A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 2003 3.0L Oil Pressure Warning Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Unless the wiring has been damaged under the pan…like somebody decided they were better at engineering than Audi and decided to leave the bellypan off or damaged.
If the bellypan got damaged, inspect and repair any wiring damage and replace the bellypan. It's there for a reason.
This car came with no belly pan, I have been searching for one.

What are your thoughts about the cluster going bad?
Old 10-20-2015, 05:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Remove the wire from the oil pressure sensor, ground it. Does the oil light now stay off or continue to come on, that will tell you if its wiring or the cluster at fault. You could then go directly to the cluster, and ground the wire as close to the cluster as you can and eliminate all the cars wiring and be sure its the cluster. The dealer should have no issue installing a used cluster.
So wha am I suppose to experience when I ground the wire? This is new to me so I want to know what Im looking for. (sorry for the silly ?'s)

Grounding the wire from oil pressure will do _________?

Grounding the wire from cluster will do _________?

thanks
Old 10-22-2015, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Following!

I have had this problem for a while now. The warning comes on (then right off) only when the engine is warm and when slowing down, like driving off highway exit ramps. Following, with basically the same car (03 A6 3.0Q 133k), to hopefully find a solution to this!
Since it only happens at a specific time, I don't think it's an oil pressure switch issue in my case. I'm gathering it might be a clogged oil pickup screen from my research.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

If you remove the oil pan. There are 2 tubes that move oil from the oil pump to the block. They have rubber orings that I have had on a few occasions fail and cause low oil pressure. Does it seem to only happen when the engines warmed up? Or just totally random, it could be the cluster itself, or the wire from the sensor to the cluster touching ground or going open. Or I have seen the sensor wire breaks right inside at the pin in the connector and it intermittently looses connection.
What should one be looking for if it only happens when the engine is warm?
Old 10-24-2015, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by torturebori
So wha am I suppose to experience when I ground the wire? This is new to me so I want to know what Im looking for. (sorry for the silly ?'s)

Grounding the wire from oil pressure will do _________?

Grounding the wire from cluster will do _________?

thanks
Wire open or unplugged oil light will come on, if its grounded, it will think the pressure is fine and the light should stay off.

As far as if its warm why would pressure be lower, is the oil thins way out and any oil supply or pressure issue becomes very apparent. The leaking orings on the tubes in the oil pan is one that usually only happens when the oil is hot and thinned out. If the engine itself is just worn out it will have low oil pressure when hot also.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wire open or unplugged oil light will come on, if its grounded, it will think the pressure is fine and the light should stay off.

As far as if its warm why would pressure be lower, is the oil thins way out and any oil supply or pressure issue becomes very apparent. The leaking orings on the tubes in the oil pan is one that usually only happens when the oil is hot and thinned out. If the engine itself is just worn out it will have low oil pressure when hot also.
Thank you for this...Will try this out and report back when possible...

I will also need to try the ring deal before ruling all of the above out and taking her to a different mechanic(the one I use, that my wife didn't want to use for my daughter)
Old 05-14-2016, 03:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

SOLVED the darn issue!

I decided to change the only other thing I have not changed to try and get rid of this issue and it worked. It is the oil pressure switch located right above the oil filter. a few bucks and done!

I really hope this helps others out there.

See images
oil stain is from when I took the old one out.

closer look

screen shot of what it looks like. You do need a <br/>15/16 deep socket to get this bad boy out.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default That's good to hear!

Honestly I was more inclined to believe that the oil pressure sender was the only one left to resolve this problem.

Thanks for following up! It's important.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The only thing thing this car is missing is the under body cover. Any ideas on how to score one of these?
Old 05-15-2016, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by torturebori
The only thing thing this car is missing is the under body cover. Any ideas on how to score one of these?
Local wrecking yard, Audiworld classifieds or fleabay would be a good start.

Quick Reply: A6 2003 3.0L Oil Pressure Warning Light Issue