A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2000 4.2 Overheats, white smoke from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 09:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it did. I was aware of that. When I saw that the fans weren't working I thought it might be just that to fix. Get lucky, you know? But I knew it was overheating and I bought it with intentions of doing water pump thermostat timing belt. Just didn't think I'd have to replace head gaskets. In my research the past few days, it seems likely that the cam chain tensioners might need to be replaced. It all adds up to a pricey bunch of parts. I don't mind doing the work. But the time to do it all in scarce.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Most likely the tensioner shoes.

Originally Posted by zonict1
Yes it did. I was aware of that. When I saw that the fans weren't working I thought it might be just that to fix. Get lucky, you know? But I knew it was overheating and I bought it with intentions of doing water pump thermostat timing belt. Just didn't think I'd have to replace head gaskets. In my research the past few days, it seems likely that the cam chain tensioners might need to be replaced. It all adds up to a pricey bunch of parts. I don't mind doing the work. But the time to do it all in scarce.
IIRC you still have to put the cams back in after the heads are on so tensioners not so much easier to do with the heads off. But a lot cheaper to just replace the shoes. Failed tensioners most often because the shoes are gone and chain damages the tensioner.

Lots of labor involved…have fun with the head gaskets. 4.2 is a good car..if it weren't for those tensioner shoes and upcoming TB/WP service on our old 4.2 I probably would have kept it for a few more years for my daughter to run.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not saying it's easier or harder. Just that I'll be opening stuff up and that will fall in the path of work.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default I meant that it's unlikely the tensioners need to be replaced.

Not saying it's easier or harder. Just that I'll be opening stuff up and that will fall in the path of work.
Most of the time it's just the plastic shoes. They're on ebay for like $20 a pair and you need two pair for the engine. I've not seen a dealer p/n for the 4.2…they come as an assembly with the tensioner.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

it looks like you bought the previous owners 'headache' and are having to deal with unknown quality of repairs and the ability to ascertain actual current damage to the vehicle. I would have run away from this, since as you mentioned time is scarce...also I assume you want a level of reliability and any vehicle which has overheated could have a litany of issues. good luck with troubleshooting and I know the folks on the C5 forum are great, but if you need to do a HG job on this car, it may not actually be worth it.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Time to take account fore what you have.
1) How nice is the car in total?
2) How much will it cost to get it right?
3) How much is the car worth if sold?
4) Add #2 and #3 and think about what else you can get for that amount of money.
5) Make a decision!
Old 07-05-2015, 10:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good points. I definitely inherited a problem.

I got the car at $1400. I'm not sure I could sell it to someone with the knowledge that the head gaskets aren't solid. That's kinda below my ethical standards. I think I'm going to go at it full bore. Maybe put 1000 or 1200 in parts into it. That brings it up to around the kbb value. At least that's how I'm justifying it to myself. also I think once it's all put together properly, it'll last a while.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would have a good Audi shop also look it over and make a list of everything it is going to need in the next year or so. You might have a few more $100 to $500 surprises you need to put in your budget.
Suspension arms, Transmission oil seals, Transmission fluid change, exhaust system parts, and such come to mind.

Maybe you got lucky and the last owner already did a lot before he gave up on it?
Old 07-06-2015, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Overheated engines have a legacy. I would suggest either accepting a mistake was made and junk it. Or, buy another and keep this one for parts.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by clancy
Overheated engines have a legacy. I would suggest either accepting a mistake was made and junk it. Or, buy another and keep this one for parts.
Could be, or could be one and only issue.

That is why I wonder how the "whole car" looks.

Quick Reply: 2000 4.2 Overheats, white smoke from exhaust