...Albert from Ohio does great work.
Once I get a part from Korea for my dash cams I will download and upload the footage of the accident. I wish I took pictures of the other guy's car...
Old 11-19-2015, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by XPEL
Not sure if you read my long accident saga thread - I discuss the replacement of Xpel Ultimate on parts of the car after the body repairs..

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...me-up-2886074/
Old 11-25-2015, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Snag, I loved your detailed post on the other thread about your Xpel experience

I'm debating getting at least the front done but labor cost in NYC is giving me second thoughts. Anyone have recommendations in the PA/DE/VA area of someone who installs Xpel like a pro?

Quick Reply: Xpel Ultimate