A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

1998 a6 2.8 head/engine questions atq vs aha

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 07:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The information is still relevant isn't it?
Old 09-15-2014, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 65 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by CrookedToad
The information is still relevant isn't it?
yes it is but sometimes when you pose a question on a 2 year old thread to a previous poster he may be long gone. Geaorge was just making you aware of that. I think there are only a small handful of us that have nbeen around longer than that . a lot of posters are hit and run. once their issue is resolved you never hear from them again as they arent interested in giving back to the community , only in fixing their car.

different strokes i guess.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ya I feel ya. I have posted a few different threads on this issue mostly on audiforums but I wasn't getting any solid results so I posted on here. I figured I'd give it a shot. I still haven't resolved my issue and its been a few months and nobody seems to know that there is 2 different style cylinder heads for this motor. 1 has an oil line that sits on the top of the camshaft bearing caps and one does not. If these are the same cast and the only difference is that oil line then cool, but nobody seems to know. Pm me an email and I can show you what I am talking about. I was curious of this thread if this guy was dealing with the same issue or not. I do not plan on being that guy that's just around to fix my issue and leave.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya I feel ya. I have posted a few different threads on this issue mostly on audiforums but I wasn't getting any solid results so I posted on here. I figured I'd give it a shot. I still haven't resolved my issue and its been a few months and nobody seems to know that there is 2 different style cylinder heads for this motor. 1 has an oil line that sits on the top of the camshaft bearing caps and one does not. If these are the same cast and the only difference is that oil line then cool, but nobody seems to know. Pm me an email and I can show you what I am talking about. I was curious of this thread if this guy was dealing with the same issue or not. I do not plan on being that guy that's just around to fix my issue and leave.
4Driver4 already answered this question on post#2, I would deem his info very reliable.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:25 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

1 has an oil line that sits on the top of the camshaft bearing caps and one does not.
I have never seen this unicorn oil line in tearing down dozens of these motors.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ya he seems very knowledgeable and that is not in question, we have been posting back and forth but I think most people think I am talking about an external oil line and not something that is inside the head. I tried posting some pictures but that didn't work out I guess. The fact that I can't even find pictures online about this kinda head bothers me. I cant be the only person on the planet with this style head or have even seen one. My gf drives it mostly and she works different hours than I do so I don't always have access to the car and I have already torn up one seal removing the valve cover to inspect it and I don't want to continue to tare up seals. I will try and get a picture of these heads so we are all confirmed to be on the same page.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:55 PM
Tech Guru

Ya he seems very knowledgeable and that is not in question, we have been posting back and forth but I think most people think I am talking about an external oil line and not something that is inside the head. I tried posting some pictures but that didn't work out I guess. The fact that I can't even find pictures online about this kinda head bothers me. I cant be the only person on the planet with this style head or have even seen one. My gf drives it mostly and she works different hours than I do so I don't always have access to the car and I have already torn up one seal removing the valve cover to inspect it and I don't want to continue to tare up seals. I will try and get a picture of these heads so we are all confirmed to be on the same page.
I can understand your concern. As Kris notes, there were some differences between the very early AHA and the later AHA. Because I do know that the PCV system and the block itself are different within AHA, I am willing to concede that there may be a remote possibility that there is some minor difference in the head casting. That said, any difference should not significant to cause any issue. All the AHA and ATQ heads are interchangeable.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

ok thank you. Now I am concerned a bit that I may have an ATQ engine with the wrong ECU. Is there a way to run the VIN to find out for sure? The replacement head I bought was for an AHA according to the part numbers (078103373AH) but if I run the part numbers say on a site like ecstuning they are different, like the valve covers. Its just so weird to me that I cant find anything about this oil line head they must not have made very many of them. Would this model be for a 2.8Q? I have seen a few people with a Q behind the 2.8??
Old 09-16-2014, 07:29 AM
Tech Guru

ok thank you. Now I am concerned a bit that I may have an ATQ engine with the wrong ECU. Is there a way to run the VIN to find out for sure? The replacement head I bought was for an AHA according to the part numbers (078103373AH) but if I run the part numbers say on a site like ecstuning they are different, like the valve covers. Its just so weird to me that I cant find anything about this oil line head they must not have made very many of them. Would this model be for a 2.8Q? I have seen a few people with a Q behind the 2.8??
OK. Again:
ATQ and AHA are the same exact engine. The only difference is drive by wire on the ATQ. The exception is the very early production AHA engines that were slightly different. Stop over analyzing. Head is a head is a head for the AHA and ATQ. Bentley is wrong sometimes.

Bolt the head on and drive the car.