A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

02 A6 quattro 2.7

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 A6 quattro 2.7

I've looked through posts here and haven't found this info, so please forgive me if this is a common nerbie question. Looking at buying an 02 A6 Quattro 2.7 with the tiptronic automatic. The little bit of info I've found seems to indicate the sterring wheel should have some controlls on it, at least the two tiptronic buttons, if not all the radio buttons etc. But as you can see in the photo below, this car does not. Is this normal? Has the wheel been replaced with an incorrect wheel? What about the radio and other controls? Are they all optional, or should they also be standard?

This is a shot of the cockpit showing the steering wheel.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by marcsayer
I've looked through posts here and haven't found this info, so please forgive me if this is a common nerbie question. Looking at buying an 02 A6 Quattro 2.7 with the tiptronic automatic. The little bit of info I've found seems to indicate the sterring wheel should have some controlls on it, at least the two tiptronic buttons, if not all the radio buttons etc. But as you can see in the photo below, this car does not. Is this normal? Has the wheel been replaced with an incorrect wheel? What about the radio and other controls? Are they all optional, or should they also be standard?

This is a shot of the cockpit showing the steering wheel.
It does appear to be a strange duck…it has the upgraded compass rear view mirror…dunno why it doesn't have the radio controls on the steering wheel.

You might want to check out the steering wheel for an existing airbag and/or the car fax for collision repair…sometimes wrecks are repaired without replacing the expensive airbag…they use a cosmetic airbag cover without the airbag to save about $1100.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

My 01 2.7 tip does not have any buttons on the steering wheel. Also have a 2000 2.7 that has the buttons. Never use them. Aside from Sloop's concerns ...
Old 10-30-2014, 08:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. The main reason I was asking was exactly the concerns sloop brought up. It raised a flag for me that they might have replaced parts because of an accident. We are doing a Carfax on the car to make sure it wasn't in a major accident. So next question is, if the car did come with that steering wheel originally, will the wiring for the buttons still be there? In other words can I buy a wheel with the buttons, and be able to hook everything up? In other brands wiring for features not used is in the harness, it's just not connected to anything. Does Audi also do this?
Old 10-30-2014, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marcsayer
Thanks guys. The main reason I was asking was exactly the concerns sloop brought up. It raised a flag for me that they might have replaced parts because of an accident. We are doing a Carfax on the car to make sure it wasn't in a major accident. So next question is, if the car did come with that steering wheel originally, will the wiring for the buttons still be there? In other words can I buy a wheel with the buttons, and be able to hook everything up? In other brands wiring for features not used is in the harness, it's just not connected to anything. Does Audi also do this?
If you can see the car again take a picture of the PR code decal in the spare tire well area and use this link PlanetVAG.com - VW & Audi PR Code Search, at least you will know what options the car came with new from the factory.