A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

'99 oil leaks

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 oil leaks

Hi,

I'm new to the forum , just bought a used '99 A6 quattro 2.8 v6 avant, has 120k miles on it and seems to be in pretty good condition. It has (what I would call) a few minor oil leaks. I've trawled the internet a bit and rectified the engine based leak by changing out the crankcase breather hose which literally fell apart in my hands, so it's not dripping down from the sump anymore.

I can also see very small weep at the tail end of the transmission housing in between the exhaust pipes.

But there is also one more, that I can't see immediately the origin of. The starter motor is very well covered in oil, and it seems to drip down from around this area , eventually dripping off the passenger side lower wishbone, and surrouding area. Could this be the driveshaft seal? the underside of the driveshaft heatshield was fairly oily.

Any help much appreciated,
Chris
Old 06-01-2015, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are dripping at the rear of the transfer case you need a new seal.

As for the rest, get it cleaned off, and start looking carefully.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by N_Jay
If you are dripping at the rear of the transfer case you need a new seal.

As for the rest, get it cleaned off, and start looking carefully.

Thanks, after a few days observation it seems to be coming from the camshaft ends on the passenger side then dripping down, not sure if it's the tensioner or the camshaft end caps, but the kit from blauparts seems to include all the bits I need to I'll just order that. Looks like a fairly simple job luckily!

By the way can anyone show me a diagram or picture of the outlet of the crankcase breather before it goes into the plastic flexy tubing? I can't see it from the top

Chris
Old 06-04-2015, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also put a vented oil cap on.

These cars seem to gum up the crankcase vent system and any pressure built up makes little leaks bigger.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by N_Jay
Also put a vented oil cap on.

These cars seem to gum up the crankcase vent system and any pressure built up makes little leaks bigger.
Yeah, crankcase venting causes a headache on every car I know.

Right so I've fixed the breather system, and the oil leak was from the camshaft tensioner, so that's had new seals etc. and I even managed to do it without the special tool to push the camshaft tensioner down, which was so ****ly made (off ****bay) that when I screwed it in the thread sheared off and stuck in the block..oh well that will be someone else's problem.

Now I need to fix the trans output seal, as it is definitely leaking , tiny amount but a $10 seal can cause a lot of damage if left unchecked! What size torx do I need for the drivshaft CV joint bolts?

There also seems to be either brake or PAS fluid dripping down from the lower passenger side wishbone plate, is there any common fault here?

thanks,chris