A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Change my wiper blades, can anyone tell me what this thing attached to old blades?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change my wiper blades, can anyone tell me what this thing attached to old blades?

I changed my wiper blades, and the old drivers side blade has this attachment that seems to be some aero/ wind noise reduction purpose <--i'm guessing here...

what does it do, do i need it, and should there be one for the passenger side?

as always...thanks guys!

Old 12-02-2011, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's like a spoiler for the old frame type wipers. Holds it tight to the windshield at high speed otherwise the wind may cause wiper lift. They only care about the driver. Passenger doesn't need to see so doesn't get one.

Go for the new frameless Aero style wipers and it is not needed.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Aero aid...increases pressure on blade, reduces lift.
Just get a blade refill.
Btw, the avant rear wiper refil works for my 02 S6.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 5v/cyl
It's like a spoiler for the old frame type wipers. Holds it tight to the windshield at high speed otherwise the wind may cause wiper lift. They only care about the driver. Passenger doesn't need to see so doesn't get one.

Go for the new frameless Aero style wipers and it is not needed.
any recommendation on brand/model and possibly a link?
Old 12-03-2011, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160444350649...84.m1423.l2649
Old 12-03-2011, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

I really dislike the new cheap wiper blades. They're barely adequate around town and useless on the road or in snow/sleet. Their only advantage is the lesser cost to the OEM. They're also more expensive to replace.
They're kind of like all season tires...which aren't.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Couldn't i just get one of these blades (Evolution or Icon) or do I have to replace the wiper arms as well?
Old 12-03-2011, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jedblack
Couldn't i just get one of these blades (Evolution or Icon) or do I have to replace the wiper arms as well?
Yes. IIRC '02 and newer had the special Euro hookup so needed special wipers. Earlier years used the type of hook that will work with most universal blades that you can find at any auto store. Bosch, Trico, and other brands all make the Aero frameless style that will work. If your a Costco member you can get the Goodyear blades for cheap. All work great, but will be worn out in a year or two. Big deal they cheap and easy to replace.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

you can but i tried that route and i was still getting blade lift at 70 and that annoys me. New Aero arms and bracket less blades are the only way to go.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jedblack
any recommendation on brand/model and possibly a link?
I tend to run the Michelin Stealth which is a universal knock-off of the Aero style with built-in wing foil to help prevent lift at speed. Really good blade and dirt cheap at $9/blade at Costco. As SloopJohnB@mac.com noted, cheaper blades don't last as long as OEM but I find these tend to last at least 4 months and that's in the PNW winter where the wipers are going pretty much anytime the engine's running. Even if they don't last as long as OEM, at $9ea vs $30ea for OEM Aero's I'll take having to change them with slightly greater frequency.

They claim to be exclusive to Costco Canada so your mileage may vary, but if they're not carried by Costco in the US I'm sure there will be a similar alternative in the US stores.

Last edited by mithrilG60; 12-05-2011 at 08:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Change my wiper blades, can anyone tell me what this thing attached to old blades?