A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

'00 A6 Avant Prop Shaft Replacement / Center Bearing Align

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '00 A6 Avant Prop Shaft Replacement / Center Bearing Align

I just bit the bullet and paid the big $$ to replace my prop shaft with a new OEM unit. The center bearing was shot (150k Miles) and I was getting a shudder & clunk when accelerating from a stop.
Even tho I was very careful to mark the position of the Old center bearing support before removing it, and the new one was put in the same place, I am now getting a "drone" or Hum at exactly 50 MPH. It is not terrible, and goes away above , and below 50 MPH. The good news is the shudder and clunk are completely gone.
My research indicates this drone is due to a mis- aligned center bearing support.
Audi has a special jig (VAG 3405) to use when aligning the center bearing.
Has anyone had success in replacing their prop shaft, and aligning without using this tool?
Any advice, suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Old 04-01-2015, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default There's a VAG 3405 on ebay in .de for 50 euro.

Originally Posted by nickcarguy
I just bit the bullet and paid the big $$ to replace my prop shaft with a new OEM unit. The center bearing was shot (150k Miles) and I was getting a shudder & clunk when accelerating from a stop.
Even tho I was very careful to mark the position of the Old center bearing support before removing it, and the new one was put in the same place, I am now getting a "drone" or Hum at exactly 50 MPH. It is not terrible, and goes away above , and below 50 MPH. The good news is the shudder and clunk are completely gone.
My research indicates this drone is due to a mis- aligned center bearing support.
Audi has a special jig (VAG 3405) to use when aligning the center bearing.
Has anyone had success in replacing their prop shaft, and aligning without using this tool?
Any advice, suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Of course, shipping might be a little more.
Do it right.

I recall reading on this forum one guy who fabricated his own jig so you might STF and if you find it, buy it from him since he's highly unlikely to use it again, LOL!

You could also buy the .de one, use it, and probably sell it again in the US!

VW + Audi VAG VAS 3405 3139 Spezialwerkzeug Montagevorrichtung Kardanwelle | eBay
Old 04-01-2015, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just built my own. I used light bar stock. if you build it yourself, align everything along a piece of tube, like exhaust stock, and weld everything at once. I took me about a half hour to build mine. After my install, there was no need for shims on the center bearing. AT LEAST I HAVE A GREAT TUBE HOLDER NOW THOUGH!
Old 04-01-2015, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You definitely need some sort of alignment tool.

Just replacing the shims in the original position doesn't really work since the center support bearing assemblies are dimensionally all over the place. Plus in addition to vertical alignment the center support needs to be aligned laterally (left-right) and this can only be accomplished with the tool.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dwengi
You definitely need some sort of alignment tool.

Just replacing the shims in the original position doesn't really work since the center support bearing assemblies are dimensionally all over the place. Plus in addition to vertical alignment the center support needs to be aligned laterally (left-right) and this can only be accomplished with the tool.
Thanks to all for the replies.
I'm pretty close with the parts manager at a local Audi dealer. The same guy that got me the drive shaft for $300 less than retail. And it was still crazy expensive.
I'm going to try to borrow the tool from the dealership when closed over a weekend.
Anyone out there have an alignment tool they can rent for a day ?