A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2000 4.2 Overheats, white smoke from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 09:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 4.2 Overheats, white smoke from exhaust

Hi. I just bought this car... Probably a bad decision...

Long story, please bear with me.

When I looked at it it was dark out. Also the kid cut off the stock mufflers and just left the pipes after the cat. So I didn't think much of the smoke. I figured maybe it was the lack of mufflers.

The car had some extra fan placed on the front of the rad on the opposite side of the accessory fan. The wires to the acc fan were cut and spliced to that. For what reason, who knows.
I noticed none of the 3 electric fans came on. I naively thought that was why it was overheating and this could end up being an easy fix.
So I took out that extra fan, retired the factory acc fan and changed the broken 40A fan fuse. Figured I'd be good to go... No dice.

I let the car idle, with A/C on for a little bit. The electric fans both work. Speed changes on the main fan. Car got up to normal temp and hovered for a little bit. I was happy. Then maybe 5 min later started to overheat.

White smoke from the exhaust happens once the motor starts to warm up, not right when it's started. It doesn't really smell sweet, more just like ****ty exhaust. I smelled a similar smell on a 92 Lexus once upon a time and I swapped the motor because it was super high miles and probably bad head gasket.

I welded the mufflers back on today. Can't believe someone would hack off perfectly good German smooth sounding mufflers. Didn't help the smoke...

Motor starts right up, and no CEL.

Clogged CAT? Head gaskets? Water pump? Thermostat? All of the above?

151k on the odometer. Said timing belt / water pump / thermostat done at 120k.

I've just ordered the service manual. Now considering options for code reading... Could use some advice on that too.

I'm thinking it may be best to just go all out and do all head gaskets and above, clean everything up (misc oil and coolant leaks around engine & oil pan), do belts, pump, stat... It's not registered yet, so I have some time to work on it before my current rust bucket dies.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zonict1
So I took out that extra fan, retired the factory acc fan and changed the broken 40A fan fuse.
* rewired
Old 07-03-2015, 09:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Forgot to mention the heater is hot.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I didnt even have to read your post. You said two magic phrases:

1. "overheat" and
2. "white smoke with sweet smell from exhaust"

Blown head gasket. Causes overheating. Allows coolant into oil and combustion chambers. Results in white smoke and smell.

I bet if you check the oil there will be some white milkiness to it, or maybe a layer of fluid as if rain fell on a bucket of oil.

Grant
Old 07-04-2015, 06:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Please read the post. I don't think it smells sweet really. I dunno. I guess I'm grasping for something.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Draining the oil will be the second thing I do after a compression test. First flush the coolant and see how nasty that concoction of cheap different colored fluids is.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I did. Sounds amazingly like a head gasket. Why do you reject the obvious?
Old 07-04-2015, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default There ARE combustion testers…..

Please read the post. I don't think it smells sweet really. I dunno. I guess I'm grasping for something.
Relatively cheap. But I agree..it sure looks like a head gasket leak. You can also pull all the plugs and look for a suspiciously really clean one. A leaking head gasket will often steam clean the living heck out of the plug involved.
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2015, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Think before you put a lot of money into a $5K car. It's not an S6...

Draining the oil will be the second thing I do after a compression test. First flush the coolant and see how nasty that concoction of cheap different colored fluids is.
Don't waste your time…if you have to pull the head you've just wasted coolant.
You'll probably end up doing a TB service and WP and serp belt at the same time.

Really consider if you want to keep the car. This ain't cheap.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Could this car have overheated before you got it? If so, it will be expensive to fix.

Quick Reply: 2000 4.2 Overheats, white smoke from exhaust