A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

04 A6 2.7t Tip having Tip issue!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 A6 2.7t Tip having Tip issue!

Defeated by my transmission.
04 2.7t S-line Tip. I literally have spent the last month trying to figure this thing out. The car is ready for the road except for this. Miss driving it. Been sitting since November.

Replaced the f125 switch and has a new TC.
It will go S>D>N>R>P with the switch, the shifter linkage (behind switch), and cluster indicator. But will not go P>R>N>D>S on any unless I manually switch the linkage behind switch.

Transmission worked perfect before the timing belt went out. And I'm not sure if the transmission is actually engaging.
I can hear the RPM's drop when in gears but no wheel movement.

The car has been sitting for awhile so the battery is low. I have a new one but currently in my passat.

It only will show the f125 if I have the shifter cable adjustment to tight.
TC is seated all the way. That was triple checked since I do not enjoy pulling my motor out. Already have done it 3 times. And no fluid leaking.

All the transmission fluid seem to be in the pan. I pulled the fill plug out and it came pouring out. Haven't been letting it run to long since there is a little over a quart of fluid in the TC from when I put it in.

Can anyone give me a quick rundown on how the transmission works? If I'm not letting it get to temp will the pump not pump fluid? And does the transmission make the gears go P-S instead of the shifter cable?
Anyone one have any Idea's? Or willing to fix it for a fee besides the dealership? North West Ohio.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Low voltage causes a lot of problems. Fix it.

Originally Posted by deviantirish
Defeated by my transmission.
04 2.7t S-line Tip. I literally have spent the last month trying to figure this thing out. The car is ready for the road except for this. Miss driving it. Been sitting since November.

Replaced the f125 switch and has a new TC.
It will go S>D>N>R>P with the switch, the shifter linkage (behind switch), and cluster indicator. But will not go P>R>N>D>S on any unless I manually switch the linkage behind switch.

Transmission worked perfect before the timing belt went out. And I'm not sure if the transmission is actually engaging.
I can hear the RPM's drop when in gears but no wheel movement.

The car has been sitting for awhile so the battery is low. I have a new one but currently in my passat.

It only will show the f125 if I have the shifter cable adjustment to tight.
TC is seated all the way. That was triple checked since I do not enjoy pulling my motor out. Already have done it 3 times. And no fluid leaking.

All the transmission fluid seem to be in the pan. I pulled the fill plug out and it came pouring out. Haven't been letting it run to long since there is a little over a quart of fluid in the TC from when I put it in.

Can anyone give me a quick rundown on how the transmission works? If I'm not letting it get to temp will the pump not pump fluid? And does the transmission make the gears go P-S instead of the shifter cable?
Anyone one have any Idea's? Or willing to fix it for a fee besides the dealership? North West Ohio.

?
Old 03-21-2015, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ^^^Agreed^^^

The codes are suggesting "lack of voltage" sounds like a connection issue or the source of voltage.

Also something mentioned about the trans fluid pouring out of the fill plug don't sound right, like the proper level. If the trans fluid was cold and it's running out it's overfilled.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

"Quote deviantirish:Replaced the f125 switch and has a new TC.
It will go S>D>N>R>P with the switch, the shifter linkage (behind switch), and cluster indicator. But will not go P>R>N>D>S on any unless I manually switch the linkage behind switch. Quote"

What switch are you manually engaging...linkage....switch??
Old 03-22-2015, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jcman
"Quote deviantirish:Replaced the f125 switch and has a new TC.
It will go S>D>N>R>P with the switch, the shifter linkage (behind switch), and cluster indicator. But will not go P>R>N>D>S on any unless I manually switch the linkage behind switch. Quote"

What switch are you manually engaging...linkage....switch??
Yes. The linkage switch behind the multiswitch.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

The codes are suggesting "lack of voltage" sounds like a connection issue or the source of voltage.

Also something mentioned about the trans fluid pouring out of the fill plug don't sound right, like the proper level. If the trans fluid was cold and it's running out it's overfilled.
I figured out why it came pouring out. The wrong plug was opened.

I am going to get it back up on the lift this weekend and fill it up and see if that makes a difference in the way it reacts.

Nice Profile pic of the SR-71 Blackbird. I have seen 2 of them at 2 museums. Florida has a long tail one.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I figured out why it came pouring out. The wrong plug was opened.

I am going to get it back up on the lift this weekend and fill it up and see if that makes a difference in the way it reacts.

Nice Profile pic of the SR-71 Blackbird. I have seen 2 of them at 2 museums. Florida has a long tail one.
I really would like to be more help but you have some issues with your trans that almost seem to be a one before the other situation or the other before one, linkage problems appear to be the main source of codes and the engagement problem that could be relevant or all together not, fluid levels are very critical on a ZF auto trans.

I believe you posted a thread months ago on the linkage and questions about it along with the engine pull, it just seems to me that the linkage has to be installed with exact alignment to a square shaft on the trans. I'll have to look back and see the pdf about that.

Yep the SR-71 is without a doubt the King of the Birds, almost hard to believe it was designed when it was, way ahead of it's time even today.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

I really would like to be more help but you have some issues with your trans that almost seem to be a one before the other situation or the other before one, linkage problems appear to be the main source of codes and the engagement problem that could be relevant or all together not, fluid levels are very critical on a ZF auto trans.

I believe you posted a thread months ago on the linkage and questions about it along with the engine pull, it just seems to me that the linkage has to be installed with exact alignment to a square shaft on the trans. I'll have to look back and see the pdf about that.

Yep the SR-71 is without a doubt the King of the Birds, almost hard to believe it was designed when it was, way ahead of it's time even today.
The pdf you sent me in my engine pull thread was very useful. I did manage to find some documents that show the adjustment procedure for the linkage cable as well.
I feel that since my paranoia kicked in not wanting to run the car long enough to let it get to temp to fill since the new TC is probably my issue. I know that the transmission is roughly 4qts low.
I am going to look at my Passat 4motion to see how it works in comparison to the A6 since the transmissions are almost the same.

Have to love a jet that's evasive action is to simply accelerate and out run it.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The pdf you sent me in my engine pull thread was very useful. I did manage to find some documents that show the adjustment procedure for the linkage cable as well.
I feel that since my paranoia kicked in not wanting to run the car long enough to let it get to temp to fill since the new TC is probably my issue. I know that the transmission is roughly 4qts low.
I am going to look at my Passat 4motion to see how it works in comparison to the A6 since the transmissions are almost the same.

Have to love a jet that's evasive action is to simply accelerate and out run it.
Yep your linkage problem does sound like an adjustment is need, that engine pull you did presented other issues that sometimes put the other things in mind on the back burner, it happens....

Four quarts lows is a big gap for sure in a ZF trans and the top off to level will make a huge difference. That Passat 4Motion uses a Haldex center diff if I recall but so does the TT and A3.

SR-71 cruise "mission" speed 80% throttle with 20% reserve to evade the fastest missile on earth without any degree of turn.......catch me if you can!
Gotta hand it to Kelly Johnson and Lockhead, they kept us safe.